Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Home Wanted

Hi everyone

Unfortunately I am looking for a home for Flash and Cleo as I cannot keep them any longer. I have discussed this with Celia who has offered a kennel when one becomes available, however I really do not want them to go back into kennels. I am really sad to have to say goodbye to them but it will be easier if I know they will be going to a home rather than a kennel. The most important thing for me is to make sure they are happy and that they have new owners who will love them as much as I do.

Let me tell you a bit about each of them.

Flash is a beautiful, big, gentle giant. He is a real gentleman who is loved by everyone. He gets on really well with children and other dogs and just wants a nice easy life, he is so laid back he is almost horizontal! Flash immediately made his home on the small sofa I have in the dining room and has made it his space, that is when Cleo doesn't con him out of it! He is an excellent walker and extreemely gentle, even my granddaughter walks him with supervision.

Cleo is a beautiful, cheeky lady who rules Flash. She loves to follow you everywhere, mainly to check if she is missing something! She is great with the children and loves to see them all. She loves to play with other dogs and is more energetic than Flash.

Both dogs are very well behaved, they leave the kitchen when you tell them, they lie down and wait for a treat until you tell them they can have it.

They really are extreemely gentle and beautiful dogs and I am so sad to have to admit that I cannot commit to them any longer.

Please contact me if you feel you may be in a position to offer Flash hand Cleo a home, which of course will be vetted by Celia and Jimmy. I am not saying Kennels are a bad place but I would like to make sure they have the right home so that both dogs are as happy as possible considering the circumstances.

Sandra

Re: Home Wanted

Coming hot on the heels of the tragic story of Thor and Lady, this thread both saddens and angers me at the same time. What a desperate shame that these dogs are going to be moved on again. Looking at 'the lucky ones' pages they were rehomed in 2006 and then again in April 2009. I can't imagine any set of circumstances that would make me give up Kell and Lucy.

Nothing in this post gives any clue as to why you feel the need to break these dogs hearts all over again. Having weathered the storm of the cat incident last year (having totally disregarded the advice given to you by GRF) what has happened to make you do this now?

Chris, I am insulted by your comments and I do not see how my post or my situation is the same as the tragic circumstances that Thor and Lady when through. I am extreemely concerned that neither Flash or Cleo return to kennels which his why I made my original request for a home. I thought that if someone is considering homing a greyhound then they will be able to take one straight from a home rather than a kennel. I can assure you that I will not be 'dumping' my dogs in a council pound or anywhere other than where they will be happy. Please refrain from your comments as they are not helping the homing of two beautiful greyhounds. I have not put my 'reasons' as to why I am having to rehome my dogs because quite frankly Chris it has nothing to do with you.

If anyone is considering homing a greyhound then please contact me. I will be able to give you all the information about the dogs, so you know what you will be getting. As I said earlier Jimmy and Celia are aware of my intentions and Flash and Cleo will not be homed without their vetting first.

I can assure you that I will do all I can to ensure that Flash and Cleo's heart is NOT broken. This has been a very hard decision for me, however I am determined that it will be a positive move for both dogs. I have only Flash and Cleo's best interests at heart so I would appreciate your support rather than your scathing critisism.

Sandra

If your reasons are nobodys business but your own you shouldn't have posted on a public forum. I would have thought that anybody with genuine reasons for having to give up their dogs would share them.

On the subject of whose business it is to do what maybe you should go and read your rehoming agreement, section 5 - "He will not be raced, sold, used for breeding, abandoned or given away." It is not your business to rehome these unfortunate dogs. Then again, seeing as you recklessly endangered the dogs and that cat by ignoring sections 8 and 9 of the agreement it comes as little suprise you are now ignoring the rest of it.

It strikes me the dogs will be better off at Baltree than spending any more time where they are not wanted. I make no apology for the fact you feel insulted. I am quite sure your dogs would feel insulted if they knew what was going to happen to them but they cannot come onto the forum and speak for themselves. Hopefully their next owners will take them on as the long term commitment that they are, and adhere to the rehoming agreement (which is there for the dogs safety and wellbeing). If that is the case then we can agree on something - it will be a positive move for both dogs.

By the way, who is Chris?

Steve, as much as I am tempted to get into a row with you I think this is neither the time or place. This post is about finding the right home for Flash and Cleo. You certainly are not doing the site any favours with your comments.

I posted onto a public site to access people who are genuinely interested in homing my dogs not to have a row with you and will certainly not share my personal situation with you on a public forum!

