Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
greyhound aggression

wegot a dog aged 6 and abitch aged 5 about a month ago both excellent with people.They were both neutered a fortnight ago.
Sadly the dog (Bob) is very aggressive to other dogs and I think he is trying to protect the bitch(Skippy)At the moment it is easier to walk them separately but as we are both in our seventies it is not the ideal solution and it takes a lot of the pleasure away.We love the dogs but we must solve this problem.Can anyone help?

Re: greyhound aggression

A few questions for you - Did you get both dogs at the same time? Has he calmed down since being neutered? What form does his aggression take, and who is it directed at? How is he when you walk him on his own?

My Bambi was very bad with other dogs when I first got her a bit over a year ago and she has improved so so much over the time I have had her so the first thing I would say to you is that time to trust you and settle in is very important for him - I know it is not easy at the start believe me!!
Ive found that completely ignoring the behaviour (which I know is difficult as u may be getting pulled about the place!!) was the best plan thus indicating there is nothing to be worried about although I have had (very) limited success in teaching Bambi the NO command also so maybe Bob would respond to that?
Bambi still has a fit if a dog is running off the lead and I always keep her muzzled as I would not be able to guarentee her reaction to a dog but she is definately at the far end of the aggression spectrum and Bob may just needs a little time to explore what these other strange four legged creatures are as he wont know what a non greyhound is?
Having said all of that I think Steves questions would be ones you may need to look at as this may start you understanding why he is behaving the way he is as I can only go on my experience with Bambi which may be completely different to what Bob is doing.

hi steve
In answer to your questions yes we got both dogs at the same time-they were kennelled together and were friends.His aggression is just as bad since being neutered afortnight ago but I believe it takes time to calm down and yes he is just as bad when out without his friend.
The bitch on her own is perfectly calm and easy to handle.

Hi, if he's just as bad when he's on is own then I think we can probably assume his aggression has nothing to do with being protective toward skippy.

When you say he is aggressive what is he doing? Does he try to drag you off to chase other dogs? Does he growl and snarl and snap at other dogs? Does he attempt to slip his collar or bite through his lead to get at other dogs? Does it matter if the dog he sees is in the distance or nearer to you? Does it make a difference if the other is on a lead or not? If you can give more detail it might help us to help you with advice and coping strategies.

Thanks for all the advice guys but unfortunately Bob is coming back as soon as kennel space allows. Skippy is being kept on her own.
Bob may, of course, quieten down when the testosterone dies down after the neutering. This can take some time.
Celia and Jimmy.

Aw thats a shame sorry to hear that x