Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Car advice

Hi folks, I'm looking for a wee bit advice. The car I have at the moment is a quite a jump up for my lad with his sore hips so I am on the search for an estate. I'm looking for something that has a very low sill at the back to they can almost step into. Any advice would be great, thanks.

Re: Car advice

Hi Ailsa,

I'll start with some estates that you don't want - anything made by VW, Audi or Skoda. They're great cars, but quite a jump up into them. Same with the Rover 75 and FIAT Stilo estates

The Vauxhall Vectra and Astra estates look like they have a low load lip, as do most of the bigger Volvo estates, the Mondeo estate and the Citreon C5 estate. If you're after an older car then the FIAT Marea Weekend has a unique rear arrangement - there's a conventional hatch, but also the lower part of the bumper folds down.

An alternative would be get something like a Citreon Berlingo, Renault Kangoo or FIAT Doblo and use the sliding side door for access.

Other options to consider are lifting your dog in and out of the car (be careful to do it properly as per the guide on the GRF website), or to get a ramp.

Happy hunting!

Hi Ailsa,

I have a Ford Mondeo Estate and its not that far from the ground for my two. Yogi manages a graceful step to get in it as he is a reasonably big greyhound but Nikki has a jump to get in as she is slightly smaller.

It is a great car, very reliable and the boot space is very generous for my two to lie in!!

If you wanted to see the car or dog test it, please let me know and we could arrange to meet or something?!

I hope you find something suitable.

Hi Ailsa

We shopped around for ages last year trying to find the best car for Ace as our Astra's boot seemed a bit small. We found that although some of the estates were big enough, the lip on the back would put Ace off. In the end we got a Citreon Berlingo. Ace gets in and out with no problem. We did have to get a sponge bed in the back to stop him sliding about, but there is loads of room for him and he is so comfy in there that sometimes when we get home he doesnt want to get out LOL!!

Not sure if thats any help

Karen, Pat and Ace

Hi Ailsa,
we have a Renault Kangoo and while there's plenty of space in the boot it is a bit of a step up. The boys jump in but Goldie is usually lifted in.
I have friends with english mastiffs that bought the Fiat Marea specifically because of the low boot and they were really pleased with it.

Michele

Steve,
You are such a goldmine of good advice on all sorts of topics! I can confirm that the Vauxhall Vectra estate has easy access for dogs and the space and headroom in the back of the later model are much more than the Astra, and probably only second to the Volvo.
It's my main criterion when buying a car - how many greyhounds can I get in the back?
Marion

Hi,
Not an estate car but def fab for the dogs is the Citroen Berlingo. Great car to run and drive aswell as being totally practical.
Susan xx

Hi folks, thanks to you all for taking the time to reply. I am now armed with my list and going to search Autotrader. Thanks again, will keep you posted. Ailsa xx

HI AILSA
DONT KNOW WHICH CAR WILL BE BEST FOR YOU
BUT YOU CAN GET FOLDED LIFTS CANNOT
THINK OF THE NAME BUT THEY MCAN
WALK UP IT JUST REMEMBERED ITS A RAMP
FOR DOGS TO GET IN A CAR.
HOPE THIS HELPS