Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What is the most expensive thing your grey has eaten/chewed?

On the back of my "hes eaten his collar" post I thought it might be fun to post a hit list of the things our lovable greys have decided to chew...

Here goes for starters....

Teddy bears or any soft toy, both brogan and annie chew off the extremities and then proceed to pluck out the innards... it looks like a soft toy horror movie sometimes in my hallway! Bedroom doors have to remain firmly shut or they steal the favourites off the bed. Several emergency rescue operations have had to be performed to restore teddies back to health...touch and go for some of them I may add. One still doesn't have a nose!

Slippers .... I've lost two pairs so far.

The most expensive item got at by my greys so far is a sheepskin numnah I have for my horse. Brogan has sucessfully managed to pluck it bald...£60 of horse wear wrecked but it kept the dog amused! Makes mental note to remind kids to always check the bedroom doors are shut!

Sheepskin rug ... brogan likes to pluck this and it now has several bald patches.

Their beds ... Duvets inside covers.. he chews the corner off the cover and then plucks the duvet... it looked like it had been snowing in my hallway tonight... he'd gutted the duvet! I cant decide if it would be best to buy them a proper dog bed but I think he would destroy that too so why waste all that money??

Not to mention all of the proper 'dog' toys wev'e bought them, especially the rope ones. My mum was clearing poo in the garden and was convince the dog had blue and white worms it wasn't it was bits of rope!

The kitchen bin had been done away with ... 3 weeks of raiding when I first got them and I now use a carrier bag hung somewhere they can't reach...

Oh and the full Sunday roast beef roast ... blame Annie for that one!

In spite of it all they are both loved and spoiled to death in our house, it just wouldn't be the same without them... teddy carnage and all.

Had my son asking if we could get a third.....!

Re: What is the most expensive thing your grey has eaten/chewed?

Sadly Wee man is no longer with me BUT that hound had a fettish for (Tins of Roses chocolates)it didnt matter how high they were up out of his reach, he would have them...NOW dont get hot under the collar...all he did was somehow open the tin and SUCK all the chocolates with wrappers still on them...IT was just as well he hadnt any teeth...emmmmmm NO it wasnt the roses that had caused his tooth decay either lol personally I like to think he was helping ME look after my figure lol Oh and those roses would be hidden BUT he always found them...Thats the only thing that he ever tried to chew..Thank goodness

Kell and Lucy managed to wreck a pair of Nintendo Wii controllers. Kell tried to eat my digital camera, but we spotted him taking it off the table and no real harm was done - just a tooth mark on the case.

Our Lofty destroyed a Nintendo DS, complete with game and battery; no harm done to the boy though!

Don't know about the most expensive thing, but a few of the things my darling grey has destroyed are a dining table and chairs, a double bed and mattress, a futon, the hall carpet (it was horrible so she did us a favour there!) most of the door and window frames the mantlepiece, a car seatbelt and quite a few of her own beds! She has really bad separation anxiety, so I can't blame her for destroying things - we've now learnt to cover all the furniture with sheets on the rare occasion that she is left now.

Our guys worst habit is digging themselves a nest in the bed. I've lost count of the number of duvet covers we have had ripped.

Bambi isnt really a chewer (yeh Im touching wood as I say that!!lol) but she did take a collar to bits and 2 of my cushions off the sofa (they were ok when the covers were on them but when I took them off she tore them to bits??I dont get it but Im sure it made sense to her?!!lol) And just today she was away to rip my "Hen Party" sash to bits which she stole from my case...u dont think she was annoyed I went and left her do u....??!!lol Either that or she wanted to wear it Im not sure...lol

Felt I had to add a comment regarding this.

When I first got Tara (now 8 years old) she managed to work her way thru a wooden bed frame (my mums),sky remote control, conservatory suite & chewed 2 bedside cabinets.

