It is our hope that this can become a place to discuss the comings and goings of our neighborhood; a forum to dialogue about the events and affairs that shape our common future and a platform for us to reaffirm our love for this community. Please note that this is an almost completely unmoderated message board. Read & post accordingly. Before creating a new thread we suggest that you first search this forum using the space below, and to the right. Please don't feed the trolls. Now supporting BBCode.
Forum: NorthernLiberties.org - A Community Bulletin Board - Northern Liberties, Philadelphia </title> <meta name="verify-v1" content="HeF2q/cFsxZZYpzecat4Zh6FizsWSfGuDAzUFteHHnM=" />
This forum is locked and posting is not allowed
« | | 1 | 2 | | »
Author
Comment
Homicide at 7th and Girard last night

I just read this on the NBC10 web site.

Shooting In Northern Liberties
Philadelphia police are investigating another murder in the city that happened just after midnight in Northern Liberties.

Police said that started out as an argument turned into homicide when 23-year-old Rhashe Allen died after he was shot in the head.

The shooting took place near the intersection of 7th and Girard streets. The gunman got away.

It is the 350th homicide in the city this year.

Copyright 2007 by NBC10.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Re: Homicide at 7th and Girard last night

This happened in East Poplar, NOT Northern Liberties. 7th St. is west of the border of NL (6th St)

oh ok good, then its ok....

but seriously, maybe related to the helicopter searching near 7th and Green at about 10:45 Sunday Night?

This is disgusting to me. Really.
How long before people who watch this message board decide to do a story about the greater concern shown for boundries than for human life? And what a shame to for the mostly decent and caring residents of this neighborhood.
At some point a bullet is going to cross the precious boundry and strike someone other than a patron at one of the 6th street clubs. Maybe there should be more concern about the rise in gun violence related to bars and clubs and the threat it poses to the community.

Email  

Let's just say there are at least a few people "on it", Heather. Incorrect's correction and followup, may well have been a bad joke. For those who 'seriously' have those discussions, I think there's also a defense or coping mechanism. It didn't happen in your neighborhood if you can grid it out. That may be a bit generous though.

Hate to say it but I heard about ten shot last night from that direction. Not even shots but spaced in groups of three and four. Till now I never gave it a second thought. Funny how you get used to things.

Heather. I'm not sure if this one has anything to do with bars or not. I drove by on the way home last night and saw family & friends holding candles at the site of the murder. It's about halfway down 7th St between Poplar and Girard.

This is very close to home, very scary, and very sad.

Email  

This took place 60 feet from Northern Liberties so it doesn't matter. Please don't post anything unless it's within 10 feet of the Standard Tap.

I love how we can review Taco Riendo and the gay bar at 7th and Thompson and Tifin, but someone gets shot and 7th street is all of the sudden a suburb of Pittsburgh.

Email  

There are cameras at 7th and Girard. Lets hope they were working and maybe provide some clue.

I think the reason people are so quick to distinguish the boundaries is because outsiders get the impression that thugs are descending on Northern Liberties and attacking yuppies. Most of the time it's thugs shooting other thugs.

That being said, a stray bullet doesn't care who you are.

Real issue is the Media hyping "Murder In NL"....it gets the viewers to turn in, phillys hip hood is full of killing, I can hear the local News jackels drooling. They do this all the time. So when we ***** about the boundary we are holding the TV news to a higher standard....the TRUTH, even if it is a minor fib.
Truth is it did not happen in NL but close enough to worry. still I can understand a home owner, with most of their wealth tied up in a home being worried and being a bit anal about the boundries.

As someone who lives a block away, this certainly hits close to home. It sounds like the shooter got away, and the way things seem to go, I wouldn't have a lot of faith in him being caught.

That said, aside from the boundary nitpicks being old and tired at this point, I'd agree that it's not unreasonable to expect the Inquirer to be correct.

In pretty much every thread mentioning Taco Riendo or the gay bar or Tiffin or Liberties West as being in NL, someone inevitably points out that they are outside of the neighborhood boundaries. These posts don't happen exclusively in crime threads; it just seems more tasteless in those cases. It's the internet... people like to nitpick incorrect statements.

I certainly don't feel better about this happening a few hundred feet from my house, whether that few hundred feet is in the direction that puts it out of the neighborhood boundaries or in the direction that puts it inside the neighborhood boundaries.

