Return to Website

The dB's Messageboard

The dB's Online Message Board is somewhat unmediated. Be nice. Your messages are welcome, but there are no promises that they will reach or be replied to by members of the band. Your suggestions for features are also welcome and will be considered for future inclusion. We request that you not post personal information, including email addresses, about anyone besides yourself without that person's permission. Don't forget to be funny.

The dB's Messageboard
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: dBs tribute update

Apparently, there's some mention of Stand-ins for Decibels in today's USA Today which attributes some contribution from the Hootie guys, which I'm sure, by now, you all know is not the case. Unless you count Jamie Hoover (who has subbed for me) and Don Dixon, who produced the Hooties on a couple of occasions. Just so's you knows...

Re: Re: Re: dBs tribute update

Here's the relevant part of the article:

Tributes can be the sincerest form of flattery
By Edna Gundersen, USA TODAY
This year's assortment of tribute albums leans strongly toward heavyweight rock veterans, particularly legends of the '60s. USA TODAY assesses the attributes and failings of nine, and, with the help of ICE magazine, previews more on the way.

[Article goes on to mention a bunch of said such albums and then mentions the dB's as follows:]

Coming up

Stand-ins for DeciBels: A Tribute to the dBs

Contributors include Don Dixon, members of Hootie & The Blowfish, The Smithereens and Brian Wilson's band. Nov. 8.

Now available on Amazon.com... & Editorial Review

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000BTJC6S/qid=1131627221/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl15/104-8202313-3431921?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

Editorial Review on Amazon.com:
Editorial Reviews
About the Artist
Formed in 1978 in Winston-Salem, NC, the original lineup of the band featured Chris Stamey (guitar, vocals, keyboards), Gene Holder (bass), and Will Rigby (drums). All three members had spent time in Stamey's legendary group, the Sneakers, a group he co-founded with Mitch Easter.

The original dB's (singer/guitarists Peter Holsapple and Chris Stamey, drummer Will Rigby, bassist Gene Holder), native North Carolinians transplanted to NYC who were at the vanguard of the jangle-pop movement of the late-'70s and '80s

Since the dB's initial years together, Holsapple played with R.E.M. and now tours with Hootie & the Blowfish. Rigby drums for Steve Earle's group, and Holder has a studio career in New York/New Jersey. Stamey issues albums as a solo artist (recently in collaboration with Yo La Tengo) and produced such acts as Ryan Adams, Caitlin Cary, Alejandro Escovedo , and Tift Merritt in his studio in Chapel Hill, N.C.

Re: dBs tribute update

I just ordered both the dB's tribute and Windbreakers 20 track best of.

...and I'm damned happy I did.

Re: dBs tribute update - miscredit for track# 16

Seems there was a miscredit on the CD & Paisley Pop website for track# 16 - From A Window.

this track was actually performed and produced by TANGERINE TROUSERS

(also if you buy the CD, you will notice in the liner notes for this track, the trumpet was miscredited too. the actual trumpeter was BOBBY PARKER)

peace
m.

Re: miscredit for track# 16 - OOPS - missed one

sorry to take up more forum space ... there was a third miscredit in the liner notes.

actual drummer is MICHAEL HACALA

peace
m.

Re: dBs tribute update

My copy arrived in the mail this weekend and I couldn't be happier with it! Most of the arrangements don't stray too far from the originals and I think that only proves the strength of the songwriting. (Sometimes it's the SONG, not the singer.) A few of the "reimaginings" are real highpoints: Spike Priggen's rocked-up "If & When," Matt Keating's understated "Amplifier," the Brown Mountain Lights country-swing take on "Nothing Is Wrong," etc. And so cool to hear so many long-time faves involved: Bill Lloyd, Jon Graboff, Don Dixon, Probyn Gregory, Mitch Easter, Steve Almaas, Robert Crenshaw, Jamie Hoover, Bobby Sutliff, Tim Lee, Chris Butler, Dennis Diken....Big thanks to Jim at Paisley Pop!

Biography | Discography | Scrapbook | Multimedia
Message Board | Links | Store | Home

© 2001 The dB's
ThedBs@ThedBsOnline.net
Site Design by Exploded View