Home | Download | Purchase | Support

DIY DataRecovery.nl

Logfile too large to paste into your forum message?

SUBMIT LOGFILE HERE
Welcome to the DIY DataRecovery Support Forum!

The Forum is monitored working days from 9.00 AM - 5.00 PM (Central European Time).

IMPORTANT! This forum is no longer monitored and is read-only. Visit our new forum!

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Recovery Works, but every file 0kb ??!

Hi There,

I am using full version iRecovery copying files from NTFS to NTFS. When scanning the drive it goes well, it finds many files and folders etc: . I select the files and folders i would like to retrive and it copy's them all to my other NTFS drive, when selecting the dir's and files it does display the size of them in megs etc: so there is definatly somthing on there. Although once it has completed the recovery all files and folders on the disk are 0KB. Cannot open any files so they are definatly 0kb . My question is why when displaying the 'tree' so to speak of dir's and files it tells me a folder or file is 10megs (for example) and when this is retrieved off the disk it is 0kb.

Any help would be VERY VERY appreciated.

Thankyou

Barry

Operating system / Service Pack: iRecovery

Size of subject harddisk: sydney

Re: Recovery Works, but every file 0kb ??!

I have just read in some FAQ's that this is due to iRecover not being able to put some parts of the file back together. Is there any fix for this at all ?!?

Operating system / Service Pack: iRecovery

Size of subject harddisk: sydney

Hello,

Did you load a state file (from demo for example) rather than scanning the drive again. I am asking because that's when we sometimes see files are 0 Kb and are recovered as 0 Kb files.

If you did load the state file and started selecting files after that, try re-scanning the drive.

What happened to the drive (so how was the data lost : reformatting, virus etc.)?

--
Kind regards,
Joep

Size of subject harddisk: Haarlem - Netherlands - Europe

OK - I did a scan, saved the scan, and recovered the one directory of data for free on the demo.

Everything looked good - so I paid the money and got the license code.

Now - when a load up the 'state file' - every file recovery comes up with a 0K empty file.

This message says to rescan the drive. Well - my scan started on Wednesday, was at 80% complete on Saturday, and completed some time between then and Tuesday. So - rescanning is not the option I want to follow since it will take probably 5 days.

What option do I have to load a saved 'state file' that will work?

Product you are using: iRecover

Operating system / Service Pack: XP SR2

Size of subject harddisk: 250GB - Maxtor One Touch

Hello,

"Now - when a load up the 'state file' - every file recovery comes up with a 0K empty file.

This message says to rescan the drive. Well - my scan started on Wednesday, was at 80% complete on Saturday, and completed some time between then and Tuesday. So - rescanning is not the option I want to follow since it will take probably 5 days."

Try loading, instead of for example stage 4, stage 3. Then the disk scan is already behind you. Of, if you load stage 4 you can restore up to identification data or volume paramaters.

BTW, a scan of 5 days is highly unusual unless you're scanning a really huge disk or if the disk's physical state is not well at all.

--
Kind regards,
Joep

Loading at stage 3 did the trick. If I missed this suggestion in the manual, I'm sorry. If not - it would be a good idea to add this to the manual. I assumed after stage 4 was complete, and data was recoverable without problems, that there was no need to backup a step. Not sure why you can't load it at stage 4 - maybe the program doesn't save a copy of the rebuilt directory...

As for the length of the scan, it seemed to go quickly (given the disk had 490 million blocks) up to 190 million blocks. Then it started hitting bad blocks, some sequential, some separated by 100s, 100s, 100,000s....so this is where it slowed down. Not sure if the disk actually had a problem, maybe there was no data there and the initial formatting had problems... By the way, my disk had its problems after Windows XP locked up at one point with CTRL-ALT-DEL not working, so I had to power off. After rebooting, the drive showed up as the proper letter: but Windows didn't see a directory. I haven't tried reformatting the drive yet to see if there are actual physical problems.

And maybe I really didn't need to use iRecover - maybe MBRtool or DiskPatch would have fixed my problems a lot quicker....

Also - this was a USB2 drive, so even at 480 Mbp speed - maybe this is slower that a direct IDE, EIDE, SCSI, etc.

Thanks again...

Product you are using: iRecover

Operating system / Service Pack: XP SR2

Size of subject harddisk: 250GB - Maxtor One Touch