Email  

The murder rate in Philadelphia isn't just hype, Music Critic. Are you saying Philly having one of if not the highest per capita murder rate in the U.S. doesn't matter? Or it doesn't matter because you live in Northern Liberties. Uncool, man.

I actually watch the news and half the anchors I see look like they're tired of reporting murders at the top of the news to the point where they may slit their wrists.

The murder rate doesn't matter b/c the vast majority of both vicitms and perps. are scumbags who are currently involved in the criminal underworld. Once shooters start randomly opening fire on innocent bystanders (read: job holding, law abiding, tax paying citizens), then it becomes a major societal issue. Until then, the only way to effectively stem the tide of these murders, is to pour billions of dollars into fighitng the illegal drug trade. And as we all know, this is a war that society never wins.

Learn to read, Douche. Critic was saying (as I read it) that the media loves to hype that a murder happened in NL vs saying 7th and Girard.

The bottom line is that thugs from Kensington aren't exactly descending into 2nd Street and shooting innocent people at the Tap. As with the majority of homicides in this city, it's drug dealers killing other drug dealers -- no one is terrorizing (except the Liberties Walk jihadists) the neighborhood and shooting up our residents.

However, as someone who eats at Pura Vida, I wouldn't want to be anywhere NEAR a drug dealer shootout. I bike past 7th and Girard every single day.

I think Music Critic is saying the media is trying to unfairly create the impression that Northern Liberties is more dangerous then other "nice" parts of the city in order to sell newspapers.

In reality, it's just drug dealers shooting other drug dealers. Kensington hasn't suddenly decided to invade 2nd Street and start shooting people who abide by the law. Even though it's only a few blocks away, there is very little chance it will affect you unless you're part of the crime underworld.

It sucks, it could potentially lead to a stray bullet killing someone... but chances are you're safe.

That, and football is ruining the hood.

I'm not trying to drag out this subject, but the "drug dealers" (or who ever else you may identify these murderers as) are closer than they may seem. Just because you may not see a stereotypical dealer walking down the street with his gun on his hip doesn't mean its not happening here. This brings me to a previous post...many of those 350 killed this year along have been innocent bystanders. Would we begin to care if a drug deal gone wrong was on 3rd and Poplar and as a result customers leaving Tap/Foodry/Rustica/etc were killed?

I know much of this has already been said but it still amazes me that so many are concerned with the details of the boundaries and not the fact that this was 1 to 4 blocks away from us. Shouldn't the worry be that some parent/spouse/child/friend was killed as well as what can we do to prevent this from happening again?

How long until the Liberties Walk jihadists start cappin people? It may not be tomorrow or next month but if these lil hood rats' behavior goes unchecked it is a distinct possibility.

350 murders is horrifying, no matter how you spin it. And that's just the people who die -- I don't know what the count is for surviving gunshot victims, but I suspect it would eclipse the 350 number. (Anybody know a stat on that?)

With that many bullets flying around, we can only take comfort that odds are that no one is gunning for us personally, but it's hard not to realize that the odds of being at the wrong place at the wrong time is fairly high when things are happening that close to your doorstep.

Email  

When is the last time a resident of Northern Liberties was shot while not committing a crime? I believe it was a few years ago when a young man was shot because of a mistaken identity.

This is a problem, but don't blow it out of proportion, either...

As for the Liberties Walk kids, I completely agree. Indeed, I would be surprised if they didn't take it to the next level at some point.

Jesus.

Thank god all those people getting shot up are just criminals! Not like they're human beings with siblings and loved ones or anything! Hell, let 'em all die! We'll be better off because we can breath a sigh of relief, turn up our ipods, and go get a beer at the Tap with worrying that Kensington'll get us.

It's a bigger problem than the possibility of stray bullets. Yah, it's getting closer and that's really scary. But let's be scared for the whole city, because even if it's not you or someone you love, a person dies when a "criminal scumbag" gets shot.

And that still sucks.

Disagree, Random.

Criminal scumbags deserve to be shot.

They may have kids, siblings, parents... but THEY are the one's who chose their life of crime.

You make your bed you lay in it.

Email  

"He was robbed, Tell your son to be careful."

These words of advice came from a man who later introduced himself as the stepfather of the boy who was shot in the spot where we stood. He stood with his pastor, I with my 2 year old daughter.