Jake (aka Luggy) has eaten a pair of shoes, 3 playstation controllers, a nintendo ds, a mobile phone and his bed - and to look at them you would think butter wouldn't melt

oh - forgot to add the stair bannister, a birthday cake (which my mum thought was out of reach) and half a cooked chicken (at least someone got fed)

still. gotta love them

Plus to make matters worse, we were in the house with them when it all took place!!

Actually reading all of these made me think of the trouble I had with my wee terrier who I had b4 Bambi she was good with the chewing for one so small...she got numerous shoes, the legs of the kitchen chairs, the wooden bits inbetween the panes of glass on a door, stipped the bottom of my wallpaper in the hall...and there was also the terrible xmas eve when I came in and found her sitting in amongst a whole packet of paracetamol tablets!!! Which has been on a very high table that there is no way on earth she could have reached (still no idea how she got them!) and I had to sit and count them all (that was in the days you could get big packets of paracetamol!) to make sure she hadnt swallowed any - which she hadnt, she simply popped every single one out of the packet!!lol x

Thought i would add to this one,

Yogi is really really good and doent do much wrong but has got a fetish for post and has had away with two stuffed toy elephants which now live on his bed and get the occasional lick & shake lol

How about stealing???

Brogan has manged to get a full pot of soup (Luckily it was cold by the time he got to it) off the cooker (I had left it at the back of the hob overnight to go cold)and then proceeded to drag the pot through the kitchen, the dining room and attempted to get it up the stairs. I got up to let him out during the night to be met with a half empty pot of red pepper soup sitting on the bottom step - thank god for laminate floor. The stair carpet never recovered though as it was cream in colour!

Annie has helped herself to a full roast beef - but we noticed before she managed to eat all of it. Think she regretted it the next day though as all that protein gave her a runny tummy

Even the kids are in the habit of putting things in the oven or the microwave to keep them out the road of the dogs if they have to be left on their own!

Ace hasnt really destroyed anything expensive. But we are continually losing our slippers, they end up out in the garden all wet and muddy. We also had to rescue any kind of cuddly toy the first night we had him, I have bought him doggy cuddly toys but in no time they are in pieces all over the house. Tea towels are a favourite item to pinch when we are not looking as well as gardening gloves.

Dont you just love em!!!

Kaz, Pat and Ace

Well as I have said Bambi not a chewer but she is a theif!!lol Not of food stuff tho I can leave anything lying in the kitchen (altho if its on the coffee table its fair game!) but some of the more unusual items I have reclaimed from her bed (totally unchewed) are as follows my watch, my camera, a photo frame,a tube of germoline,a new pair of jeans,numerous bras(what is that all about??lol) and a few ornaments including a large eastern statue!! All of these had been wrapped in her quilt and then poked into place using her nose!Also does anyone else have a hound with a fetish for stealing empty carrier bags???lol

Im laughing here,

My mum brought me back a lovely musical frog from Ibiza, its wooden with ribs on its back and you rub a stick up the ribs and it makes a croaking noise.... well it did...had it one day and annie decided it was for chewing!

In beds we've had more soft toys than I can imagine, Wii controllers, dustpans and brushes (chewed), toilet rolls shredded - its the only room I dont close the door over in, bathroom sponges in bits, Brogan was even caught trying to lift a 2lt bottle of car screen was upstairs (its ok it was unopened and sealed) but dont ask me what he was going to do with it, my little pallete of watercolours, that Ive had for years now in bits - they didnt like the lemon yellow as it was a soggy mess all over their bed tee hee! the other colours were untouched funnily enough!

Wouldn't change either of them for the world!

ok need to make another list here - cute, adorable oh so quiet Noah has worked his way thru (today while i was in) my new pair of boots, a pair of sandals and a couple rolls of toilet paper - oh and leave a newspaper anywhere near the little darling and in minutes you have confetti .

Thing is you just cant get them into trouble - its they faces - plus they look so happy when you catch them in the act as if to say look what ive done haha x