It is our hope that this can become a place to discuss the comings and goings of our neighborhood; a forum to dialogue about the events and affairs that shape our common future and a platform for us to reaffirm our love for this community. Please note that this is an almost completely unmoderated message board. Read & post accordingly. Before creating a new thread we suggest that you first search this forum using the space below, and to the right. Please don't feed the trolls. Now supporting BBCode.
Forum: NorthernLiberties.org - A Community Bulletin Board - Northern Liberties, Philadelphia </title> <meta name="verify-v1" content="HeF2q/cFsxZZYpzecat4Zh6FizsWSfGuDAzUFteHHnM=" />
This forum is locked and posting is not allowed
Author
Comment
Raising a ferry

Fox News - channel 29 - is going to be showing the raising of a ferry boat near Sugarhouse. Apparently it's been underwater for many years and Sugarhouse is paying to have it raised. It should be interesting - it will be on shortly.

Email  
Re: Raising a ferry

Which ferry?
I thought maybe it was the old Hooters ferry but apparently that was removed some time ago.
Here is an interesting article about it.
http://njscuba.net/reefs/site_nj13cm_elizabeth.html

it's down the alley between the Roxxy and the Sugarhouse. it is rather unsightly, but i like it. it is not the old Hooters one though.

I remember reading about this ferry a long time ago. It was from when there was a ferry service from camden to philadelphia pre PATCO days. Intended to be made into a restaurant, but because of cost was abandoned there. Surprised there is as much left of it as there is.

Quote: lawrence
it's down the alley between the Roxxy and the Sugarhouse. it is rather unsightly, but i like it. it is not the old Hooters one though.

I remember reading about this awhile ago. You can see the craft from Google Earth and I always wondered how anyone in those new condos couldnt complain about seeing this rusting POS from their balconies. Apparently, it was docked where it now sits and scuttled itself. The owner is in debt (if I remember correctly) and either in prison or indisposed of.
Interesting...

I found some more info and photos here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?p=4952655

I am a sucka for the old piers and stuff we have within our 'hood.

Anyone know the name of the Ferry?

said ferry from Google Maps:

View Larger Map

Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Online Photo Albums   Free Blogs   Email Forms   Free Web Tools