Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Does the greyhound bark?

For some time I have been volunteering as a dog walker for The RSPCA. I have seen quite a few greys but I have never seen them barking... They have always been very quiet, sometimes shy and patiently waiting for a walker. Comparing to other breeds of dog they seem to be quite non-aggressive as well. When being walked they sometimes snarled at the dogs passing by but I have never seen greys assaulting them. Do greys bark? If so when does it happen? Do they attack other dogs? I have not got too vast a knowledge about the breed and I think it would be good to introduce some new forum readers (maybe potential future owners) to this issue.
Thanks,
Stan

Re: Does the greyhound bark?

mines only barks when he sees rabbit or cats other than that you wouldnt know i have a dog in the house silly bugger didnt even bark when someone stole the motorbike from my back garden need a german shepherd lol

To answer your question " Do Greys Bark " the answer is yes but not often. We live with three pet ( ex racing hounds ) and they tend to "Whine" if they want
out to the garden or if we,ve forgotten to give them their treat after they have been out to the toilet.

They will bark if a cat passes close to our window, and in their territory, otherwise they are calm and loving creatures who spend most of the time sleeping, but somehow manage to waken up when the biscuit tin is opened.

One of ours, a 12 year old bitch, does not take to smaller dogs ( usually which are off the lead) coming up to her and will give a growl as a warrning for them to back off, which they usually do. But she will happily walk past all dogs no problem whatsoever, if they are being controlled properly and not annoying her.

Do they attack other dogs ?

No they dont! but like in every other breed of dog there is always the exception to the rule. We do not let our dogs run aimlessly in the park, less they see a squirell or a rabbit, as their natural instinct would be to chase them. they are let off in a secure area, and only one at a time . After a quick burst of energy, back they come looking for their treat

I would conclude by saying weve had dogs for 40 years and numerous breeds, and if we had got a greyhound first we would not have had anything else. They are wonderfull house dogs, very low maintenance,not in your face all the time, and love travelling in the car.

Hopefully this has been some help to you.

Thank you for the detailed description on this subject.
So greys seem to be perfect dogs for flat owners as well because their rare barking does not disturb the neighbours.

I have two, they bark rarely. Have heard my lad bark twice in 3 years and my girl maybe 10 times in 5 years. Gives me a fright when they do it and it's quite funny!!

Vince and Freya will bark at each other when they want to play (or when one thinks the other is getting something they aren't getting) and they occasionally bark at something small and furry going past the fence.

They can certainly imitate a wolf at full moon when they want to get your attention for something but as their slave you should know what they want and do/get it for them before they have to tire their vocal chords out.

When on a lead, Vince will bark at any small dog that heads towards him - apart from that they are quiet compared to most breeds.

NOT VERY OFTEN A GREY WILL BARK
I HAVE TWO GREYS A FEMALE ONE WHO ONLY
BARKS A BIT WHEN SHE SEES THE POSTMAN
MY NEW GREY NOT HEARD HIM BARK
THEY ARE VERY LAID BACK DOGS

We have 3 hounds, 2 of which have certainly found their voices and quite like the sound of them lol. Our female only barks at our cat now and again and gets a swipe from him when she starts.