General Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
List of items that I DON'T LIKE about Cirrus:

- it should have a manual trim or some kind of a trim indicator
- does not have anything to discharge static electricity (almost unable to use radios in prolonged IMC)
- why flaps are non-essential? They do not drain electricity unless used and could be very useful if you have landing assured
- backup gauges - it would be nice to have them on a vacuum rather then everything electric
- no turn coordinator - no way to make timed turns if your PFD has failed
- many items on the checklist should be revised - specially on the "Runup"
- no way to see ice (specially clear ice) - should have something sticking out for a first indication
- location of the circuit breakers - just insane

Re: List of items that I DON'T LIKE about Cirrus: or not

Looks like no one gives a flying F__K about your off base comments, except me. And my response is as follows:

If you link and list were honest, that would be fine. The reality is that it is just a veiled excuse to visit a particular web site.
But it the interest of honesty, I did get suckered in, so here is the list albiet, a bit over-the-top and biased.

- it should have a manual trim or some kind of a trim indicator

a) you mean it should have just one more mechanical thing on an airplane. Thanks but no thanks. If my trim breaker pops, and will not reset (which has never happened) I will land and have it looked at. No big deal.

- does not have anything to discharge static electricity
(almost unable to use radios in prolonged IMC)

I can't say that this is absolutely no problem. In 500 hrs of all weather flying in my Cirrus, I have never experienced a problem of the magnitude suggested.
I have never been NORDO

- why flaps are non-essential? They do not drain electricity unless used and could be very useful if you have landing assured

That's right. Flaps are not essential. You can land and take off without them, at 50% or 100% Flaps are not for draining electricity. Truthfully. I don't understand this point. It is a bit incoherant

- backup gauges - it would be nice to have them on a vacuum rather then everything electric.

Well, you can put as much weight and backup gauges as you want, in the aircraft. All newer Cirrus after 2001 are electric. Modern is good. I believe that this is the same with Lance and most new aircraft. If you wish, you can stick with an old airplane. My CIrrus happens to have a dual vac system, although I admit to having an all electric Century HSI. It's just more reliable.

- no turn coordinator - no way to make timed turns if your PFD has failed
2000-2003 pre-PFD all have turn coordinators. That's just the nature of progress. Again, you can always buy an older plane or even, if you wish, install a turn coordinator. Mine is again, electric with battery backup.

- many items on the checklist should be revised - specially on the "Runup"

OK, so revise them. Each to his own.

- no way to see ice (specially clear ice) - should have something sticking out for a first indication

1) You are not supposed to be flying in ice? 2) Look out the window. 3) That's true, in a Piper or Cessna, you can stick your hand out of the window to detect ice for a 1st indication.

- location of the circuit breakers - just insane
Not the best, but I have not gone insane. In fact, it's not even a problem. Just learn your aircraft. They are all different, you know.

But, thank you for sharing your over-the-top, angry comments
Sincerly
An happy Cirrus owner

Re: List of items that I DON'T LIKE about Cirrus:

I could never figure out why a Cirrus owners are so tense and angry… maybe this airplane is not a perfect machine after all. I do have an extensive experience in SR20 but I also fly “older airplanes” too and I like them (in some respects even more). Items like a circuit breakers may not be an issue for you – but you are not an instructor in the right seat I take it.

so what's the question? I must have missed it.

You have missed it! Look at the first page.

The "I DON'T LIKES" you list are all items that you should have been aware of BEFORE you bought a Cirrus. If these issues really bother you, thank why did you buy a Cirrus? I think you should have a praise column for a manufacturer that finally had enough courage to change, modernize, and provide the safest aircraft ever built in history. Cirrus like every aircraft manafacturer will have its growing pains, but the Dale and Alan are continuing to provide the general aviation world with the greatest single engine aircraft and arent trying to milk the consumer like Cessna, Piper, Mooney, and Beechcraft. I look forward to the day when other GA manufacturers go bust for not changing their old outdated platforms, but continue to demand more and more money for the same old product.

Now I know what the problem is. We need to differentiate between critique and a criticism. There should be no need to be afraid to see things that may need improvement. I like Cirrus – otherwise I would not be flying it but… Is there anything wrong to try to point out some manufacturers “undermisdesigns” ;-)? Also – I was hoping that someone else would point it out: I miss “Blue lever” (prop control)…what do you think?

Radek:

I tend to agree with your comments about "the things I don't like about Cirrus" as well as other tense and angry Cirrus owners. I own an SR20 bought brand new. How the heck was I supposed to know about the things I wouldn't like before flying it for awhile. Also some things that stuck in my craw were they implied there was a weather option just around the corner, yea, a year later, they also said it might only cost about 3-4 thousand, yea, 9 thousand! Oh and another issue about the program they had where they would reimburse you if you got your instrument rating within a year of delivery. They lied and changed the meaning of the program to say only if you paid a certain amount above and beyond on the insurance, bla, bla bla. Ask Ian Bentley about that one. Keep up the good work.

Wow! Normal, intelligent Cirrus pilot. Welcome! What do you think we form ;-) INCOPA (smile) – Intelligent Normal Cirrus Owner & Pilot Association :D I hope there is more of us out there. If you have any questions…just ask. Intelligent and honest exchange of information was my primary intention behind FlyCirrus Network. And it is going to stay FREE. Eventually I hope to submit all gathered information to someone at Cirrus. It is a great aircraft…way to many little thinks to fix – however.

1 2