Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A Good Doggie Solicitor Anyone?

Anyone know of a good 'doggie' solicitor? I have just received a solicitors letter asking me to pay £2,764.40 after Flash got into a fight with a cat in the local cornfield.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Sandra

Re: A Good Doggie Solicitor Anyone?

Oh my goodness. Did the cat die or is this for vets bills. Cats are not classed as property. Were you on the cats owners land. Sorry for the question but just need a little more back ground details before I pass on the name of a good solicitor who has fought and won many dog related casses.

Looking back at the original post detailing the incident, you mentioned that the Police popped round and clearly stated it was not a legal matter, so where does this cat owner get the idea that she can try and claim such a ridiculous amount of money from you, what kind of cat was it a rare breed?
Both animals were in a public place, if Flash had purposely went into this woman's garden and killed the cat, I'm sure the police would have insisted that Flash were put down...this was NOT the case, I'm sure if you speak to the police yourself and CAB you will find that this is a needless situation

I've had my tea now and still can't believe the gall of this woman, if it is that she is claiming for distress then what about your distress as you actually witnessed the unfortunate incident. If you were to fatally knock down a cat or a dog for that matter, the police are not interested, the unfortunate animal is just laid at the side of the road or taken to a local vet. I may be wrong but you don't hear of owners in this instance contact the vehicle driver to ask for recompense. But for the fact you showed a bit of care and discussed the situation with the cat owner is now coming back to bite you...keep digging in your heels, unfortunate for the cat (I do like them honestly) but to ask for that ridiculous sum of money is still baffling me to be honest

First point I would like to make is that I am no legal expert, and I recommend you get professional advice. Most car insurance, home insurance, union membership and some bank accounts offer a free legal helpline. If you don't have access to anything then try Citizens Advice - http://www.cas.org.uk

If you have pet insurance you may find that covers you for legal advice and third party claims, such as this claim made against you, in which case just send the correspondence on to them to handle.

I have to agree with Gary on this - if the Police were not interested I think the cat owner will have a hard time persuing this as a civil matter, but as you recognise yourself you need professional advice.

I hope this all resolves itself and does not spoil your enjoyment of your beautiful dogs.

Ooops second attempt at this reply as I lost the first one!

Thanks Gary and Silvia for your replies I really appreciate your comments. The solicitors letter states that the money is for the Vet fees.

As I stated earlier this incident happened in the corn field, the cat leaped up out of the corn right in front of Flash and gave him a fright which is why the fight started.

I have spoken to the CAB but they think that I am liable because as a dog owner they should have been on a lead.

I do wonder if it had been a fox that had come across the cat who the owners would be looking to sue then!

As I said early I really appreciate your help and if anyone knows of a good solictor who can help me sort this mess out then I would appreciate it.

Many thanks
Sandra

This cat must be bionic now with what they have spent at the vets, I'm not going to complete the sentence but it might have been better if the cat was...

Again I am no legal expert but I still think you will win this case (if it gets that far) as I still don't see the liability on your behalf, regards CAB saying Flash should have been leaded, assuming he was and the cat sprung up at him and he attacked back to the same degree what would their stance be then? What about the distress caused to yourself as a witness to the unfortunate incident

I'm a cat owner myself and I just don't see where this person is coming from. Cats cannot be controlled the same way dogs can and if you allow them out to wander as is their way then you really can't place the blame on anybody (except yourself for letting them out!!!!) for whatever happens to them - I should know as I have lost two to drivers and a third to heaven only knows what. I do agree that you should seek professional advice though, but I can't see any way this would be considered. Sounds like an opportunist

I would suggest calling on your vet, and asking them if they know of a good Solicitor - they will have someone whom they may well use themselves, that is experienced in that sort of thing.

Boyle Solicitor in Dundee are able to do this kind of thing - or so am told.

I am a cat owner myself, and should kitty get in trouble from a dog, with a vet fee costing that!! - I would think it would be kinder to end it... ...however much I treasure her, she is in danger at all times out and about and I am aware of that - but I would much rather she was free to roam than be house bound.

I suspect the owner has the cat insured - so will have legal fees included hence why this has come up and chasing you to recover cost.

Someone mentioned in previous post about Citizens Advice - they are great - but you will be expected to wait as it all voluntary and you cannot book and appointment, you just need to go down to your nearest branch and wait to be seen - so if you are working book a day off for this purpose.

They did me service some years ago with an injury I obtained via a night out at a disco (not a long story - it was those smoke machines - they breath out dry ice - and who happened to be dancing beside one of them - yip me - burnt my hand...not too bad..but then security guy helped my burns by spraying "dry ice" from a can to cool it..wayhee - it then became 10 x worst...ended up in A&E with severe burns - all okay now..and all sorted..thanks to Citizens Advice - who dictated a letter for me to send to the owner of disco.

