Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
interesting read which helps the galgos

From Heaven to Hell, by Beryl Brennan, is the story of the 100,000 a year galgos, (spanish greyhounds), including our ex-racers and many irish greyhounds which end up in Spain, the annual holocaust, and the work of the spanish and european rescues which try to help them. All proceeds of the book go to these rescues. There is an online version and a print version, from Scoot Books, who published this for free. You can find it at http://www.scootbooks.com
It's an interesting read,with a lot about the political and cultural influences which work against welfare improvements, but have a BIG box of hankies at the ready. I think the point which probably shocked me most is that you cannot even just go for a walk with your pet greyhound in certain parts of Spain as the risk of it just being snatched from your hands is so great, and you'll be followed home by thieves to find out where the hound is kept.

Re: interesting read which helps the galgos

The story of spanish galgos is sickening. At the end of the hunting season it is commonplace for them to be strung up with piano wire and die a slow painful death. As fn says unwanted Irish and UK dogs end up in Spain.
They're beautiful animals just like the greyhound here and neither deserve the abuse!

HI MICHELLE
JUST READ ON THE FORUM ABOUT THE GALGOS
IN SPAIN. YES I KNOW WHAT THEY DO OVER THERE
TO THE GALGOS WHEN FINISHED RACING.

I WENT OVER TO HELP AT ONE OF THE BOARDING KENNELS
WHICH TOOK IN EIGHT GALGOS THEY WERE SO
FRIGHTENED I SAT IN THERE KENNEL WITH EACH ONE
AND JUST TALKED TO THEM I WAS SO SAD TO COME
HOME AND LEAVE THEM THEY MAKE ME SICK

Hi all,

Take a look at this website about a rehoming centre in Spain. Their main aim is to help galgos but they rescue all sorts of animals.

Their work is very impressive.

http://www.scoobymedina.org/

(website in English too)

HI LISA
I GOT IN TOUCH WITH SCOOBY TO SEE IF I CAN
HELP THEY SENT ME INFO BUT THE CENTRE WAS
TOO FAR IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE YOU NEEDED
A CAR TO GET THERE.

I think we should write to our European Parliament members to raise the question. Both Poland and the UK, like other countries, have their members in The EP. Maybe this subject will touch their conscience...