Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
diazepam

Hi,
Just wondered whether anybody had any experience of giving their dogs diazepam? Archie has become a trembling wreck with fireworks. I've been using a DAP diffuser which hasn't had much effect on him, and I'm not looking forward to friday.
However I'm not convinced about using diazepam either?
Grace on the other hand doesn't bat an eyelid! Typical!

Re: diazepam

Hi,
Lisa I think you should ask the vet. In my opinion taking sedatives for a short time is a much better way to help him with his issues than to let him suffer from the firework noise. In the long run it could make more mental harm to him than taking the medicine for a few days.

Hi Stan,
That is what the vet has suggested. Just wondered if anybody else had used it and what the effect on the dog was? I've never had to use it on any of my animals before!

Dogs Trust have a very interesting factsheet on fireworks which mentions using diazepam. Worth a read.

Thanks Steve. We've been trying varying approaches, but poor old Archie was getting worse and worse. We ended up giving him one tablet tonight as it was getting really bad...what a difference within about half an hour! He's not zonked out, still up and about looking for food and treats and petting as normal, just not a quivering, salivating trembling wreck. Definitely a good move - and something to have as a last resort.