Return to Website

Doc's Personal Message Forum

Doc's Personal Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mary Derry's Will..............

First, this is the information I have on Old Moll's youngest daughter:

*MARY DERRY, b. 1811. A daughter of "Old Moll" & sister of Rhoda, Bazil & Jacob. Married (First name ukn.) FOWLER.

Known children of this union:

ANDREW, b. 1838 in Fayette County, PA

BASIL, b. 1845 in Fayette County, PA

MARY ELLEN, b. 1848 in Fayette County, PA

*Widow by the age of 39~ ref: 1850 PA Census

Now the Will

Will of Mary Derry

The last will and testament of Mary Derry of George Township Fayette Caounty State of Pennsylvania. In the name of God I Mary Derry considering the uncertainty of the mortal life and being of sound mind and memory blessed be almighty God for the same, do make this my last will and testament in manner and form following that is to say, first I give and bequeath unto my grand child Andrew Derry the son of Mary Fowler the house and lot where I now live in Haydentown or George Town lying and being in George Township in Fayette County and state above mentioned it being the whole of my freehold estate whatsoever to hold to him the said Andrew Derry his heirs and assigns forever whom I hereby appoint Mary Fowler sole Executrix of this my last will and testament hereby revoking all formers wills by me maid (sic). In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal the fifteenth day of May in the year of our Lord one thousand eighteen hundred and forty three.
Attest:
Jacob Dawson
Jacob Derry

?

Now the 1810 Maryland Census Index

Research Data -

1810 Maryland Census Index

Derry, James Kent 229 No TWP

Schultz, C. Balt 296 Baltimore
Schultz, Frederick Balt 169 Baltimore
Schultz, John Balt 295 Baltimore

1820 Census Index - Pennsylvania

Derry, Bazel Fayette 159 Georges
Derry, Jacob Fayette 159 Georges
Derry, London Fayette 110 Washington
Derry, Mary Fayette 159 Georges
Derry, Phebe Fayette 159 Georges
Derry, Phillip Fayette 101 Springhill

1840 Census Index - Pennsylvania

Derry, B. Fayette 298 Georges
Derry, Mark Fayette 230 Washington
Derry, Murry Fayette 297 Georges
Derry, Solomon Fayette 230 Washington

1850 Census Index - Pennsylvania

Derry, Bazil Fayette 048 Georges TWP
Derry, Jacob Fayette 048 Georges TWP
Derry, Solomon Fayette 378 Washington TWP
Derry, Mary Fayette 047 Georges

1850 - Census, Fayette County, Pennsylvania
Georges TWP p. 48
12 12
Mary Derry 39 F Widow Pa
Andrew 12 M Pa
Bazil 5 M Pa
Mary E. 2 F Pa

19 19
Bazil Derry 50 M Farmer Md
Mary 57 F Md
Charity P. 16 F Pa
Lavina 14 F Pa

24 24
Jacob Derry 32 M Shoemaker 100 Pa
Nancy 28 F Pa
Mary E. 10 F Pa
Bazil 5 M Pa
Melechor 4 M Pa
Margaret Hartman 24 F Pa
George 22 M Laborer Pa
Josiah Mitchell 21 M Do. Va

35 35
Alexander Brownfield 53 M Farmer 3000 Pa
Martha 48 F NJ
Merker Hartman 62 M Farmer Md

1852 - La Fayette - Marriages of Fayette Co.

George Hartman, farmer, s/o Melker and Mary Hartman, born in Georges Twp, now residing in Georges Twp., and Charetta Phebe Derry, d/o Bazel and Mary Derry, were married 23 Dec 1852 in Georges Twp. in a legal ceremony by G.W. Hertzog of Smithfield.

1860 Census - Fayette Co., PA Georges TWP

1395 1391
Derry, Bazzil 74 M Old Gent Pa
Mary 72 F Pa

1402 1398
Derry, Jacob 45 M Shoe Maker Pa
Nancy 40 F Va
Mary E. 19 F Pa
Bazzil 17 M Shoe Maker Pa
Melchi 16 M Pa
Margaret Hartman 33 F Domestic Pa

1861 - La Fayette - Marriages of Fayette Co.

