Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Zoe / looking for any tips re toilet training

Hi all,

We adopted the lovely Zoe on the 1st of March and she is an absolute delight. She's been quick learning most things however she still has the occasional accident in the house. She goes out regulary and gets loads of praise when she performs. She's not been too great in asking for us to let her out but I have been watching the way she acts prior to her little accidents and mostly she makes it out in time. When she does something, usually a wee it's in the same place in the house. Any tips in preventing this or will it just take time? Look forward to any idea's you might have

Re: Zoe / looking for any tips re toilet training

I can only go by our own experience with Booker and Tula. (Eddie & Dusk) We give them a treat as well every time they perform outside. Tomorrow we will have had them for 4 weeks.

Thy know fine well that they are supposed to do it outside, but we still have the occasional inside job. We tried to put down puppy training pads during Tula;s illness and that almost worked. With that I mean that they both used it a couple of times, but for the most times hit right on the edge so half went on and the other half.... well you get the idea. However. If it is the same spot every time, would probably put down something and also use pet odour remover.

I am not using them anymore because they are scented with pheromones and I am afraid it could stimulate to think that inside is ok. I think it is only a matter time, even if that could be a while.

As I said, mine were not house trained at all and they learned very very quickly where it is supposed to be done, but they don't always get it right. 3 times inside 2 days ago...

I also find that with Booker if he gets exited he just cant help himself, but has to let off a little squirt.... Believe it or not, but when male dogs do that it is actually a sign of respect and submission as well.

Ive had Bambi for a year and a half now and altho she will let me know that she needs to go out if it is outwith her normal timescale she does do this in a very subtle manner and it took me ages to finally understand what she wanted!! None of this simple running to the door nonsense for her oh no she plays and jumps about and i was obviously supposed to click on that this meant she wanted out not just that she was playing!!lol Now she does respond if i ask her if she needs to "go wee" and so I knwo for definate she is not just playing!!lol
I have found with Bambi that if she is upset about something - like for instance I go out when I wouldnt usually - that she will sometimes do what I call a defiance wee in the house - but I think it is all linked with her love for routine and when she doesnt know what is going on she gets stressed out.
Having said all of that it is absolutely just time that cracks it in the end!! Oh and by the way something I discovered early on was that Bambi didnt understand praise she just didnt get it at all!! Seems a weird thing to say but now she reacts to praise in the early days she didnt - treats as a reward would have been fine but she wouldnt (and still quite often wont) take treats outside of the house so that didnt really help me!! Good luck u will get there tho!! x

Hi Gillian,

If Zoe is peeing in the same place then you need to make sure you're cleaning up any previous pee properly. Biological Washing powder breaks down the uric acid in their urine that they can still smell but we can't. If you scrub the area with water and biological washing powder she shouldn't beable to locate the same area again. If she's doing it out of habit then block the area with something so she can't get to it.

Hope this helps.

Fiona

Thanks for the advice. It is usally the same place that Zoe has her little accidents so I will try the Biological Powder to wash the area and see how that works. She likes her little treats and praise when she does good and as soon as she realises she's made a mistake she's off looking guilty!! At least her accidents are on hard surfaces and easy to clean up.
After 2 weeks I really can't complain as she has come on leaps and bounds.

thanks again

Gillian

Hi

So happy that Zoe as found a nice home. When we adopted our first grey in January we were torn between Gemma and Zoe. We picked Gemma but we always check to see if Zoe has been rehomed so its so nice to hear she has.

I dont have much to offer on her wetting in the house, we were very lucky with Gemma as she has only ever had one accident (touch wood!). I find that when she wants out she walks in circles by the door.Maybe watch Zoe to see if she does something similiar? You can buy a cheap spray in tesco that cleans and removes the urine odour when cleaning the wet up.

Good luck!

Hi Katy

That's so nice to hear that you considered adopting Zoe. Gemma sounds a lovely girl too. Zoe is very shy outside our home but has made a few friends at our local vet and also made friends when out walking. She's not too keen and would rather hide - usually under my jacket. I think she feels that if she can't see them they can't see her.
We have another dog, Pepper who is a spaniel and she loves him to bits. She's always kissing him which I think he seems to enjoy. He can walk right under her and they are funny when they stand like that outside.
She loves her toys and it's great fun seeing her playing. She also enjoys getting her tummy rubbed. She playfully nips in excitement but she is all and all very gentle. She's been a delight.

Zoe is still having the odd wee, but I have used the bio power and we'll see how that goes, we have training pad on standby but I would rather not use them. It's no problem to clean up as it's always on a hard surface (same place). She'll get there in the end, I'm sure

I hope you have enjoyed seeing Gemma's personality develope as much as we have with Zoe.

best wishes

HI GILLIAN

GLAD YOU HAVE REMOVED A GREY FROM CELIA
I HAVE A GREY FROM RGT SHE WEED A COUPLE OF
TIMES WHEN I FIRST GOT HER WHICH IS UNDERSTANDABLE
WITH IT BEING A STRANGE PLACE.
I HAVE OTHER DOGS NOT GREYS THEY HAVE TAUGHT HER
HOW TOLET ME KNOW WHEN SHE WANTS TO WEE

I JUST SAY DO YOU WANT TO WEE AND SHE GOES
RUNNING TO THE BACK DOOR OR SHE STARES AT
AT ME TILL I GET THE MESSAGE. YOU GET TO KNOW
THERE BODY LANGUAGE GOOD LUCK

Hi Gillian,

I'm quite glad to see this posting as I adopted Rab (now Bruce) a couple of weeks ago and he too is having the same house training issues so your not the only one and like yourself Bruce is learning other things quite quick but seems slow with this one!!

I've been taking him out into the garden every so often whether he needs it or not and using the Pee Pee word so he associates it with the toilet. He seems to be making slight improvements which i'm pleased tho sometimes he'll stand and wee right infront of me indoors with no warning.

I've also been praising him like a looney whenever he does it where he's supposed to. Folk must think I'm daft when we're out walking. Tho I am trying to keep treats out of the toilet training and using praise instead as he pee pee's a lot,lol. He gets his treats for other things tho but he seems to respond better to the praise and attention too.

Hope this helps slightly, as I say we're starting to see a wee bit of improvement, I hope you do too :)

Susan xx

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Zoe is still having the odd accident where she just seems to forget to ask usually when I am not there and there's someone else at home, I am starting to understand her body language much better and I can see she does more than her best to please.
She has had a few bad experiences while out walking ie. dog snarling and barking at her, children squeeling and she actually doesn't want to go out for walks but we are working on that too. She's very sensitive but my other dog (Spaniel) is happy to stick up for her if the need is there. Oh, the other thing is I have heard a woof (once) but she doesn't bark!! Anyone else experience that?