Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Archie & Grace - the greyhounds formerly known as Flash & Clio!

Just thought I would give you a quick update on Archie & Grace (Flash & Clio in their former lives) now that we've had them for nearly 6 months.
After a few weeks of fairly subdued and fairly wary dogs I can now happily say that the pair of them are well on the way to being super contented hounds. I think we first realised they were making progress when Grace starting playing like a deranged dog in the hall one night. So funny! And then Archie joined in- pandemonium!
We now have our routine, with the most fantastic dog walker for when we're both working who takes them for hours at a time. There also seems to be an unofficial Archie and Grace fan club including our local park warden who drops off a weekly bag of treats for them.
I have to take my hat of to Jimmy & Celia for their choice of dogs. Its pretty fair to say they have been fantastic. Neither of them are aggressive to dogs of ANY shape or size...and we walk round the park with dogs of assorted sizes now that owners realise how good they are. (Squirrels are a different matter!).
We have had the odd hiccup - Grace has an ongoing problem with peeing due to separation anxiety (understandably), but its improving slowly but surely. We reckon once she's been dressed it will improve further.
The only other problem with Grace is that I had to ban her from my veg plot as she was eating the runner bean flowers and was stealing courgettes! Archie has shown more normal dietary preferences - especially for pigs ears when he turns into the amazing bouncing greyhound! We've also found a secure area where we can let them off literally two mins from the house. Grace is never that bothered and likes to stick close by, but Archie takes off like a dog possessed - absolutely brilliant!
I was laughing when I read the posts about barking greyhounds- Grace rarely barks, and looks surprised when she does. Archie on the other hand never shuts up. Going out? BARK! Dinner? BARK! Putting Shoes on? BARK! Dog barking on the telly? BARK BARK BARK!
And as for squirrels!
Saying that, we were in Pets at Home the other day (I'd forgotten about the rabbits in the foyer) and neither of them batted an eyelid or showed the slightest interest in the furry display!
Anyway, I could go on for ages, but suffice it to say that I think we're more than getting there, and that the dogs are improving each and every day. When we first got them Archie would come upstairs but then be frozen to the spot by the creaky floorboards at the top of the stair. Stock still and trembling like a leaf, we'd have to put his lead on to get him to move. Changed days - he now charges up and down the stairs launching himself of the beds.
So, thanks again to Jimmy and Celia. Our dogs are BRILLIANT!

Re: Archie & Grace - the greyhounds formerly known as Flash & Clio!

Hi,

Thanks for the update. I was at the kennels when Archie and Grace had been brought back in and it was awful seeing them so distraught. I'm really chuffed to bits for them that things have worked out so well. Keep us posted!

Karen

It's great to hear from you. Sounds like it's third time lucky or these two

Hi Lisa,
Thanks for the nice update on Archie and Grace. It's great to hear that they are doing well.
They deserved a nice mummy like you.
Give them big cuddles from us.
Celia and Jimmy.

I remember these 2 when they were at Union Farm, they were such lovely dogs, always great fun to play with. I'm so glad they have found such a great forever home. As Steve said, definitely sounds like 3rd time lucky