Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Our dog can't play

Hi everyone.
We rescued our retired racer in July. She is our first grey hound and has been absolutely brilliant. But she doesn't know how to play. She is only 4, so still quite young. She just doesn't seem to know what to do with balls, squeeky or pulling toys - despite many attempts to interest her in them. Is this just particular to my dog or is this common amongst retired racers? I worry that she is bored and under stimulated between walks. I'd be grateful for any advice.

Re: Our dog can't play

Fret not! Our Lofty took well over a year before he joined in the frolics with fluffy toys and tug of war

Bella never played with anything for a long time. Then she would only play with soft and fluff things and we have had her for about 3 years,we then got Niall in june and they now play tug of war together. try her with some soft toys. if shes not intrested dont worry.just leave them where she can reach them,one day she may just go and pick it up.

We've had Tommy 4 years (he was 4 when we got him)and in all that time has only picked up a toy a few times, and after he has "pounced" on it, just looks as thought to say "I can't see the point in this" Chloe who we got a few weeks after Tommy (she was 2) loves her toys, thought only plays with them for a few minutes at a time. So maybe it depends on how long they've lived in kennels, I don't know. But Tommy is very laid back and Chloe is the opposite so maybe it's personalities?

Hi Agnes,

Of all our greyhounds, and we had 11 in the house a few years back, only one, a black male called Ebony, has been interested in playing with toys. Don't worry, it's just the way greyhounds are, they don't see the point in tiring themselves out if the don't need to, much prefer to lie on the couch with their legs in the air, and I must say, I see their point.

John

HI AGNES

HAD MY GREY A FEW YEARS NOW AND NEVER PLAYED
WITH ANYTHING TRIED A FEW TIMES BUT NOT

REALLY INTERESTED JUST LIKED LYING ON THE
SETTEE DONT WORRY ABOUT

It took Vince and Freya about a month to start really playing (and even now, Freya would rather chase Vince when he's playing than actually play).

They tend to play in short frenzied bursts and play with much more enthusiasm if we get really excited as well. The chase seems to be the most important thing for them, which isn't surprising when you think about it, so half a dozen fluffies and balls being tossed around in a constant stream works well.

My Greyhound loves toys, but only when they're new! After a bit they're old news :) especially when they are broken! He does have a few old favourites one being a pair of fluffy monster feet slippers. I was 'never' able to wear (the only time he has played tug...tugging them off my feet!). He has a short attention span though and likes to play with them on his own, when you get involved he doesn't want to play anymore.

Sqeaky toys used to drive him bonkers although he's becoming immune to them as my friend recently got a puppy and she constantly sqeaks her toys :)

Hi favourite game though will always remain chase! :) hence his love of collies 'cause they're always up for a good run!