Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Puffy leg

Last Friday night Kell started to limp for no aparent reason - one minute he was fine in the house, the next he couldn't any weight on his back leg. I couldn't see any wasps around so I thought he maybe knocked up a toe, or somehow caught his foot on something.

Over the weekend we gave him short walks only, and he started to put some weight on his back leg again, especially if there was something good that needed to be peed up! However, just to be on the safe side we took him to the vets on Monday.

They examined his foot thoroughly and could find no cuts or puncture marks, and no localised pain and decided that he had sprained his ankle. At this point there was only slight swelling. He was prescribed very light exercise and Metacam (an anti-inflammatory). Since then his foot and lower leg have swollen up dramatically so we went back to the vets last night who have now prescribed antibiotics given the swelling and that the area is hotter than his other leg. So far this hasn't made any difference.

Kell is still quite quick on his three good legs and could beat anyone in a three legged race, but he's not quite his useful happy self.

Anyone had this before? Does anyone know if in rare cases Metacam can cause problems?

Re: Puffy leg

Hi Steve,
Never heard of Metacam having any adverse effects. We wouldn't have thought that the taking of Metacam would have caused a problem simply within the inflamed area. We'd have guessed that a more general reaction woud have taken place.
Is tendonitis a possibility?
Failing all else, give Kell a huge cuddle from us.
Please keep us posted.
Celia and Jimmy.

Just been back to the vets for a further check. The swelling, although still evident, is much reduced. They have advised to complete the bottle of Metacam and a further week on the antibiotics. He is still on light exercise, and this is to increase gradually once he recovers. The casue f this remains a mystery with either a sprain or a tiny puncture being the most likely causes. Since the swelling has reduced he is much happier in himself.

Looking on the bright side, Kell enjoyed todays trip to the vets - a couple of people brought in hampers* for him to stare and drool at.

*hamper = small box/cage with a cat inside it

Glad to hear Kell is on the mend. Knotting myself at the 'hamper' incident!

Ta for the "hampers" bit I was sneaking a look on the site at work and of course I laughed out loud at "hampers" which of course drew attention to the fact I was not working!!!lol Very very funny!! x