Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Feeding Time

Sorry to bother everyone again. i was just wondering what time everyone feeds their greyhounds?

Re: Feeding Time

Hi Alastair

We feed Ace about 8am ish in the morning, although he never eats it all, saves some for later in the day. He then gets fed again about 7pm ish.

Kaz

Dont know if u are finding that Gemma is eating well but my Bambi didnt eat for ages after I brought her home! But I now feed her at about half 7 in the morning and again about t time - some days she eats it some days she doesnt - think I picked a bit of a picky eater!!lol

Jimmy told me today to feed Gamma before I go to bed but I forgot to tell him I work late at night from home so up late most night. when you feed your dog at 7ish does he last till the morning before needing to "Dirty" I want to try and get gemma into a routine that she will enjoy but wont need out in the middle of the night. She keeps going up to her bowl just now looking for food and am worried she should get feed now.

Kell & Lucy have breakfast at 7:00ish, dinner around 6:00. If you haven't already gone one get yourself an elevated feeder - eating at floor level is no good for your grey (have a look on the Help and Tips section of this site).

Alistair,
We feed Billy and Lassie twice a day, In the morning and last thing at night before going to bed around 10:30. That lets them go out after their meal do their necessary and then they will settle down to sleep on a full stomach and digest their meal. That advice was given to us by Celia and Jimmy after we had a problem with Billy getting us up through the night. That routine seem to be working for us anyway.
We feed them 2 cups of dry complete food mixed with some wet food. At the moment we are using Greyhound Country Valu (without the E) costing £9.99 for 15kg. The tins we buy supermarket own brand 1.25kg tins costing around 85 pence. Again it is what suits the individual dog and I am sure others will advise you differently.
I hope this helps as I was once in your shoes and had to learn the routine, as before Billy we had not had a dog.
Best of luck George, Morag, Billy and Lassie

Thanks so much for everyone’s advice. It’s good to know that so many people are all willing to share there info on these great dogs. Already have the proper feeder but thanks for asking. Katy (my partner has also given her a pillow for her head when she is in bed) Once we get her into a routine she will be fine.

Hi Alastair,

8.30 AM and 4.30 PM does the job for us.

John

Hi Alastair,
My 2 get fed at 6am & 6pm during the working week. Weekends it's later as we all have a long lie then a loooong walk - 12 ish & 8pm ish. I'm sure you'll be able to work out a routine that suits you all. Great you've already got an elevated feeder & importantly too, is to not feed for at least 30mins/1 hour before or after exercise.
Congratulations & many years of unconditional love & enjoyment

We're going to try the late night feed tip as Freya has decided recently that 3am is a lovely time to get up for a poo and a play.

hi there,
we feed Yogi about 9 in the morning and about 9 at night after his walk he does not always eat all of his food in one go unless its something tasty in that case we wonder if we put anyhing in the bowl it goes that fast.

however i was not aware about feeding after exersize, befroe it i know not to feed him as this can cause all sorts of stomach problems but in my knowlege after exersize is not as important as Yogi always gets his dinner after his walk when he gets in.

we feed our 3 at about 12 or 1 oclock then at about 5 or 6ish , they get a walk in the morning about 7 or 8 ish then about 3 depending on the time after a feed and about 9 or 10 at night dependant on shifts ect, you should leave at least 3 hours after a feed before exercise and about an hour after exercise before feeding