The Sopranos were on the night before. Echoing in the street the city sounds bounced off the street. "Gunshots?" I said to my husband as we sat on the brown leather sofa. "Fireworks." He mumbled. Numb by the noise of the hood, we didn't move, continued to watch our Sunday show. Moments later the red lights reflecting in the window and onto the brown leather sofa. The lights were coming from down the street, as I opened the door I was sick. The lights were coming from the alleyway from where my son walks every night, from where my 15 year old would be walking tonight.

"Call his cell phone", I barked at my husband as I started to walk then run down to the end of the street. A man on a bike rode up from the crime scene. "What happened?" My voice shaky, tears swelling my vision of the man on the bike. "a kid is laying there with blood coming out of nose", he replied like he had just seen a normal occurrence.

As I approached my eyes filled, my stomach churning, my nonbelieving core praying, I saw a hand, a brown skinned hand. The weight had been lifted for a split second. Then the reality set in, a boy had been shot, he was laying in my street, dying. Being a nurse, my usual response would be to run over and see if there was anything to be done. I am ashamed to say I was so weakened by the very thought of my boy laying there on that street that I couldn't do much more than stare. Stare like a stereotypical passerby.

The next morning I went out to see what the murder scene had left behind. BLood spattered the pavement, a teddy bear shrine had begun, blood soaked gauze was all that remained of the boy.
As I tried to image how this stepfather could stand at this scene, I assumed he was in shock to be so composed. I told him of the events to offer some type of solace, he in turn looked me straight in the eye and said, "he was robbed, tell your son to be careful".

MikeyG, it'd be pretty to think that all the criminals shooting each other are in some sort of arena where the only people at risk of getting killed or maimed are criminals. I'm curious if you've been over the obits of every shooting victim and what percentage of them were de facto criminals. You're sticking your head in the sand. Sad.

My post makes sense when taken in the context of the one prior to mine. Just sharing my two cents - you don't have to agree with it.

Hooray for the 1st amendment!

Email  

It's disturbing that this happens so close to home, but is there much to do besides make phone calls, write letters, and complain on the message board? I've called 911 when necessary and written policy makers. Any type of more direct involvement in preventing gang/drug-related violence is not going to happen. The work that Guardian Angels and other groups do is great, but we can't watch the whole neighborhood.

MikeyG, the point of the person before you is that it's easy for those ensconced in NL to discount the murders because they're criminal scumbags outside our boundaries. They're not. You took the bait. The poster before you was being sardonic. You were not. You're free to say it, and you're free to reflect a very sad neighborhood outlook.

and by the tone and number of posts sort of echoing the same sentiment as mine - it seems the outlook is the same with A LOT of people in NL. Let's be realistic here douche.

Email  

What is it about your "reflecting a sad neighborhood outlook" that you don't understand.

No, what I was saying is it's really sad that anyone can be okay with a person dying because they "choose a life of crime."

You just don't know. A person is a person, and it's sad for anyone to die in the streets that way.

Thank you everyone explained to Douche bag my intent.
I must ad that the news folks are actors and I suspect they are human too so I really wonder how much of this disgust is realy or just put on for "show". Hard to tell. Yet I am sure they would never give up a scoop or a heartfelt interview, It a biz and Hype sells entertainment. a biker got nailed in hit and run by some trash punks at girard and front ,might be useful a news report make sure these kids busted but can't hype that and make fear increase. just not enough blood

There will be an anti crime street outreach this evening at 7th and poplar for the victim of this homocide. approx 8pm.

Email  

Hey, trying to stem murders is all well and good, but, and call me heartless in you like, I'd rather see 10s of millions of bucks a year spent on things like education, proactive sex education and city advancement than avenging the four of five truly innocent victims. It's called making choices, and I'd prefer to see my exorbanant tax dollars spent on preventing kids from growing up into thugs in the first place, than apprehending some life-long criminal for shooting his neighboring heroin pusher.

And to however wrote that these dirtbags have friends nad family who love them and miss them. First of all, I highly doubt that. They might have friends and family that are scared to death of them. But, even if you are correct, their friends and family should do them a favor and call the cops, and get the perp. arrested before he get shot.

Da Douche! wrote:

The murder rate in Philadelphia isn't just hype, Music Critic. Are you saying Philly having one of if not the highest per capita murder rate in the U.S. doesn't matter? Or it doesn't matter because you live in Northern Liberties. Uncool, man.

