WORKING DOGS OF THE SOUTH DISCUSSION

WE HAVE MOVED TO A NEW BOARD!!

http://members.boardhost.com/wdofthesouth/

WORKING DOGS OF THE SOUTH DISCUSSION
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Question for Scott or Jay

I was told to ask either one of you guys if you could tell me a particular dogs score. I can't find it on the ASR website. I don't know the trail date or year.
It was an ASR entry level. The dog's name is Punchlines Bronx Tale. He's a Pit Bull. Also if you remember the dog,can tell me what you thought of his performance. You can email it to me if not allowed on board.

Thanks in advance
Paula

Re: Question for Scott or Jay

Hi Paula,

Is this a dog owned by Chris Fraize? With call name Bronx?

If so, they scored a 119/170 in entry level at the trial in Boston in 2001.

I was not at that trial, nor was Scott, so I can't give you any commentary on the dog. Sorry.

Jay

Type of dogs owned: mals

Jay
Yes,that is the dog.
In the near future i am going to be looking for a dog from working lines and was interested in Bronx. It's pretty hard to find any working breeders of Pit Bulls. So i am trying to do my research early.
Thanks for the score.

Paula

Hi Paula,
If you're looking for a good breeder of working Pits, you may want to contact Leri Hanson in So. Cal. I love a good Pit, and Leri seems to know what she's doing with them.

Chris puts out some nice dogs as well, so I guess it's really a matter of exactly what you're after.

Best of luck to you.
Scott

Paula,
If your heart is set on a pit for protection/sport then I guess your heart is set on it, but I delt with Pitbulls for a LONG time. I was really big into weight pulling with them and I have always trained protection though not to the extent that I do today. I use to have all game bred bloodlines for weight pulling because their heart and tenacity and just "CAN DO ANYTHING" attitude was king on the pull track. However, Pits that can do "TRUE" man protection work is as you may know already very few and far in between. I have some I use to train, and still own one now that is an absolute beast. There is no doubt I would have a great shot at ASR 3 with him. He is very serious and loves confrontation with man, and really has nothing but the greatest of intentions of hurting you when he gets on you (He's living with my mother-in-law who is home alone several days out of the week do to my father-in-laws job). I never ever was successful nor saw anyone else at picking a pitbull pup for protection. You really don't know if they truely have what it takes for the training until their like 8mo old and older. They're arent' many working (protection) pitbull breeders because it's a huge gamble with the odds squarely NOT in your corner. I would suggest finding one that you can evaluate such as I stated that is older and would be displaying those protection traits. I can bet you'd go through several full litters of pups before you turned up one. If I had one that looked like he'd be a good one then I tested him and went from there. Of course I had at one time roughly 26 dogs at any given time. And because I had them for a different purpose I could sit on them and evaluate them for which ones were capable of protection work. Just wanted to reinforce what you may already know it will be be like finding a needle in a haystack looking for a pit capable of true protection work. Another thing that has been my experience is that it's not a trait that is normally handed down from the parents like one would think. I kept these four that I had that over the years turned out to be great protection dogs, but when I tried to breed them to see if I pass this down and produce more prospects, after 4 generations I was still where I was before I started. So I'm convinced from just all the time I spent with pits they don't pass down protection traits. It's just like some random pick a card as to which pup if any will grow up with the potential for true manwork. So since I'm rambling now I'll end this with finding a true protection pitbull is IMO purely luck of the draw when it comes to a pup and out of a litter of say 11-12 (which I use to have all the time) every other litter might produce a "possible" candidate. But alot of times the one prospect would turn out to have temperment issues and would be culled. So finding one that can complete the evaluation check list all the way down hitting every block is probably 1 in 8 litters. I am also speaking of gamebred lines, the non-gamebred lines have way, way to many health problems. The likes of which are not seen in the gamebred lines. Also, temperments are not that great and IMO very unstable in the non-gamebred lines (showlines, or AKC amstaff lines)

Type of dogs owned: Malinuts

Scott
Someone else reccomended Leri to me also. i will def check her out when I am ready.
Thanks

Chris,
I know I have my work cut out for me. Thanks for all the suggestions.

It would be really nice if you guys had a club up here in the North East. Hint Hint.
Is there any plans of any one starting one in the Tri State area?

RE: TriState Area?

TriState Area? Is that North of Atlanta?

John Grasta in NY was looking to start a group. Dom Rozzi is in ME and does this type of work as well. Both can be contacted through this board, or shoot me an email, and I'll put you in touch.

Happy and SAFE Training,
Scott

Paula,
Where are you located? I get sporadic emails all the time from people inquiring about what has turned me on so much about ASR. I'd be happy to keep track of your location and try and help you find others intrested in your immediate area.
~CHRIS DUHON

Hi Paula,

Bronx did ASR early in his trial career. He passd but just barely. More my fault than his. We went to the trial to support a friend with entries.

