Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dogs and radiators!!!!!!!!!

We have just had a dreadful experience!! We have 3 greyhounds in the house. Rocky likes to lie in the kitchen. So imagine our terror, when he started screaming?! We ran through to find him with his hind leg trapped behind the radiator!!! He was in one of the beds right beside it but he had obviously rolled over and i take it, when he rolled back he couldn't as his underneath foot was stuck right up to his hock just above the wee pipe that comes out of floor, and in behind the actual radiator itself. It was stuck fast! No amount of manipulating was moving it!!! His screaming would have stopped your heart, i have never heard any thing like it. It was so stuck, my partner had to pull the radiator off the wall release it.
So please everyone, if your dogs are lying by the radiator, watch it hasn't moved too near the end? I hope our experience can stop another incident like this happening. The dog almost snapped his leg in two,the poor thing was so terrified, as we were, but thankfully, and goodness knows how, he is walking ok so is fine. I expect he will be quite bruised, so i'll get pain killers and arnica tablets for him tomorrow.

Re: Dogs and radiators!!!!!!!!!

What a horrific experience. I'm glad Rocky is ok!!!!!! Just thinking about it makes me feel a bit sick.

Michele

I think you've been very unlucky for that to have happened, but in turn been lucky that no real harm came of it. You can get radiator covers from B&Q and the like - they would offer some protection from this happening, and also stop the dogs from being able to touch the hot surface of the radiator.

Thanks Michelle and Steve for your posts. I will go and see about those covers thanks for that. Rocky is just fine, and it hasn't kept him away from the radiators, in fact he is jammed up against the living room one right now!! He has had a rough time of it lately. He was bought by my partner to race, he developed a slight limp. Looked like a corn, but could have been glass or a bit of sharp grit. The pad was X-Rayed, operated on twice, but to no avail. Unfortunately we have had to have it taken off last week. So he will be going for re-homing. We have already 2 rescued in house, and 3 racers outside. If it was up to me, i would keep all of them. If that had happened, since i met my partner 2 years ago, i would have 9 [incl the ones we already have] by this time!! So thank goodness for Celia and Jimmy, as he is on the waiting list for re-homing. He is a lovely dog, great in the house, and good to walk. Thanks again for your comments they are very much appreciated. x