Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tattoo

Hi

I rescued a greyhound last summer and I'd love to know more about her past. She has tattoos on both ears and i have been told by these you can trace where she came from. Can anyone tell me how I go about finding out?

Thank you

Re: Tattoo

Hi Carolyn,
If you can read the tattoo in her ears and she has raced there is a good chance you will find her pedigree here.
I believe a tattoo in the right ear only means she raced only in England, Scotland & Wales. However if she also has a tattoo in her left ear she raced in Ireland.
I have put a link to Greyhound-data below hope this is of help.
Let us know how you get on.

Click Here to go to tattoo search on Greyhound-data

George,Morag,Billy & Lassie

Hi Carolyn,

try this website - http://www.greyhound-data.com/earmark.htm.

edit - beaten to it!!!!

Hello again

Thanks for the link. I'm being asked to put in a longer "tattoo string" - what's this?!!

Bella's left ear is KRD and her right ear is DY (in green ink).

Cheers

Hi Steve

Thanx anyway

Carolyn
I'm being asked to put in a longer "tattoo string" - what's this?!!

Bella's left ear is KRD and her right ear is DY (in green ink).

Sounds like they're lookig for a three digit tattoo for each ear. Have another look and see if there's any chance you have mis-read her right ear. Failing that, if you got her from a greyhound rescue they should know her racing name and you can then use this search - http://www.greyhound-data.com/breed.htm?z=EDrlDt

Did you get her from Greyhound Rescue Fife?
If so could it could be this girl.
Click here to see this Bella from GRF"

George

Hi George

No I haven't found her. I didn't get her from GRF and she is mainly black (and quite grey round her muzzle) with some white. I called her Bella!

Thank you for mailing tho - I got quite excited when I thought it could have been her.

Hi Steve

Definately only two letters on her right ear (she's getting fed up of me peering into her ears now)! She was spotted last June running in fields at the back of Whitefield in Dundee. Brown St kennels tried to catch her off and on for two weeks but they couldn't get close enough. A week later she was found collapsed in the doorway of a hotel in Broughty Ferry - exhausted, dehydrated and a very infected back right foot - weighing in at 20kg - she was a very sick girl - not any more tho I'm delighted to say.

Thanks again for trying to help.

That's some story - well done!

Last thing I can think of is to try emailing the guys that run that greyhound data site. If you try this page http://www.greyhound-data.com/about_us.htm you can click on each person to send them an email. Tattoos in both ears suggests she is an Irish dog, so I would try emailing Jim McCormick and see if he can help you.

Hi Carolyn,
Jimmy here.
Having searched ear tattoos for 400+ greyhounds I know the problems.
Sometimes the tattoos are a wee bit difficult to read. However your dog was born in 2005.
I believe you may have HARESWOOD SALLY who has ear tattoos of DV BRD. You read DY KRD. I often find V and Y confusing and likewise B and K. I might be miles away but would be interested to see if you have her. You can find Sally on the greyhound-data site, she is Irish and black coloured.
Good luck and best wishes,
Jimmy.

Hi Jimmy

There's no photo so I really can't tell. Also my daughter (with better eye sight than me) reads the same letters as I did.

Oh well never mind - it's only for my own curiosity.

Thanks Jimmy. I must come visit your lovely greys one day.

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,
You are welcome at our kennels any time.
Best wishes,
Jimmy.