Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Poor Alfie

Just back from the vets and our poor Alfie has the start of arthritis in his leg. We got anti inflammatories from the vets but can anyone tell us if its ok to give him cod liver oil to help his joints and does anyone have any other advice on whats good to do or use for him?

Re: Poor Alfie

Sorry to hear that. As our last 2 got older and stiff in the limbs we used glucosamine and condroitin powder sprinkled over their dinner. It was recommended by the vet and seemed to help a little.

Haven't used this on a greyhound so you would need to check this out to see if there is any reason not to but my vet recommended Green Lipped Mussel Extract for my old collie along with the glucosamine mentioned before. It seemed to help a bit and was easy to get him to take as it smelled like fish!

Hi,
We have used both Steve and Joan's suggestions with some success. Keep giving him light exercise - don't let him lie on the leg for too long periods of time.
Finally give him one of our cuddles, that'll surely help.
Celia and Jimmy.

Thanks guys, we will try your suggestions. Hugs all round for Alfie.

My parents used an infrared heat lamp on their last grey for her arthritis - they got it cheap from ARGOS.

Meanwhile, a bit of google research has found this article that looks quite helpful

Dear Lorin & Darren,
This may not suit all greyhounds, as they are not natural water dogs, but hydrotherapy is a great way to get gentle exercise without placing weight on inflamed joints. I take my greyhound Bryn swimming(see August newsletter)as he had a severe injury to his front leg while racing and I'm hoping to prevent/delay problems later in life.
You might like to check this out with your vet first then I can put you in touch with my hydrotherapy team if you want to give it a try.
Marion