Cost me nothing in the end...and they moved the steam/smoke machines away from the dance floor so that no-one else would get hurt and I received a wee compensation too...

I once had a cat who got his tail bitten by a dog (very large chunk). .because he visited the neigbour - ouch! but he survived to tell the tail (pardon the pun) and never ventured there again...

Reading from your point, there is no case (though am no expert) however they are some solicitors acting on behalf of folk who will go out for everything - so make sure you get someone by your side to support you..if it goes further you will need it.

Keep all paperwork you have - and write down now - your memory of events...it may come in useful later.

Keep strong and try not to worry to much about it. Easy said than done, I know...

Hi Sylvia, I am still looking for a solicitor, you mentioned that you might know someone. Could you please get back to me if you think they can help.

Many thanks
Sandra

PS Thanks to everyone for their support, advice and comments, hopefully this will get sorted soon but I will keep you updated on the outcome as it could be relevent to most of us.

Sandra,
I think what happened is a tragic accident but it is the outcome that you have to deal with - the cat was severely injured and Flash was not. You are looking at damage limitation - not just to your pocket but also to the reputation of Flash and all greyhounds in the area.
How is the cat now? Have you spoken to the owner about it? Sometimes solicitors can make a bad situation worse. Try to put yourself in the cat owner's shoes - they may not be dealing with it too well, but would you? They are the injured party and may just be looking for a gesture of appeasement from you.
If the cat owner was to look through the series of posts, it wouldn't help your case at all. I would urge everyone to remember that this is the GRF OPEN forum and what is said reflects on Celia, Jimmy and all the greyhounds still looking for homes.

Hi Marion

I am very suprised and a little shocked by your reply. I have never said anything derogatory about the cat. I can assure you, and anyone who knows me will confirm that of course I feel for the owners of the cat, it is their pet as Flash is mine. The whole incident was very traumatic for all involved. I have tried on a couple of occations to speak with the cat owner however they refuse and are obviously very upset which of course I understand. I live in a very small village and I see the owner on a regular basis but he glares and refuses to speak to me so I really do not know what else I can do. I would also like to add that even on the evening of the incident he was knocking on doors telling everyone about my 'killer' dog and has continued to do so since the incident. I have chosen not to argue with him as I appreciate that he is upset so please do not think for one minute that I am being insensitive here.

I appreciate that this is an open forum but I do not see how my request for advice on a good solicitor is damaging Celia or Jimmy's reputation or that of the Greys as a hole. If I have then I will be the first to appologise if my messages have upset anyone as it certainly was not my intention.

I will not be posting on this thread again and if I can find out how to I will try and delete it

Regards
Sandra

From what I read, the advice is from the hearts and minds of the people posting, I don't see anyone speaking on behalf of GRF.

I also find Marion's post to be very curt.

Sandra, I can imagine how you are feeling..Accidents are what they are, being in the wrong place at the wrong time. We have a dog walker, walking our then, 4 dogs. We told him to walk the 2 house dogs [both from Celia] seperately from the 2 racing dogs who were strong, bouncing and fit, one of whom had a real killer attitude. However, yes you guessed it... He took them altogether! He was standing talking to an old woman at her house, and out shot her cat..........the dogs were on it like lightening. The house dogs were not muzzled, and one of them bit the womans son on the leg as he attempted to help pull the dogs off the cat. They were all on a lead. My partner, who has the racing dogs offered to pay for half the vets fees of £450.. The dog walker paid. The cat survived. He still walks the dogs, as he learned a hard lesson he will never forget. My partner and i were mortified and ashamed even though we were not even there. Both the dog walker, and i had to give a statement to the police, and he received a warning, more so for the human being bitten i expect? Cats eh? I don't know what to say, except i do remember being told when i got my 2 greys from Celia and Jimmy, never to let the dogs off the lead, but if i did, to make sure the area was secure and enclosed, and always put a muzzle on them. I wish they could have the freedom that other dogs get, but its just not worth it, as little furry things seem to pop up round every corner. I do hope things work out for both you and the cat owner.

Sandra, I do apologise, you have obviously done everything possible to build bridges with the cat owner to no avail. I did not mean to offend you.
Marion

Hi Guys,
From GRF - we are very sorry that Sandra has ended up in this unfortunate position and we wish her good luck. We also look on all the posts as being from the peoples hearts and well meant, but, on the same coin Charlie Boy?? we view Marion's post in exactly the same light, since she is worried about bad press for greyhounds. Indeed they get enough bad press.
When legislation is involved GRF prefer to stand back until required to comment.
Jimmy.