Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
greyhound boots

Does anyone have any experience of dog boots or greyhound corns? Our Dolly has developed a corn on one of the pads on her front paw. She has been to the vets, who want to operate on it. I have done a little research and most anicdotes report further problems with corns leading to toe amputation. I found an article advocating the use of duct tape on the corn (to exclude air from the tissue - so it dies) and dog boots to pad the foot. The corn is a consequence of greyhounds not having a thick fat layer in their pads. I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem and what they did about it.

Re: greyhound boots

Hi, we have recently fostered a dog who arrived with a couple of corns. He was having great difficulty walking on his rear left leg as a result.When he went to to get neutered he had one of the corns removed at the same time. He appears to be making a good recovery and is already walking on the offending paw. His paw gets dressed every few days and we have to put a waterproof cover over his bandage for walkies.
The vet did file down the other corn which is on another paw, this is not causing him any pain at the moment. The vet is expecting a full him to make a full recovery.

Thanks for the reply Dougie.Heard other stories of corns reappearing within a month of surgery - leading to more and more surgery!!! I would really like to hear from someone who has used dog boots to see if they make a difference.

When I got the beautiful Roxy she had a problem with corns. The vet cut one out and then she got an infected corn which was also cut out. Although there was no guarantee of the corns not returning I can say that 6 months later we have no problems at all and no sign of return. The vet gave me defunct drip bags [IV fluid bags] with the business end removed and eyelet holes cut in for a bandage tie. A good way to keep the paw dry and recycle drip bags. These were very effective and because of the sturdiness of the plastic lasted a good few days. Hope this helps with your worries. I was thinking of taking out shares with my vet [an excellant vet group might I say] as I never seemed to be away from them!! The handsome Rocky managed to pull out a claw the other night. Roxy woke me with her barking and I got up to a blood bath downstairs. Thank heavens for laminate flooring and leather sofas!! Taggart would have said "there's been a murder"!!