I actually watch the news and half the anchors I see look like they're tired of reporting murders at the top of the news to the point where they may slit their wrists.

end of Da Douche! quote.

Dude, it isn't even in the top 20 of murder capita. Its not even the top in PA. Maybe you should reread your second paragraph b/c the media is OVERhyping this themselves.

Oh, Bernie, I'm sorry, maybe we don't have the highest per capita murder rate, last year we just had the highest violent crime rate according to FBI stats and this year we're likely going to outpace that. Clearly I am entirely in the wrong. I apologize profusely and would bow before you. I just can't get myself lower than the depth you have stuck your head in the sand.

I don't know why people are putting false comfort in saying to themselves, "It's just the criminals offing criminals." Yes, these shootings happen as a result of drug traffic, they also are the results of robberies gone bad, and people being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Claiming otherwise, it's just ugly. I'm sort of curious whether it's racism or tv that makes you all think the bulk of deaths being dealt out by guns in this town are gun related.

People in this neighborhood, man. Can't fault them for learning a thing or too about picking a good real estate investment, and you can even let those paying exorbitant rent for a lil' dwindling faux boho vibe, but somewhere along the lines that savvy made not all of you, but a lot of you, lousy human beings.

DD> Not the most humble retraction I've ever seen.

While I also find the "let them all kill each other" sentiment somewhere between distasteful and ignorant with a little racism thrown in, somehow or another you've got to find a way to reach a comfort level if you're going to live in Philadelphia even if that means some ugly rationalizations for a lot of people. If you were convinced you were pretty likely to catch a stray bullet whenever you left your house, you'd move (or never leave the house).

It may be rose-tinted glasses or putting your head in the sand, but somehow or another you've got to go about your daily life without being paranoid about leaving your house.

Email  

I wonder what the victim's family would say if they read this thread?
So far there is very little information regarding the murder. It would appear the only people who know what happened right now are the killer and the victim.
Usually if there is "more" to the story ie. the victim was involved in something that may have contributed to his or her murder, that info will get passed along.
What you have hear is a young mad dead, his distraught family making funeral arrangements, and no real answers as to why this happened.
This could have happened to anybody. And this happened in your neighborhood.

Email  

"somehow or another you've got to find a way to reach a comfort level if you're going to live in Philadelphia even if that means some ugly rationalizations..."

The alternative to bull****ting ourselves here might actually be to give a ****.

There was one neighbor in my old north philly neighborhood, Miss Brown, who lost her nephew to violent crime. She was the one who called the cops when my boyfriend's car was broken into. Really, really sweet lady. Cried when she told me about her dead nephew.

So tell me again about how these kids...I'm sorry, criminals...don't have anyone who cares if they live or die?

Nothing's gonna get better with this "well, chances are I PROBABLY won't get shot" attitude.

I don't get the apathy. I really don't.

Although this IS a serious topic, there's more melodrama in this thread than all of Fox's reality shows combined.

Email  

Random>
My brother in law (not a drug dealer) got held up at gunpoint by several guys on 7th St a few months ago -- not entirely abstract for me. College educated guy walking back to his car with another guy too late at night. Probably a little unaware about where it was safe to park is car, but hindsight is like that.
Thankfully he wasn't shot, but I'm sure it wouldn't have taken more than a little worse luck for it to have turned out different. I don't expect he would have gotten any more media attention or kind words here than this guy from Sunday night would have if things had ended badly.

So, I'd say I give a ****. Seems hard to live here and not. That doesn't mean we all have to act the same way about it. I don't worry about getting shot when I walk up to Tiffin to pick up Indian food. Maybe I should, but that's no way to live your life... constantly paranoid about taking a stray bullet when you leave your house.

Email  

7th & Girard is NL you dumb fu cks

arent there cameras at 7th & Girard?

Kent, I think somewhere between full on tinfoil hats and body armor paranoia and the "ugly rationalizations" that the people being killed had it coming, there's gotta be a middle ground. Call it "giving a ****". You got that; and I wasn't including you in the lumpen northerlibertariat I was calling out. Unfortuantely it seems a lot of these violence threads devolve into a "who gives ****" perspective.

