Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fur shedding

Hi Everyone

Hope you are all well.

Just a query about Ace. We got him from Celia and Jimmy at the end of July. He is now shedding a lot of fine fluffy fur. We have been brushing him with a stiff brush and got a lot out. I bought one of those yellow furminator combs and tried it on him today - my lawn was covered in the fluffy stuff. Is this normal?. He hasn't got any bald patches and has a good shine to his coat but am a bit concerned about the amount I got off him today. Is it just that he is now in a house with heating on?.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers all

Kaz and Pat (Oh and Ace )

Re: Fur shedding

You've hit the nail on the head. Sounds to me like he's just shedding his kennel coat & you have nothing to be concerned about. By the time all the kennel coat's gone his coat will be very smooth & sleek. Grooming is a great way of bonding with your grey when you adopt him. I use a rubber mitt/glove (no bristles)groomer for doing my 2 & they adore it. Bear in mind they do have thin fragile skin
happy grooming

Hi Karen and Pat,

I also bought a similar brush, and my garden was exactly the same!! The brush get alot of the undercoat out that normal brushes don't so no need to worry just be careful not to push to hard and repeatedly brush one area. If his coat is looking good then there is no damage done!

Fiona

My two were exactly the same. After trying lots of brushes I decided to try a rubber sponge brush. The link to the site is http://www.groomers-online.com/grooming-gloves-mitts-and-pads-c-141_321_222.html

It's the 'Rubber Sponge - Large' on the second row down, £2.95. It's gentle for the dogs and they love it, pushing each other out the way to be brushed. It's by far the best 'brush' I have had and perfect for greyhounds who have fine hair and sensitive skin.

hi
dont worry about your greyhound losing his fur for my is she a greyhound aswell we got my in august and i can brush her then my husband stroke her and he get covered from her hope this put your mind at rest
pattie and greyhond ladyzara

Hi. Thanks for the replies. Having used the furminator and removed a lot of the loose fluffy hair, he is really starting to shine so I think he is just losing his kennel hair. Guess it is due to now living in a house with central heating. He loves being groomed with the furminator, as soon as I pick it up he comes bounding over!! So he must enjoy it!! Its just me and the garden that get covered in the end result!!

Take care all

Karen, Pat and Ace