Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A Question.....

Has anyone experienced their Greyhound not wanting to go for a walk?
My delightful Zoe, just hates going out, she turns round at every opportunity to head for home. I take treats in my pocket but she's very shy and tries to hide if she sees other people, children seem to frighten her. She runs round in circles and we have to stop until she settles. She does not wee or do her business when we are out even although she has seen my other dog doing his! She prefers the privacy of the back garden :) Any ideas?

Re: A Question.....

Hi Gillian

Our first greyhound Vickie was exactly the same when we first got her. We could walk for miles and she wouldn't do anything until we got back home. She'd keep stopping and not want to walk and would always be looking to head for home.

We found that as time went on she did improve but the biggest improvement was when we got our second greyhound Blakey. It seemed to make her more at ease and she walks much better now, although she will still at times dig her heels (claws??) in and not want to walk. However with a bit of encouragement she'll continue. She's also nothing like as nervous now when she meets kids, other dogs etc.

It's funny when we walk as she'll always try and push in between whoever is walking Blakey so that she's in the middle.

In the house it's very different she's the boss and Blakey just goes with the flow.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Hi,
when we first got Billy he was very nervous and always wanted to walk on the side away from the traffic. Patience and time and he's grand now and I think Zoe will be too.

When anyone adopts a hound I think it's important to remember life in a home is so so different from life in a racing kennel. They may not have experienced traffic, noise, lots of people, other breeds of dogs, hoovers, stairs........

Michele

Thank you both for your replies. Zoe walkes with Pepper my other dog (spaniel) she loves him to bits and on the way home she walks with him as she would if he were a greyhound - side by side, Pepper has never had so much attention she snuggled into him last night for the first time for a nap on my bed :) . I will just allow her to settle in her own time with her walks. She's brilliant in the house now and in the past week has really come out of herself a lot, playing with her toys and wanting us to chase her! She's so eager to please. I realised fairly quickly that she was not used to the noises we experience on a daily basis. She does however love vans (obviously been in a lot of them in the past for travelling).
Thanks again.

My Bambi loves vans also and it can be quite embarrasing as she tries to get in them quite often!!lol She especially likes red vans I have noticed!!lol Glad to hear that Zoe is settling in and making friends!

Hi Joan
When Zoe gets into my husbands van she refuses to get out again. She's doing so well with us and I think I am starting to see her personality now. I am sure the walking part will come in time I just found it very unusual her not wanting to go out for a walk. I am still tempting her out daily and Pepper waits patiently on her being coaxed for her walks with him.
Bambi must have been like Zoe and done a lot of travelling in vans. Red vans in her case. They are smart dogs with good memories.