Return to Website

Just a Minute Inspirational E-mails - Have a say

Discuss topics or questions contained within our Inspirational E-mails

Just a Minute Inspirational E-mails - Have a say
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The (Un) Holy Church

THE (UN)HOLY CHURCH is from "The Diary", a selection of articles edited by Just a Minute List Director John Leach. You can meet John at http://justaminute.mybravenet.com/meet_john_leach.html.

Have you ever wondered why some churches dwindle away while others flourish?

There is a very interesting parable starting at the 9th verse of the 18th Chapter of the Gospel according to St. Luke.

Jesus tells it like this: "Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee, the other a tax man. The Pharisee posed and prayed like this: 'Oh, God, I thank you that I am not like other people - robbers, crooks, adulterers, or, heaven forbid, like this tax man. I fast twice a week and tithe on all my income."

"Meanwhile the tax man, slumped in the shadows, his face in his hands, not daring to look up, said 'God, give mercy. Forgive me, a sinner'."

Jesus commented: "This tax man, not the other, went home made right with God. If you walk around with your nose in the air, you are going to end up flat on your face, but if you're content to be simply yourself, you will become more than yourself.."

Jesus told this story to some who were complacently pleased with themselves over their moral performance and looked down their noses at the common people. (The above Scripture portion has been taken from the "The Message" - Eugene H. Peterson ISBN 1-86852-169-9 Hardcover)

We have all read that particular piece of Scripture, probably 100 times in our lives but have you ever wondered what ever happened to the "tax man" - the "common" person as Jesus so aptly put it.

Well maybe this "common" man did something like this - He wrote a letter to his Church. Here is that letter.

Dear Reverend Ken,

I am writing to tell you that Mary and I will not be attending worship this Sunday or any other Sunday for that matter. We regret having to take this action but it is a decision we have long prayed upon.

By way of explanation it is very apparent that Mary and I don't fit in to this church as we have been made to feel most unwelcome and in fact we feel second-class and unworthy. The church has always been a tense place and Mary and I feel decidedly uncomfortable during and after worship.

We had been prepared to put up with this but following the Bible study last Fall, when I said that Jesus was part of my life and that I had a personal relationship with Him, Mary and I have been the brunt of continued "whispering" campaigns and the subject of some malicious gossip. I really regret being so open about my love for Jesus.

I did not realise that you had to be part of the "God Club" to know Jesus and that there were special rules involved in gaining membership. We didn't know God required you to look so unhappy. Unfortunately we have failed because Mary and I just cannot help smiling about how wonderful Jesus is. We didn't know that your were supposed to keep Jesus a secret.

Please accept our apology for being so out of line with the church elders and we regret any inconvenience we have caused.

As from next week we will be attending the church on East Side. I know the congregation does not approve of the Reverend there because he has a nose stud but there is something about him that really excites us. He talks about Jesus all the time, just like as if He were there with us.

I know Reverend Ken that you are concerned for us mixing with the sort of people at this church. The man sitting next to me last week told me he was an alcoholic. He had been off the drink for a year now and he really needed the help of the others in the congregation to keep sober.

The prostitute lady that you rang the police about is here, too, but she has given that all up and she is just so helpful to Mary and me.

One man has aids but that doesn't seem to worry anybody. When the wine went round they all drank out of the same cup. Mary and I thought, well, if it is good enough for them it is good enough for us, too.

We really love the Bible studies. They always seem to turn into people giving personal testimonies and I am really amazed how God has worked true miracles. You won't believe this Reverend Ken but they believe God can actually heal and do miracles like He did in the Bible.

Don't you be concerned for us. We seem to fit in here. I am sure your congregation will be pleased that we have left because we were always a nuisance and under suspicion.

Yours in Christ,

Josh

It's sad, isn't it? But the story gets worse. The Reverend Ken wrote back.

Dear Josh and Mary,

Your letter advising that your were leaving us came as both a shock and a surprise.

I was aware that you had issues and impaired relations with many of the congregation members but I was of the opinion that you were maturing in your faith.

I have spoken to the district church authorities and although we can see you have a point of view, we are not prepared to take any action as the local congregation is most settled and supports this administration.

Be assured that we will be praying for your salvation.

Reverend Ken.

That was five years ago. Reverend Ken no longer has a church. It folded a year ago as it was deemed to be "non-viable."

The "administration" has now merged with another denomination.

The East Side Chapel has more than 2000 worshipping members. It has six Sunday services, its own FM radio station, the young minister has removed his nose stud, and appears on many Coast to Coast television evangelism programs.

As for Josh and Mary - Josh has given up his job and is doing religious studies and will be ordained into the full-time ministry in two years time. Mary works part time in the Chapel's school evangelism outreach.

Is there any need to repeat Jesus' words. We don't think so!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you have an ache in your heart for God, share it with our Prayer Warriors at http://justaminute.mybravenet.com/prayer_form.html. Here you have friends waiting to pray with you. You can either compose your own prayer or just select the default text so you know someone out there is caring for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~