It is our hope that this can become a place to discuss the comings and goings of our neighborhood; a forum to dialogue about the events and affairs that shape our common future and a platform for us to reaffirm our love for this community. Please note that this is an almost completely unmoderated message board. Read & post accordingly. Before creating a new thread we suggest that you first search this forum using the space below, and to the right. Please don't feed the trolls. Now supporting BBCode.
Forum: NorthernLiberties.org - A Community Bulletin Board - Northern Liberties, Philadelphia </title> <meta name="verify-v1" content="HeF2q/cFsxZZYpzecat4Zh6FizsWSfGuDAzUFteHHnM=" />
This forum is locked and posting is not allowed
Author
Comment
Cantina

So Cantina opened and WOW! Even though it was thier first night and you can tell they were trying to work out the quarks it was amazing! Excellent service, great food and fabulous El Dorado Margarita's. What a great addition to the neighborhood. Best of luck and congratulations on the second location. It was nice to see everyone again!!!

Re: Cantina

Good to hear. I didn't have the pleasure of going there last nite but I am definitely glad to hear it was a good experience

Comparison to the original cantina? Clones? Noticeable differences?

First of all, let me mention I'm surprised this thread hasn't received more replies. The opening of Cantina has been a pretty popular topic and now that it has openend I thought there would be more action on the boards.
On that note, it was great to see familiar faces (both working there and eating/drinking there) yesterday at Cantina! I was there for about three hours and was quite impressed. Considering it was opening day, things seemed to go pretty smooth. Love the tequila selection. Love the margarita's.
I am sure as time progresses, the kinks associated with opening a new biz will be worked out. I am also hopeful that management will really listen to what the customers are saying.
Again, it was really cool seeing Janina, Shane, Bern... everyone who made the former location so great. See y'all there!

Cantina is fantastic. Good is great, the staff rocks, excellent beers on draft and in bottles... I have nothing but good stuff to say about Cantina.

I stopped by today for a quick beer. The place is definitely nice. It's good to see that they retained some of the awesome staff. I didn't eat, but the food looked interesting (and I really don't prefer Mexican). I'll surely check out the food at some point. If you like tequilla, something I vehemently eschew, they have a very big selection.

On the jukebox tip, they have a jukebox, the old school type not the internet type. There were only about 5 CDs in it so far. They are still setting it up; however, the CDs that they had were all classic rock. The worst part was that they were ALL greatest hits albums. Of course, it's unfair to judge anything yet, but I hope they have more meaty selections. I prefer to hear some interesting cuts between the hit parade. And by the way, yes, they had Johnny Cash already. Now just add Patsy and Iggy because that seems to be the jukebox law around Philly.

Food was mediocre at best. Pretty bland, and with all the great authentic mexican in this city- It should be better than mediocre.

please looks ok, kinda dark for my taste, food was good. thats about it

Poked my head in yesterday. Looks like a good place for some daytime drinking. I'll test the food later this week, but I can't see it being appreciably better than Taco Riendo or El Ranchito and I'm already locked into Jose's for my burritos.

i was there on friday, and although both of our courses took forever to arrive, all-in-all, it was a great opening night effort. none of the food knocked me off my feet, but i am going to give it another try in a few weeks.

my girlfriend and I went there last night. the service was good and the place has been refurbished nicely. however, the food was mediocre as every item was flavored in either a minty (?!?) or a sweet manner. the salsa was much closer to marinara sauce than any salsa I have ever had.

all in all, I will continue my weekly (sometimes twice weekly) visits to pura vida.

Had the bistec tacos and they were awesome. In fact I will probably go again tonight...yeah they were that good. I miss the hero's welcome everytime I rolled into Azure, but perhaps with my continued patronage I can get that at the Cantina. All in all we had a nice experience and we wish them the best.

