Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Jet and Sweetie

Hi everybody! Nicola here

Just to say that our two new hounds, Logan (Jet) and Jazz (Sweetie) are settling in very well so far. Its been two nights since the new members of the family arrived and they are just lovely. Very gentle and laid back. Jazz has bagged her favourite corner of the hall so we've put her bed there during the day and Logan settles down to snooze wherever we are. The two dogs get along well and it'll be interesting to see how they bond over time They both sleep in the kitchen at night on big duvet beds. Once completely house trained they'll be given the twin beds in the spare room!

House training is going a lot better than expected... only one pee from Logan inside the house today and he's a quick learner... answering to his new name already! Jazz is a clever girl and waits beside the door when she needs to go.

I took them on separate walks to begin with to see their reactions to other dogs. Logan was first and I was surprised when he gave absolutely no reaction to the passing cocker spaniel...good boy! Whilst the owner of the spaniel chatted to me about Logan, a boxer walked passed showing great interest in my greyhound and the spaniel. The small spaniel barked at the boxer whilst Logan just stood beside me, cool as a cucumber! When it was Jazz's turn she only saw a boxer from a distance but seemed fine.
So later I took them out together for a longer walk (with their muzzles) to a local park. They still got full marks for behaviour but we stayed out with sniffing distance just in case.

A friend/neighbour and fellow doggy lover came round to the house to meet Logan and Jazz who took to them instantly. We all decided to introduce the greys to her own border terrier so we went out to the street where its neutral territory. All three dogs were on the lead and Logan & Jazz muzzled. Haggis, the terrier, was very curious about the huge big dogs towering above him and just wanted to play. Jazz was a little shy, bless her, but both she and Logan checked out Haggis nice and quietly. They all stood nicely waiting for us to stop talking... the only blip was when Logan heard Haggis' playful growl and responded with his own warning whine.
An overall success with other dogs so far methinks!

Getting to know them better... Logan doesn't like going up stairs although going down is no problem. While Jazz hates walking on snow, she loves to eat it! Neither of them have given the sofa a second glance, despite the cosy cover and cushions! Confidence will come in time and once they've got to know their home I'm sure.

Hopefully Logan's coat will clear up soon. I'm adding cod liver oil and honey to his food with every meal so hopefully this will help.

Does anyone know what to do with calluses? He has a few, which don't seem to bother him but a visit to the vet is coming up soon.

Hope you're all well

Re: Jet and Sweetie

Hi Nicola,
We're so glad that your new " family " are doing fine so far. You are wise, taking no chances until you know the " real " Jazz and Logan. They were both laid back, easy to live with, dogs in the kennel, but, always expect the unexpected.
Give them both cuddles from their old auntie and uncle.
Celia and Jimmy.

Hi Elaine, Nicola & Chloe
Just wanted to thank you again for taking Logan & Jazz into you home. I spoke to you at the kennels on Thursday when you were taking them away.
It makes my day when you see the hounds going to their forever home.
We are both pleased they are settling in so well, they do know what is good for them you know.
Look forward to hearing updates of their progress.

George, Morag, Billy & Lassie

Hello

Thank you Celia & Jimmy :) Yes they are good dogs, I'm looking forward to seeing their real personalities developing, especially Logan who is quite reserved at the moment (except over food!!), however, you were definitely right in saying that "he just wants to be with you and stay with you" the soul loves his hugs

We have an open plan kitchen/sitting room which we have always blocked off with a sofa... I've been on doggy duty since we got them so it was mum's turn this morning (I'm 19 and off to uni in Sept) but I wish I'd been there this morning. Apparently Jazz was in an extremely playful mood and they were both playing 'jump the sofa', backwards and forwards and backwards and forwards... she was also taking items out the bin one by one which is usually Logan's job, haha. Funny things. The garden fence is up and finished now so all the excess energy was used up sprinting around our large grassy garden!

Yesterday we left Jazz in the house on her own (she was very sleepy) while we took Logan to collect Chloe from riding stables she volunteers at... Logan sleeps better in the car than he does in the house! He looked very perplexed when he saw one of the horses and took a step back, but overall a very confident boy.

Yeah I remember meeting you George, I asked your name so I could put a face to the name on here

Good day so far today, went paddling in the river on our long walk in the park.

Hey guys,

Have any of you ever had two greyhounds who didn't know each other before you got them?

I'm not sure how it is going with our two... I don't think Logan is suited to living with another dog. Jazz started out very friendly towards him and licked him whenever she saw him but after a week of him ignoring her and pushing her out the way whenever we turn our attention to her, she is now scared of him. This had resulted in Jazz running away from us because she associates our attention with a shove from Logan, who is also bigger than her. He is not an aggressive dog but very jealous.

It is making progress difficult with one very domineering dog and one very scared dog.

Any advice would be much appreciated...

Hi Nicola,
I had Brionnach from being a puppy & when he was 18 months old I got Maisie from G.R.F so they were complete strangers.
Maisie was VERY timid when i got her & wouldn't even come into a room if there was more than just me in it. She'd about turn & head back to her bed. I just left her cos I thought being pushy would increase her fear. Over time she got more confident & isn't phased by anything at all now.
Brionnach was quite jealous of her initially, not in an agressive way, but it didn't take her long to show him who's really the boss.
From the G.R.F hounds that I've fostered there hasn't been any that haven't fitted in - we all adjusted to each other
I think things will work out for you all - it just takes a little time

Oh & be firm with Logan & show him you're the boss

Hi everyone,
You might have seen Jet and Sweetie are back on the please choose me page again. Unfortunately they were returned to Baltree Kennels yesterday (Sunday) and were signed over to us for re-homing again.
They came back with their new bedding and some of their treats. They are now settled in together with their new beds in their kennel and hopefully we will find a new forever home for them shortly.
George & Morag

I'm really sad to hear the news about Jet and Sweete.

Re: Jet and Sweetie (Logan and Jazz)

Yes, it's very sad that they are back, but I really hope not for long. It was a very difficult, heart-wrenching decision which has churned up all sorts of painful emotions. The problem was NOT the dogs. Really lay more to do with the restraints of my personal situation and changing family circumstances at this particular stage in life, clashing with the committment/time that was becoming apparent in owning sighthounds. During the time they lived with us, I began to realise the realities of owning them & I knew I had to make a decision before we became even more emotionally attached. It's not a decision Nicola, my daughter, shares & that made it all the harder. Perhaps if I'd taken just one the outcome would have been different, but my heart ruled my head when that decision was made. Hindsight is a great thing. Logan and Jazz are amazing, gentle, graceful, intelligent and affectionate dogs, full of character & desperate to be loved. I'm so glad GRF is there to provide temporary sanctuary for them and all the others. Despite the emotional turmoil, I'm glad I met them and got to know them a little. Despite my love of dogs, it's the correct thing to do to admit that I am not the right owner for them at this particular time in my life, better for the dogs too. I tried, never for a moment at the outset thinking it wouldn't be their forever home. Perhaps I should have read the forum in detail for more of an insight. I hope I havn't unsettled them too much. They had a lovely "holiday" with us and it is surely a taste of what is permanently to come in the not too distant future in the right home. Thanks to the staff on Sunday who showed kind understanding of my plight & the guilt I felt at returning them.
Elaine

I'm thankful to hear they are settled and with the bedding we bought them. I hope you'll read my other post, giving some indication of why they came back. I really am very sorry.

Hey its a sad situation for both humans and dogs involved but hopefully with your honesty in your post it will mean that no new potential owners are put off by the fact that they were returned to the kennels so good on you for posting that as fingers crossed it will help them find their forever home x