Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Settling In

Hi everyone

We rehomed Vicky last Saturday and all in all she's settling in well. We're are however having some problems getting her house trained.We've did everything that's been advised on the sites etc - out to the garden every hour, not making a fuss when she does in the house,cleaning up with biological washing powder to remove the smell, loads of praise when she does go in the garden.

Strangely when we go out for a walk she never goes, it's either the garden or unfortunately the house.

Wondered if anyone had any suggestions on what we could try to get her to go in the garden or when we're out walking?

Thanks

Bob

Re: Settling In

Hi Guys,
Bob's having quite a problem with this wee girl.
Any pearls of wisdom?
Celia and Jimmy.

A couple of ideas.

1 - get your vet to check her over and make sure it's a behaviour problem and not a medical one. You can't really start trying any remedial work until you know this.

2 - get her a crate and do some crate training with her. Dogs don't like to mess their sleeping area.

3 - even though you've been taking her outside every hour are you staying out with her until she has done something? Are you giving her a vocal command as soon as she starts?

I think perceverance is the key here! Bambi did really well initially but then slipped back a bit so think keeping at it is the key. She may just be finding all the changes a bit much as they can be such sensitive wee souls. I found that initially Bambi didnt really understand the praise I was giving her when she did her business outside - or indeed didnt seem to get the whole concept of praise but repetition seems to work with them and they (eventually) get it! I know it is said that dogs dont like to mess in their sleeping areas but I have found that if Bambi has an accident in the house the most likely place to find it is in her bed...not sure what that says about her!lol I know its tough getting through the early atages but stick with it Bob it will sink in with her soon enough! Good Luck! x

The good news is that, in my experience, once girls get the message, they are really fastidious.
My boy greyhound took ages to train, and still has the occasional accident, but nowadays it's largely due to his huge love of food (particularly the illicit scavenged variety) which is followed by a great thirst and the obvious consequences. He'll come and look at you to go out in the daytime but has never learned to cry or bark to go out in the night.
I've found the most likely time for accidents is on waking up after a sleep and immediately after food. Maybe if you tried taking her for a little walk immediately after either event, and then praising her when she performs, it might sink in. I also found that catching in the act with a firm 'NO' and straight to the garden seemed to help. Having other, house-trained, dogs in the house as an example can also help but patience is really the key and a week isn't very long, so keep up the good work and good luck.

Thanks to everyone for their replies. The problem usually occurs when we are out - on Saturday we left her for about 20 mins and by the time we got back she had messed in the room again.

Celia and Jimmy kindly loaned us a crate but we haven't found it to make any difference and have come home on more than one occasion to find her lying beside the mess she's made. We ignore the mess,take her outside and then clean up. We never tell her off or punish her.

We take her out after meals and before we go out and then again last thing at night before bed and sometimes she will be o.k.

We can't figure out why she will refuse to go when out for a walk. We had her out for quite some time on Saturday afternoon and again on Sunday and she still wouldn't go until back in the garden.

The main difficulty for us is having to leave her when we go to work. I'm back every lunchtime so she's never left for more than 4 hours maximum. She's then left for 2 hours until my wife gets home from work.

We took a couple of days holiday to help get her settled and started by leaving her for a few minutes by herself and tried to build it up as time went on. However we've never successfully been able to leave her for any period of time without an accident occurring.

Agree that at just over a week it's not that long but we're struggling to know what to do next.

Please keep the suggestions coming and thanks again to everyone for their help.

Bob

Bambi was a regular at weeing when I was out for a while until she got used to it. Think it is linked with seperation anxiety? (correct me if im wrong here!) She still occasionally has a wee accident (ha ha that was almost a joke eh?!) if I go out when she is not expecting it (although Im not sure even yet what constitutes her not expecting it to be honest!!lol)But she is a dog of GREAT routine!!But nothing major that causes any major issues for us! My way of looking at it is that I would rather have to clean up a (now very occasional)wee than try to put my sofa back together cos she has chewed it!! Thankfully chewing has never been something she has been interested in! I think that if you think about the changes that have happened in her life over the past few weeks it makes sense that she wil take a bit of time to feel secure and I am sure that once she does you will find this problem gets less and less - both with her going in the house and the not going outside!! You are doing all of the right things so it will happen!!x

Hi Everyone

Just a quick update on Vickie. She's settling in well and the 'accidents' are becoming less and less. Still the odd one but from where we were a few weeks ago it's night and day.

We've noticed in the last few days that more of her personality is coming through, she more playful and more interested in what's going on around the house.

We took her back to see Celia and Jimmy today and it was great to see her running in the paddock. Everyone at the kennels is so friendly and the facilities are fantastic.

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice, all very much appreciated.

All the best

Bob

HI BOB
I SEE YOU ARE HAVING PROBLEMS HOUSE
TRAINING I WOULD TRY A CRATE PUT HIM HER IN
THE CRATE FOR A FEW MINITES PUT SOME TREATS IN
THEY BUILD THE TIME UP IN THE CRATE.

TAKE HER OUT IN THE GARDEN EVERY TEN MINUTES
STAY WITH HIM IF HE DOES SOMETHING PRAISE HIM
BUILD THE TIME UP GOING OUT IN THE GARDEN

IF YOU HAVE ANOTHER DOG THEY PICK UP ON THEM

MY GREY COPIED MY YORKIE SO MY GREY TELLS ME
WHEN SHE WANTS TO WEE. BE PATIENT DONT SHOUT
AT HER HIM

we are still house training luggy (jake), tara was no problem but mr man is a different story. We are getting there now and its just the odd accident during the night - thankfully its on his puppy pads in the hall. It just takes time