Gaskins, William and Mary Ellen Derry, both of Georges Twp. married on 27 Dec. 1861 by Lewis Hunter Esq. (9 Jan 1862)

1870 Pennsylvania Census Index

Derry, Basil 83 M W PA Fayette Co., Georges TWP 1342-172

7/4/90 - Information from Arch Miller as written in his book. (brackets are my comments)
Arch Miller
c/o Barbershop
Fairchance, PA 15436

Polly Shultz - There was supposed to be a write-up in the Pittsburgh paper listing witches and she was on the list. It is possible she just beleived in omens & superstitions and in those days the people thought she was a witch. (born before our time)

Charlotte Phoebe Derry married George Hartman Dec. 23, 1852 by Rev. G.W. Hertzog in Smithfield, Pa. Parents of George were Melker & Mary Hartman.

In 1884 Jacob transferred a piece of property to Basil his brother.

Basil Derry Polly Shultz
b. around 1787 MD b. 1788 still listed
d. between 1870-1880 in 1880 census
Shoemaker (leather) bn in MD

Jacob - Nancy Hartman
Barbara - John Bates
Charlotte Phobe - George Hartman
Kathryn - Samuel Huntly
Lavina - William Emme
Basil - single (Smithfield)
Sofe - Henry Roderick
1. Charlotte Phoebe - 1834
2. Lavina - 1835
3. Jacob - 1815
4. Nancy - 1822
5. Basil - 1845
6. Melicher - 1846
7. Barbary - 1823 Basil Jr. died 3-22-1917

Lavina Derry
b. Sep 2, 1835
d. Nov 14, 1927
youngest of children
bad temper
Basil Derry/Polly Shultz
lived around Haydentown, Pa. They are buried at Rubles Mill in a field opposite Paul School on the farm.

Shacklet
Henry Roderick & Jones buried there.

Basil Derry - 1786

Now the file named: Derry, Bosil - 1765

Naturalizations:

Derry, George 25, Philadelphia, PA 1774 2128 p. 77
Derry, George 25, Philadelphia, PA 1774 9151 p. 299

7/4/90 - Information from Arch Miller as written in his book. (brackets are my comments)
Arch Miller
c/o Barbershop
Fairchance, PA 15436

Balser Derry
b. Germany Basil
Adolph
Jacob - 1815

The Derry home place was located halfway up Derry Hill off to the left in the field. Derry Hill is located 3 miles South of Haydentown on the route _______ late. The home place was a stone house on the back road behind Charlie Gates this being the road in the valley east of the main road.

1843 - Will of Mary Derry - Will Book 2 p. 282 - Fayette County, PA

The last will and testament of Mary Derry of George Township Fayette County State of Pennsylvania. In the name of God I Mary Derry considering the uncertainty of the mortal life and being of sound mind and memory blessed be almighty God for the same, do make this my last will and testament in manner and form following that is to say, first I give and bequeath unto my grand child Andrew Derry the son of Mary Fowler the house and lot where I now live in Haydentown or George Town lying and being in George Township in Fayette County and state above mentioned it being the whole of my freehold estate whatsoever to hold to him the said Andrew Derry his heirs and assigns forever whom I hereby appoint Mary Fowler sole Executrix of this my last will and testament hereby revoking all formers wills by me maid (sic). In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal the fifteenth day of May in the year of our Lord one thousand eighteen hundred and forty three.
Attest:
Jacob Dawson
Jacob Derry
[Will proved 17 June 1843, Jacob Dawson testified before Joseph Gadd, Register for the probate, that the will of Mary Derry, late of George Township, is as it is purported to be.]
Bosil Derry-1765  

4 &T  &S   +Brewer,George W. - 1803 WDBNMSWD     ׋ c   +Brewer,Grady G. - 1896r

Question: Is this BOSIL-1765, the husband of Mary "Old Moll" Derry?
Any takers?