Home | Download | Purchase | Support

DIY DataRecovery.nl

Logfile too large to paste into your forum message?

SUBMIT LOGFILE HERE
Welcome to the DIY DataRecovery Support Forum!

The Forum is monitored working days from 9.00 AM - 5.00 PM (Central European Time).

IMPORTANT! This forum is no longer monitored and is read-only. Visit our new forum!

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Runtime Error 380

Hi all,

I made a image of a newly created WinXP partition 6 months ago. Today I tried to restore this and I get always Runtime Error 380 and HD Workbench leaves.
It is also not possible to mount the image.
What is behind this error?

Tanks a lot - Tobias

Product you are using: HD Workbench

Operating system / Service Pack: Win XP

Size of subject harddisk: 60GB

Re: Runtime Error 380

Hello Tobias,

I have never seen the error before. Error 380 means the program does not get the data it expects at some point. So for example, it may expact a numeric value it can perform some calculation on while the data passed is for example a string.

At exactly what point does the error pop-up? Also, what file system is in the image file, and is the image file a truncated file or a complete image?

The partition you are restoring to; is is it formatted the same file system as the image file?

--
Kind regards,
Joep

Size of subject harddisk: Haarlem - Netherlands - Europe

Hi Joep

thanks for your answer.
The error occurs when I have everything selected to restore the image file. This all works fine, but after I press "restore", error 380 appears.
The disk image was made of the complete disc I try now to restore and contains the system image.
It is a 10GB NTFS partition and image and disk are recognized by HD Workbench to be of the same size.
The image itself is stored compressed on an external drive, can this be a problem?

Sincerely - Tobias

Product you are using: HD Workbench

Operating system / Service Pack: Win XP

Size of subject harddisk: 60GB

Hello,

"The image itself is stored compressed on an external drive, can this be a problem?"

What do you mean exactly? How compressed (native NTFS compression - that *SHOULD* be transparent and work ... )? The external drive is formatted NTFS?

--
Joep

"
What do you mean exactly? How compressed (native NTFS compression - that *SHOULD* be transparent and work ... )? The external drive is formatted NTFS?
"

Hi JOep,

it is a native NTFS compression (blue filename). ALso the external drive is formatted as NTFS.

Sincerely - Tobias

Bummer!

Yes, that all should work, so that probably isn't our problem. After all, if HD Workbench already showed you the destination drive and the image file match, it did already successfully open the image file and drive once. So let's assume the image file can accessed and read from.

You can not mount it either. What's the file extension of the image file? Truncated NTFS images (.RAWT) can not be mounted anyway.

I'd try to copy the image file to an uncompressed fixed disk anyway and try to restore from there. Let me know if that's possible.

Do you have a disk editor, like Winhex or are you familiar with Linux?

--
Joep

I can use a hex editor. What can I see in the image file when I open it with a hex editor?

Hello,

Could you save to the first 10 sectors or so to a binary file and sent me that file (support@diydatarecovery.nl)?

--
Joep

Size of subject harddisk: haarlem - Netherlands - Europe

Hi Joep,

I have sent you the material. Did you get it?
Sincerely - Tobias

Hello,

No I didn't receive that yet. Could you resent please? Maybe both to support@diydatarecovery.nl AND support@diydatarecovery.com, just to make sure ...

--
Kind regards,
Joep

Hello,

Yes I have it now. Looks normal enough ... It appears the original partition size is 15 Gb or so (30716216 sectors) and not 10. But as long as the destination disk and the image file agree on the size there shouldn't be a problem.

I asked before, what the extension of the image file was and you haven't answered that I think (RAWT or RAWC).

With what hex editor did you grab the sectors from the image file?

--
Joep

Hi Joep,

sorry for not having answered your question.
I am currently on the road, so I can look at the file
on Saturday the first time. When I remember correctly, it is a RAWC ending.
The hex editor was HexEdit : http://www.hexedit.com/

Sincerely - Tobias