Da Douche,
Most people being murdered DO have it coming. Or, at the very least, are putting themselves at extreme risk of being victims. The vast number of people killed in Philly are young males with rap sheets who were involved in sketchy/illegal activities with sketchy people -- the kind of people who kill other people. Disclaimer: I agree that it is is TERRIBLE and tragic when a truly innocent person becomes a victim. However, this happens VERY rarely in Philadelphia homocides.

If someone decides he is going to sleep with prostitutes every week,I'm not going to feel awful for him when he contracts AIDS.

Cc, Although you have a good point, especially in regards to putting tax dollars towards education- do you really think it is going to help all that much when kids are still coming home and living in a dangerous, crime filled neighborhood/ enviornment? Everyone learns how to survive in the enviornment they are placed in and although carrying a gun or becoming a criminal is a choice that a peson makes and then has to live with, people in this situation are hardly making the same decision that you or I might be in choosing that life. I have never grown up feeling like someone not only might, but was likely to threaten me or mug me on my way home from school. I have never seen so many of my neighbors and friends die as a result of violence that I felt the need to take matters into my own hands by carrying a weapon. I have never felt as though if I called the police regarding an emergency that they weren't going to care. I have never come home to a situation where my parents were so concerned with putting food on the table that they didn't have time to be supportive or were otherwise incapable of being roll models. You are over simplifying. You don't know what caused a person to make the decisions they made and therefore your ability to judge is limited. Education is only part of the solution. Until these neighborhoods are made safer and more livable crime is going to be a problem. There is little reason in saying that criminals deserve whatever they get and that we should focus less attention on taking the people who kill them off the streets because of that.

ATTENTION: death number 350 had a name!!!

Rhashe Allen was only 22 years old, worked with mentally challenged individuals--payed his taxes, belonged to a church that he attended regularly,and was a college student. Did not do drugs, was not a drug dealer. He was a young person going out to dance and have a good time, not get attacked and then shot to death for defending himself. I knew him and he was a wonderful HUMAN BEING!

I live in Northern Liberties where my friend's car has been stolen, several friends cars have been broken into....so please do not have false security about this area.

Email  

that is so horrible. poor kid..i hope his family is ok.
do you think they will catch the dude(s)?
i've seen alot of activity around 5th + spring garden and 6th and fairmount...like helicopters, cop cars.
or maybe theyre too busy with the daily cop (attempted) killings

Thankyou for posting Mr. Allen's information.
I tried point out that this was in fact an absolutely senseless killing with no answeres--but there seem to be so many peope who come to this board who just don't care about human life.
Of course there are those who show concern for the victims.
From the precious little information gathered he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. It could have been anyone from the neighborhood standing in his spot. A bright young man with a good heart and a future--stolen away.
All of the boundry debates and lack of concern for victims of violence has really discouraged me in regards to this community. Every time there is a thread about violence the same responses come up but not by the same people. If it was the same people saying the same crap then I wouldn't be so concerned.
Now when there is trouble directly affecting someone in the community--ie. car break ins or difficulty with teen age kids--the response is different.
"Where are the cops? The cops don't do enough to protect us"
Maybe I was looking at things thru rose colored glasses and just couldn't see the reality of things. I'm looking thru blood stained lenses now people.
Liberty City--with the exception of being nasty about the injured cop---you've been right all along. I'm sorry I downed you so much. You and Da Douche aks all of his other alias's have been right all along.

Email  

Rasheed Allen was a student of mine at the Community College of Philadelphia. He was a beautiful human being with a bright future. I knew him to be a man of God, responsible and thoughtful to all around him. The sadness of our loss is profound. Please keep Rasheed's family in your thoughts and prayers.

Email  

It's funny how socitey jumps to conculsions...I am the friend of Rhashe's girlfriend and the girlfriend to his best friend. He was a wonderful young man. He loved the Lord and was very humble. Someone wanted to steal something that he had and he was killed trying to fight for it. He didn't deserve it. This wasn't drug or gang related at all!!! Rhashe loved to have fun so yes he was going to Samba's to have a good time but never made it in. It sucks that people are concerned with exactly where Northern Liberties begans because this could happen to anyone. The point is a piece of my life, and anyone who knew Rhashe was taken away over nothing. I just went to his graduation, I never thought I would be attending his funeral a few months later. Society needs to get it together because it could be you next!

« | | 1 | 2 | | »
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Free Guestbooks   Free Web Hosting   Cheap Domains