Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New owner needing advice!

Hi everyone!

I visited the kennels on Sunday and took home a 4 year-old greyhound boy named Rebel, he's settled in great!

I am on to ask about jackets, its been quite warm here but has rained the last couple of nights. He doesn't seem bothered but I am worried he should have a jacket on these nights, what do you think?

The main reason I ask is I don't want him to be wet and too hot!

Thanks people!

Re: New owner needing advice!

Hi Robert,

I spoke to you at the kennels on Sunday and have been wondering how you were getting on. So glad to hear he's settling in well with you.

Getting wet won't do him any harm as long as you dry him off when you get home but if he's anything like mine he will not be impressed at all with the rain! In fact if it's particularly torrential I can't get mine out the door!

I have got a rain coat for mine which is pretty thin so don't think it would hold in a great deal of heat but it does keep him dry.

I'm sure someone will be along soon and post with some good advice.

Hi Robert

We bought some coats from the pet shop in Kirkcaldy (not sure of the name but you access it off the esplanade). They were quite pricey, about £40 each, but are nice and warm and keep them dry.

We only use them if the rain is torrential and/or if it's cold as their skin's quite thin (so they were used a lot in January/February!). Our dogs can get a bit hot and "panty" in the warm weather so we don't use them on sunny/warm days. Our greys don't mind a bit of rain - in fact Shandy loves being rubbed down by a warm towel - he jumps around when he sees me pick the towel up and goes all "goofy" when I start rubbing his back!

We've got fleece lined waterproof coats for our two and we tend to go by the advice we were given when we first got them - if we need a coat, so do they.

It works well for our two although it can be fun trying to get them out in the rain sometimes

Hi Robert

Zoe has a spring/summer coat which is quite thin, we bought it from the greyhound megastore on the internet. It cost £20. She will need a winter coat too as it would be too thin for the cold days. She didn't seem to know a coat when we tried it on her so I think it may have been a first for her. She thought it was a game to start with and kept trying to take it off.

Zoe doesn't seem to like the rain either and refuses to go out at all so we too have fun persuading her She likes being dried with her towel though if she does get wet

Thanks, he's settled in great!
He's asleep most of the time :P

I think I'll buy him something light and water proof for now and something a bit heavier for the cold weather, I can't imagine him bothering about the rain but I don't want him to be cold.

We got caught out the other night and he didn't seem to notice, just a big shake when we came in!
He seems to like the towel but then he seems to just enjoy any attention lol

I was thinking of using jansgifts.co.uk, what do you think?

Thanks for all the replies people!

Hi Robert,

Finn has 2 coats, a rain coat and a winter fleece lined coat. Both came from JansGifts and I'm more than happy with them.

Im the same, my 3 have light waterproofs for rain and heavy blizzard jackets for winter.

Mind you trying to get this 3 over the door (even in drizzle) is a nightmare lol

HI ROBERT
JUST FOUND OUT ABOUT REBEL BEING REHOMED GREAT
MY GREYHOUND HAS A COAT FOR OUTSIDE WHICH IS
WATERPROOF AND FLEECE LINED ALSO HAVE AN INSIDE
COAT TO KEEP THEM WARM.GE T THEM FROM GREYHOUND
IN NEED AND RETIRED GREYHOUND TRUST GO ON
THERE LINKS. GOOD LOOK IN GETTING ONE.

I can't believe he was there so long?

Maybe it's because he pees on his front paw......

Hi Robert,

Ruby has 2 coats. One for spring/summer & one for winter. Her winter coat is a waterproof fleece from equafleece.co.uk. Ruby has the one that fits over her head like a snood and fastens under her tummy. It keeps her cosy and dry and washes well time and time again in the machine. They have a good range of coats. Hope this helps.

Susan