Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rawhide Dog Chews/Bones

Hi, I was wondering whether anyone has given their grey a large rawhide bone to chew. I have been opposed to them since one of my last dogs, a small cross collie choked on a bit of rawhide years ago. My darling Oxo is always looking for something to play or occupy himself with. We have tried playing with various types of soft toys and rubber toys but he only tries to rip them apart or eat the rubber deposits that he chews off. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Gwen

Re: Rawhide Dog Chews/Bones

I buy pigs ears or pig strips for my boy. He loves them and it keeps him occupied for a little while and helps his teeth.

Karen

hi Gwen,
i dont let my lot have any rawhide chews as one of mine almost chocked on a rawhide yrs ago,also a few month bk one gota pigs ear lodged in his throad-just as well i always supervise wen they had them in the past.I would strongly recommend the Kongs that you fill with the Paste-peanut butter or small biscuits,it keeps them amused for a wee bit,hope this helps amanda xxx

We have used rawhide chews for a long time so we were surprised to be told by our vet that they are not recommended. Apparently they do not digest when swallowed and can block the intestine, they can also get stuck in the throat. The vet recommended pigs ears, but even with those it's best to be around when they are eating them, as they too can get stuck in the throat, but at least they are digestable when swallowed.

Ye isnt it amazing as so many diff types of Rawhides for sale and alot are just not safe xx

Hi to everyone who has replied.

I appreciate all your advice. I have seen hard nylon bones which on the packaging says that they are recommended by a vet. Any further advice or comments would be appreciated.

Gwen x

Hi Gwen i have tried these with my lot unfortunetly not one of them looked at it twice waste of money but maybe your lot would enjoy let us know xxx

Hi Gwen,

Quincy really enjoys a pig's ear. Like the others have said though we always supervise him whilst having this incase he was too choke. However they are a tasty treat and great for their teeth. He also is partial to a denta stick. It is the only time we see him proper drooling whilst eating. They dont last long but keep him occupied for a short while. Hope this helps.

Karen

My previous dogs (non greyhounds) loved the nylabones but Bambi wont entertain them. She likes jumbones and she also likes denta sticks but generally anything that takes TOO long to eat she cant be bothered with!!lol I also would not give her rawhide due to a previous dog choking on it.

Cassie loves raw hide chews (the white ones) ... just out of interest what did you do when your dog choked on raw hide ... just in case it happens to us?

We've tried her on nylabones but she's not interested, she loves pigs ears and gets one every day but they don't really last long enough when she's in a chewing mood. She also likes kongs but only if we don't stuff them too full, then it's just too much like hard work.

Hi Pam,

It was a horrible experience. I did what I would do when a human chokes. I administered Five back slaps which didn't work then I carried out 5 stomach thrusts which thank god did work. I never want to go back there again!!

Hi Gwen

My puppies seem to love the nylon bones, we got a chicken and a bacon flavoured one 4 weeks ago and they are still intact, which is surprising as they have had a good chewing ! They are dearer than rubber toys but they only last a week in our house before they have been destroyed and are fit for the bin, so definitely the nylon ones are worth the extra money. Our dogs also love pigs ears/pork strips/dentistix/shoes/coffee tables/window sills, although I would not encourage any of the last 3