Why does a new restaurant have to be "the best in the city"? Who cares if its the best (besides the hand full of people on this site who consider themselves food critics). They aren't trying to be a five star mexican joint. I thought the food was pretty good and no, if I want the best mexican ever I wont go there, but yes, if I'm in the mood for mexican and want to stay in the hood I will. Two small issues I had were 1. the lighting - went on saturday night and I felt like I was sitting in a power outage (fortunately we were sitting by the light switches so we slowly upped the lights) and 2. They need to put more stuff on the walls. It looks barren with out the art, etc that used to be there. I'm sure thats coming though. Otherwise, its a good addition to the neighborhood for some beers and a decent bite.

I agree with Rockhead salsa could have been served MOZZARELLA sticks..I went on Friday night it was very hot inside had a real mexican feel on a 90 degree day. The tacos were good & the Cadialiac Margaritas excellent.

Email  

I went on Friday, the food and service were both very good. I was very happy with the guacamole. I was happy to see some familiar faces. I'll be going back for sure.

BUT it was pretty hot in there, I was surprised they didn't turn the ceiling fans on. The restaurant was very loud, not because it was crowded, but because classic rock was blasting out the speakers. Way too loud. Again, I'll be back.

hmm.

will go for drinks, as i liked my margarita

however, in re: to mexican > dinner will be eaten at pura vida, las cazuelas, or tequilas

and in nyc, hell's kitchen

I celebrated my 30th birthday there on Monday night with some friends and had a great time. Our waitress was fantastic! I really enjoyed their margaritas, guacamole and the plantains. While I love all the other Mexican restaurants in the area, I think this is a great addition to the neighborhood.

the food is not something i'd want to come back for. cool atmosphere but too rich for my blood. to be honest, the whole time i was there i was thinking about how much better/cheaper it would be if we were at pura vida. *sigh* love that place.

Went in for dinner and drinks last night, great time. Food was pretty good, drinks were even better. I will make it a point to return here again

Poor wine list and nasty sangria- fruit looked like it was weeks old and it was just too sweet. I miss Brandon's sangria. I'll stick with the margaritas. My other issue is the heat in there, it's ungodly... think they took down all the ceiling fans from before.

there is some tough competition in NoLibs, we have standard tap and north third, Las Cazuelas, curbside chef is excellent and fresh, A restaurant needs to be better than average or it won't make it, especially with the economic situation, I have less money for eating out. I would like to see a Columbian restaurant, along the lines of Mixto. The mexican is overdone. We also need a better pizza joint, Rustica and 2nd street pizza no longer measures up,I amsorry to say. I don't eat at Rustica anymore, pizza is overdone and bland.

Email  

i think sazon is colombian. possibly venezuelan. it's on 8th? and Spring Garden, so it's not exactly northern liberties

You need a mortgage for a pizza at rustica! Way overpriced and not as good as it used to be.

I think Sazon is on 9th and Spring Garden next to Siam Lotus, but the food there is awesome. (Plus it's BYO and the owners are nice.) If it were a little closer, I'd go a lot more often.

Email  

Plusses and minuses about my dinner on their opening night:

Positives:
Fast & friendly staff
free chips & salsa
delicious goat
Great drinks

Negatives:
chorizo tasted REALLY clovey - unedible
salsa (the red) tasted like jarred pasta sauce
really hot inside(although it did cool down later)

I went last night and wasn't really that impressed. My food was very no frills assembly line and my margarita was served in a regular glass with half of the salt missing. For the price, I guess I expected something better.

They were packed, so I wish them well.

So, I went into the new Cantina the other night and I was all like, "This place is alright, but why isn't it absolutely the best restaurant in the city? I mean, it's almost been open a whole week now."

Regardless, I ordered the chicken quesadillas (I don't really like Mexican food, so I stick to the more American friendly stuff.) And I was like, "Why isn't this the best, most authentic Mexican dish I've ever eaten?"

Then I was looking at the jukebox and I was like, "This music sucks! I pride myself on liking the best, underground musical obscurities bandwidth can buy and they don't have any of it!"

Needless to say, I was very disappointed!

Will H...you sound don't sound like the sharpest tool in the shed...

ahahahaha to Will H.

Email  

Mexi, I think Will H cuts just fine....

well put Will H...

Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Free Blogs   Free Web Tools   Cheap Domains 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com

Please Don't Feed the Trolls   |   Message Board Home

NorthernLiberties.org