Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Food for greyhounds

Hi folks, looking for some advice please? My two hounds have been eating Wafcol for years. All of a sudden they stopped eating it and refusing point blank to return to it. I have tried them on several supermarket brands and they are happily eating Asda Hero at the moment. I'm a bit concerned as the reviews on internet are awful re quality. I wondered if you could tell me what your dogs eat. Thanks

Re: Food for greyhounds

Our greys have always liked the Gilbertson & Page range of foods like;- Gilpa Valu-Mix and Dr.John Silver medal, (the gold medal is too high protein for retired greys) Also Wagg is a good one. You can get them from pet stores like Pets at Home. Hope this helps.

John

Ours are eating Wagg too. It's one of the few foods we could find with the right protein level, and as a bonus it's very cost effective - 15kg for a tenner from ASDA. We use it dry mixed with a tin of Pedigree Chum in Gravy. Delicious!

Because Ace has a tendency to "let off" quite a bit, and he was producing loose stools, we feed him on Burgess sensitive which you can get from Pets at Home but we buy it on the internet, its a little bit cheaper. Ace has this mixed with whatever tinned meat is on special offer, normally butchers, pedigree chum or winalot and he is fine on this.
Karen

Hi Ailsa,
When we got Billy over a year and a half ago, he to was on Wafcol. After getting Lassie both were on Wafcol but the price of the Wafcol was increasing form £14 to £18.50 per 15KG, We have tried various complete foods. Trying to find a suitable food for Billy and Lassie balancing it on price.( Having to watch the pennies)
Having read reviews on the forum about Dr. Johns Silver Medal £8.50 per 15KG bag. We tried our two on it, Billy was fine but lassie had constant soft poo which was like a puddle terrible to lift.
We are at present using Greyhound Country Valu (without the E) £9.99 per 15KG bag and our two are doing great on it at the moment. With some wet food added to give them the meat and flavour.
At the kennels the homeless hounds are being fed Gusto Mature Light comes in 10KG bags and Celia and Jimmy like the food.
All these foods have similar make up with protein content around 18% or 19% which seems best for the hounds.
We have also tried some supermarket foods but most have a tendency to have higher protein levels.
We have gone for the more known makes on the recommendation of our vet following Lassie's ongoing nail problem which she has now had for about 6 months or so. The idea being of what is going in will keep her healthier.
Hope this is of help.
George, Morag, Billy and Lassie

Thank you to you all for taking time to reply. I think I will try Wagg to start with as they have it in Asda. I also know somewhere that sells the Dr John's. Thanks again.

my 3 are eating beta greyhound - it can be served dry or you can add water to make it into little sponge pockets - the dogs love it and I get it from pets at home. Mind you they tend to eat anything (tv remotes seem tasty at the moment) haha

HI AILSA

REGARDNG THE GREYHOUND DOG FOOD MY GREY IS
ON CONTRY VALU PRICE I0£ FOR A 15KG BAG

SHE SEEMS TO LIKE IT.

JANICE