As regard to section 5 - "He will not be raced, sold, used for breeding, abandoned or given away." I am doing none of these, I am atempting to find a home rather than Flash and Cleo going into Kennels. The reason for this I am sure you will agree is to ensure their happiness and wellbeing at what is already a difficult situation. I have mentioned several times in previous posts that Celia and Jimmy will be vetting anyone who does want to rehome them so how am I disregarding section 5?

As regarding your comments re my reckless endagering of my dogs then I presume that every owner on this site has never let their dogs off the lead. I made a terrible mistake which caused a lot of distress not only to myself but to the owners of the cat. What gives you the right to condem me?

Your nasty comments regarding the dogs being better of at Baltree rather than with me are extreemely hurtful at what is already a very upsetting time. I think the only person here being show in a bad light is yourself with your nasty and vile comments.

Now please refrain from such unhelpful comments and hopefully we can get back to finding the right people to look after Cleo and Flash.

Sandra

Well said Steve it's about time that someone called a spade a spade regarding these situations where people take on dogs and then decide months or even years down the line that they no longer want them. To me it is worse returning a dog or dogs after a year or more than bringing them back after a few days/weeks as the poor souls have established themselves in what they think are their forever homes and suddenly find themselves in a new and strange environment through no fault of their own. I am speaking from experience having fostered 14 of GRF's dogs and have ended up keeping no.14 as she too had been rehomed twice to people who wanted a 'dog in a box' that fitted into their regime and because of some very trivial issues decided to move her on. As you stated it is a public forum and if you choose to put something controversial on it then you can expect to be subject to replies which you may not like. By prevaricating or refusing to state the reasons for giving up the dogs just makes it all the more questionable.

Sorry Sandra but I also have to agree with the other posts you can't expect people to accept what you are doing when you can't give an explanation of why you are looking for new homes for these lovely dogs, you have to remember their are people who are devoted too their dogs reading this forum, and they wouldn't give them up for anything and they can't understand why you are especially after having them as long as you have and the age they are. It is sometimes harder to rehome older dogs so they will be lucky if they are rehomed together so they would have lost what they thought was their forever home and each other im sorry but I just couldn't live with myself for doing that but that's me im devoted to my dogs like alot of other people on this forum.

Sandra,
I'd just like to be a wee supportive voice in the wilderness, here, as you're taking a lot of flak. I don't doubt that you love Flash and Cleo and that you have their interests at heart. You are right, your reasons for giving them up are your business, and perhaps Celia and Jimmy's. You are also right that we all make mistakes with our greyhounds, and it can be down to luck whether we get away with it or not.
As you know, I live not far away and I'll keep my ears to the ground for you. If I didn't have three hounds of my own, I'd be happy to help, but I'm already pushed for car and FURniture space.
Flash and Cleo need to be the priority now and I shall focus on that.
Marion

Sandra

I don't know your situation so I can't judge if I think you are right or wrong. Flash and Cleo are the priority and it breaks my heart to read about another two pals possibly being spit.
I am sure it could not have been an easy decision but it's not one that I could have made. My dogs are part of my family and I would never dream of getting rid of my "teenagers" just because circumstances changed!! My dogs have the same rights as far as I am concerned.
I hope things work out for you and that you keep us updated on the progress of finding your dogs a home.

Whoa! Hold your horses, everyone. While I can understand the frustration at two dogs needing rehoming again, we shouldn't be so quick to judge.

I adore my three greys and can't imagine life without them and I couldn't imagine a scenario where we'd need to give them up, as everyone is saying they're part of the family and adoption is for life.

But, we don't know the circumstances. There could be all manner of extremely personal, possibly upsetting/traumatic reasons why someone is no longer able to look after their dogs. I won't speculate as to possibilities here out of consideration for Sandra but I doubt it was just an issue of convenience.

Nothing makes me more angry than people who chuck their dogs out without consideration (I remember being really annoyed reading a post about our Shandy being taken back to the kennels by a previous owner just because he wasn't housetrained), but Sandra can't have taken the decision lightly and is trying to do the right thing by contacting Celia and trying to prevent the dogs from having to go back into kennels and the forum is a good place to ask.

I really hope you and Celia can find someone to take Flash and Cleo together, Sandra - good luck. As a couple of other posters have said, the important thing to focus on is finding a new home, preferably where they can stay together. I only wish we had room for two more!

Flash and Cleo are now back in our kennels and we hope to get a home for them together very soon.
Celia and Jimmy.