Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Started Barking

We have had Gemma now for almost 5 months and she had NEVER barked before until 2 weeks ago. First time she done it she was starring straight at my wife. We didn't know if this was in a playful way or not. She has done this a few times now and today when we got home she seen us from the window and started barking really loud.

Has anyone came across this before and is this just a playful thing or is she starting to rebel and push her boundaries

Re: Started Barking

1 of mines barks with excitement.
1 barks when told to.
1 barks when trying to get the others to play
and jet who i am fostering barks if i`m late getting his dinner or needs the loo.
think it just takes time to figure out what the bark is for.

Finn has done this to me a few times now. The first time it happened I got a bit of a start I must admit as like Gemma he just kind of stared right at me and let out a woof! I told him off (cos I got a fright)

Second time he was standing quite near his toy box so as I wasn't sure what he was after I picked up a toy and he went nuts for it! He still does it on the rare occasion but now I know it just means he wants a carry on.

Like Angela says it's probably a process of elimination and you'll soon get to know what she's after. Doesn't take them long to get us trained!

Hi Alastair

It may be that she's settling in well and now wants to start playing?

Our Nell took a few months to settle in and when she did she started barking in excitement when it was walkies time. Missie also took a bit of time but when her cheeky character came out, she started running up and barking when she wanted a play.

Missie now has me trained so that if she runs up and barks at me, we have a bit of a kick about in the garden with her ball (until Shandy does a pitch invasion and nicks it, that is).

If Gemma looks happy when she's barking (ie tail wagging, ears up) I'd say she's after a bit of fun!

we got jake last year and he hardly peeped, then when we got noah in october last year good old jake found his voice (think it was due to having male competition in the house), now we cant get him to shut up.

tara only barks when the cat escapes into the garden

Funnily enough I thought Bruce (Rab) didn't know how to bark but he too seems to have found his voice only recently.
He goes crazy if he sees a cat and barks like mad but he's started barking and howling when I put the key in door if I'm returning home!
Suz xx

HI ALASTAIR
MY GREY DIDNT BARK FOR A LONG TIME SHE ONLY
BARKED WHEN SHE KNEW SHE WAS GOING FOR A WALK
SHE GOT QUITE EXCITED AND RUN ROUND IN CIRCLES
YOU WILL HAVE TO WATCH THERE BODY LANGUAGE
THEY WILL LET YOU KNOW IF THEY WANT THERE FOOD
OR GO OUT FOR A WEE
SHE SOMETIMES BARKS WHEN MY OTHER DOG BARKS
SO I SAY A SHARP NO DONT NEED TWO DOGS BARKING
TAKES AWHILE FOR THEM TO GET THERE CONFIDENCE