Home | Download | Purchase | Support

DIY DataRecovery.nl

Logfile too large to paste into your forum message?

SUBMIT LOGFILE HERE
Welcome to the DIY DataRecovery Support Forum!

The Forum is monitored working days from 9.00 AM - 5.00 PM (Central European Time).

IMPORTANT! This forum is no longer monitored and is read-only. Visit our new forum!

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Error #1500 , Bad boot signature byte reported by Partition Magic

Hello,

According to Symantec this is related to the boot sector of an individual *NTFS* partition. If I am not mistaking you have no NTFS partitions there at all ...

The partition table on the disk found at 128 (I assume you RAID array), looks perfrectly normal.

At what point does PartitionMagic throw up the error? Is it right at the start, or when you select an individual partition?

On weird thing is, a disk we see at 129 when we query the BIOS what disks are present:
129 | .....20808 | ..3 | 17 | ..0

Possibly PartitionMagic is confused by. Does the error also occur when you run PartitionMagic from it's rescue diskettes? And, is there another storage device attached apart from the array, and if yes, what is it?

--
Kind regards,
Joep

Size of subject harddisk: Haarlem - Netherlands - Europe

Hi,

When the drive got damaged, I had one of the partitions as NTFS. But, I cleared the P-table, FDisked and formated each drive individually as FAT32. Then, using a DOS version of PQMagic, I repartioned. Lastly, I connected them back into an array as RAID-0.

I was previously getting the 'Bad boot signature byte', but now that I cleared and rebuilt the P-Table I don't get that error anymore. In fact, all seems fine until I try to install WinXP. Then I get the message that Windows can't see any hard drives.

I only have the two hard drives connected to my system (for the raid array). No other drives are present.

Why can't my WinXP CD see the array? I did install the raid card's driver when prompted.

Operating system / Service Pack: DiskPatch 1.0 Demo

Size of subject harddisk: Arizona, USA

BTW,

I just received Error #2001, "FAT copies are not identical" from PQMagic. Sheesh. Can you tell me how I can salvage these drives? I don't want to save any data. I just want to get them to work properly. Thanks.

Operating system / Service Pack: DiskPatch 1.0 Demo

Size of subject harddisk: Arizona, USA

Hello,

We can not trouble shoot PartitionMagic or Windows not seeing disk problems here, I am sorry.

Some general advise:

- Get you hard disk manufacturer's tool to check out the hard disks, see if they're okay.

- use that tool to wipe the hard disks clean.

After that, you know the disks are okay, and nothing on the disks can possibly be in the way.

--
Kind regards,
Joep

Size of subject harddisk: Haarlem - Netherlands - Europe