Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Persistent Barking

Hi,

Can anyone give me any advice on how to stop my greyhound persistently barking at other dogs when we approach them. I homed Oxo in July this year and he seems to fear other dogs when they approach him. As soon as he sees them in the distance he will stop in his tracks and as they get nearer he will start to bark. We also have a lurcher and we always take them out together. We have tried various methods of distraction techniques and have also tried ignoring him when he does this but we still encounter this small problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Gwen

Re: Persistent Barking

One of our last two found her voice and got to be bit of a nuisance with the neighbours. We got an Aboistop collar and it worked. The first refill was used within a week, subsequent refills lasted much longer as she learned the effect. Not sure if it will be any good when you're out on walks, and they're not the cheapest thing you'll ever find - take a look here http://www.dynavet.com/ie4net4/anglais/aboistop/spray.htm

This was suggested to us by our vet. I think it would be a good idea for you to call your vet and talk through the circumstances in which Oxo barks and see what they recommend

There is another option as well...I think cheaper then the one above...Maybe worthy of trying... http://www.petmeds.co.uk/p-7830-beaphar-calming-collar-for-dogs.aspx?=SCUK

Having lived for 2 years now with the lovely Bambi who enjoys a good bark at other dogs I would also say that time is a great healer on this one!! Bambi still has the occasional shout and jump about at other dogs but is far far far far better than she was when I first got her! I found that completely ignoring her was sbout the best method (if that was possible and I wasnt whirling about on the end of the lead!!lol) as well basically I find with Bambi that she doesnt listen to any shouted words in these circumstances - altho that may just be her!!lol I think there is also the bit about the m getting their confidence up after you first get them home as its all so new! Good Luck!! x

I hope it works out for you. I love the new pictures of Oxo on his holidays. He's gorgeous.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the suggestion of a calming collar. I have thought about this but I am not sure and would prefer to try alternative methods first as there appears to be a lot of controversy regarding the use of them. Your suggestion is appreciated though, thankyou.

Gwen

Hi Joan,

Oxo sounds just like Bambi hahahaha. Lets hope that time and patience will bring results. I can also relate to whirling around on the lead haha, I'm becoming quite an expert at that one!! Thanks for your reply it much appreciated.

Gwen

Hi Stan/Polish

I appreciate you sending me the link. Thankyou.

Gwen

Hi Agnes,

I'm glad you enjoyed looking at the pictures of Oxo. I'm so pleased we got him he's just a big darling.

Gwen

Am I right in thinking gwen that you are in the dundee area? Ive got a feeling that I heard that at sometime altho i may be wrong!! Bambi and I are in Broughty Ferry was thinking we might bump into u if my memory was working!!lol If so if you wanted to try a walk together see if that helped (or hindered!lol) then just give me a shout!

Hi Joan,

Yes your right, we are also in Broughty Ferry. It would be good to meet up sometime for a walk and see what happens haha. I'm on a spate of night shifts just now but I'm off on holiday week starting 15th November. If you fancy a walk sometime that week if you e-mail me your telephone number I will give you a call.

Look forward to meeting you and Bambi

Gwen

My computer doesnt seem to want to let me email you Gwen!! So my email is jonigirl@hotmail.co.uk if you stick me a message Ill then be able to email you back! Looking forward to potential future walks where hopefully Bambi will at last be able to make doggy friend or two!! By the way she is usually fine with dogs that are greyhounds or look like they are greyhounds (obviously Im still not sure by what means she makes that decision!!!lol)

HI GWEN
HAVEYOU TRIED A WATER PISTOL SQUIRT AT HIM
TO STOP HIM BARKING THEYM DONT LIKE WATER IN
THERE FACE OR GET A B OTTLE WITH STONES IN
AND SHAKE IT WHEN HE STARTS BARKING
MAY TAKE TIME TO STOP HIM BARKING BUT BE PATIENCE
WITH HIM HE WILL EVENTUALLY GET THE MESSAGE
DONT GIVE UP ON HIM

Hi Janice,

I've not yet tried the water pistol and bottle with stones in yet. A friend of mine actually suggested the bottle with stones in a couple of days ago too. I will give them a go and see what happens. Oxo is getting a little better - still a bit to go though but don't worry I've no intention of giving up on him I've a lot of patience and believe me he'l get fed up before I do hahaha. Thank you for your suggestions.

Gwen