Leri has some great APBT's. She is also very honest. You can also try Howard Burgess in MI. He has some OUTSTANDING dogs.

I really don't breed much at all. Only when I need an APBT to work.

On another note,
I have to say that I did not enjoy my ASR experience under the old management. However, it seems like they have a great bunch of folks involved at this point. If a trial ever come around the local area I would be happy to enter again.

Safe training,
Chris Fraize

Type of dogs owned: APBT, Dutchies, Mals and GSD

Chris Sez: "If a trial ever come around the local area I would be happy to enter again."

Scott Sez: Hmmmmmm.....Scott in Maine again...J.R. Maxwells...PrimeRib...cheap RobsterCraws...

Chris, I DARE you to give me an excuse to come back to Maine....no, make that I DOUBLE-DOGG DARE YOU!!!!

Hey, are you doing your normal Winter Rock 'Em Sock 'Em event again this year?

"On another note,
I have to say that I did not enjoy my ASR experience under the old management. However, it seems like they have a great bunch of folks involved at this point. If a trial ever come around the local area I would be happy to enter again. " ~CHRIS FRAIZE

Chris,
I wasn't around under the "OLD" program, but have heard a few horror stories. There's folks that were involved then, that are still now and say they absolutely love it today. Based on my understanding of the old program and what has been re-born today there is much much more organization, professionalism (without loosing that goofy Scott Whigham atmosphere
) This is the fairest most integrity driven program around today IMO. Ted did a wonderful thing implementing a BoD's and the board we have today will be hard to follow, but they have definatly set the standard for organizational leadership. Every now and then we have to go over to the webmaster's house (who happens to be a Board member) ring his doorbell at 3AM in the morning, wait for him to open the door and Barry Bonds his azz upside his head and tell him to fix the website . But other than that I'm very happy to say that is the extent of our gripes, when looking at what others are facing today, it can definatly be said we have "NO" problems.

Duhon Say: "Every now and then we have to go over to the webmaster's house (who happens to be a Board member) ring his doorbell at 3AM in the morning, wait for him to open the door and Barry Bonds his azz upside his head and tell him to fix the website."

Scott Say: Don't you mean 'Ring his Bell?" Yeah...those 3AM 'visits' can be an eye-opener to say the least. I GOTTA start leaving Walker loose at night....that oughta take care of things

Where are you located? I get sporadic emails all the time from people inquiring about what has turned me on so much about ASR. I'd be happy to keep track of your location and try and help you find others intrested in your immediate area.
~CHRIS DUHON

Chris
I am in NY but also very near NJ. i am going to speak with John G. but he is like 5 1/2 hours from me. So if you find any others closer to me maybe we could get together.
Thanks
Paula

Scott W (and anyone else!)

Hi Scott,

You are always welcome at our place and at our tournaments. We would love to have you at "The Frostbite". Our winter personal protection tournament. It is a bit different. "The Frostbite" is more tatics and handling than a test of the dog. But a hell of a lot of fun for a practial purpose.

If you ever hear of an ASR trial in the Northeast, PLEASE let me know. We would be happy to support the trial with entries.

Safe training,
Chris Fraize

Type of dogs owned: APBT, Dutchies, Mals and GSD

RE: Big Fun up DownEast

Hiya Chris,

Thank you for the kind words. I've not been able to be in the state when you held your ActonToughDog comps, but some friends have been kind enough to provide vids.....I LOVE that! My favourite was the poker table scenario....man....your dog has GOT to be under control for that.

If I ever hear of a trial? How about we MAKE one happen?

For the record...the trial you attended was a complete disaster for a LOT of reasons...you know what most of them are. Rest assured, nothing like that will ever happen again.

Shoot me an email with a phone number...we HAVE to chat!!!

Happy and SAFE Training,
Scott

Ok, this is when I have to just throw in there would be great support up that way for a trial. A few people trying to form clubs up that way. Just thought I'd throw that in there

Hey chris PM me or call me.......

Type of dogs owned: Mals

CHRIS FRAIZE

LONG TIME . THIS WILL BE MY THIRD TIME BACK IN ASR . I DO HAVE TO SAY IT HAS CHANGED FOR THE BETTER. THE LAST TIME I COMPETED IN FLORIDA I HAD A BLAST . I REALLY LIKE ASR THE WAY IT IS TODAY. I also like my other venues but asr is fun for me again. I wish i had more time for it ( DIFFERNT DOGS DIFFERNT SPORTS HARD TO BALNCE TIME ) but what can you do

FRANKIE

frankie

Type of dogs owned: MALI

Frankie!

How are ya man?????

Thanks for the advice! I think we will give it a try.

I remember the first ASR Boston trial when you got BLASTED in the NUTZ on the muzzle attack! A lesser decoy would have quit! You were and are still THE MEN!

Hope all is well with you and yours!

Safe training,
Chris Fraize

Type of dogs owned: APBT, Mal, Dutchies, GSD