Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Do dogs help people affected by anxiety and depression?

Hi,
I have read a few articles on the role which dogs play in helping people with anxiety and depression disorders. I think that the greyhound as a loving, calm and pleasing dog could be ranked at the top of the breeds that might help people overcome their mental issues. I wonder what greyhound owners think about it. Maybe it would help more greyhounds to find loving homes if the news would be spread wider and used as an asset of having the greyhound as a pet? Maybe popularising greyhounds as dogs visiting people in care homes, residential home for young people with learning difficulties or even mental wards would help with promoting the breed that is mainly associated with races by most of the British population.

Re: Do dogs help people affected by anxiety and depression?

I know two greyhounds who are registered Therapets and visit people in hospitals and care homes where they are very popular. I used to suffer depression but havent at all since I was adopted by my first hound some eight years ago. Even when I lost my first hound at only 7 to bone cancer, then two old hounds in quick succession this year, my remaining hounds were the greatest comfort, also knowing that my absent friends had all my love and lots of comfort in their final years was the greatest help, and there are always more who need a loving home. To me the greatest tribute to those hounds who ahve departed is to give another a comfy space on a couch. There is no doubt that greyhounds are of immense help in alleviating depression, provided of course that the person is an animal lover to begin with, so that the animal's needs are prime importance. I do suspect that some cases of animal neglect arise when owners become seriously depressed and unable to cope.

I think you only have to look at the joy that anyone gets from owning a greyhound (or any pet really I suppose!lol) to see that there is potential for greyhounds to help people experiencing difficulties with their mental health. I work in mental health and have often half joked that a project matching greyhounds and people would be a fab thing...although that IS what Celia and Jimmy do anyway, and I dont think anyone would say that, despite the times when things get rough - illness or loss of a pet - that owning a grey has done anything but help their own mental wellbeing. I agree with the previous point though that the dog's wellbeing has to be paramount as there are times when people I work with would not be able to properly care for a dog, which is an issue in itself as projects which look after people's dogs if they are admitted to hospital for example are few and far between and if folk don't have the money to kennel the dog then this can be very problematic as the dog may have to be given away and this certainly does not help the person's mental wellbeing!!

I personally think it would be very useful to get in touch with some psychiatrists or psychologists who deal with people having such problems and to suggest them the possibility of doing some volunteering by their patients (I mean mild cases of mental problems). That would encourage them step by step for taking on a regular job. There are so many people who do not work because of social fears and low self esteem. That would be a fantastic thing to combine two-in-one (a good therapy with getting new volunteers). I do not think that everyone suits the role but this should be considered by their guardians (psychologists or psychiatrist). They would be thoroughly selected and encouraged by them. There are so many people who need to get over their things from the past i.e. the death of their loved ones, loosing a job etc. I personally came to England and started to work with young autistic people to get over the death of my parents. In Poland I did a very stressful office job, quite well paid but I realised that money is not what I needed to be happier. I think it really works. I DO NOT THINK THEY SHOULD ADOPT A DOG but through volunteering they might start a new, more active life. That would help them and the dogs as well.

Sorry about my English if I can not express myself clearly enough

stan/Polish
Sorry about my English if I can not express myself clearly enough

Stan, you have absolutely no need to apologise for your English - your posts are very well written, all the more impressive given that this is a second language for you.

As for your original question, I agree whole heartedly with what FN and Joan have said.

Steve, thanks for your appreciation. I have been here for 2 years so it is not long enough to feel confident when writing or speaking English. I have still been struggling with all the accents around

I also work in mental health and there appears to be a lot of evidence to suggest that animals in general may help in the process of recovery for people experiencing mental health problems.

However, it is also important to research this evidence, as evidence comes in many shapes and forms and very often research findings can be flawed and open to distortion and it is important to read articles critically to ensure credibility of the findings.

I also strongly agree with Joan and others that the animals welfare has to be paramount in these situations. There are times when people become extremely unwell due to the acute stages of illness and at these times very often the person has no insight into their illness which can be detrimental to the wellbeing of the animal. During an acute phase they may require hospital admission, often for a long period of time. Some people are unable to see their pets at this time which may result in the delay of the recovery process due to the affect of suffering loss.

I would also like to mention that I am not against pet therapy or therapets in any way as the work carried out by the therapets can achieve remarkable results for many. However,I would like to mention that people are all individuals and what may work for some people may not work for others.

Hello Stan, I agree with Steve there is absolutely no reason to apologise for your english. You express yourself very well and I enjoy reading your posts.

Hi Joan,

I have not forgotten to contact you regarding walks with Bambi. I have tried phoning you a couple of times but no answer. I will keep trying though and hopefully we can talk soon.

No worries Gwen we will catch each other at some point!

Gwen, thank you very much for your nice opinion on my command of English. I have still been learning. The more I learn the more I get aware of how much more I still need to learn:-)

I totally agree with all of you that the wellbeing of dogs is paramount. Nevertheless I am still a strong believer that it is possible to combine successful, useful volunteering with helping people having problems with social inclusion, experiencing bereavement etc. Some of the people seek help and hope by being advised and supervised by psychologists or even psychiatrists. They (experts) should recommend people who are able to do it. These people need some motivation, understanding and encouragement to come back to the normal, happy world. Through experiencing satisfaction given by volunteering it would be much easier for them to overcome their predicament. Obviously I mean the people who are sane enough to take on this responsibility and willing to do it even on a regular basis. Who knows it might work... I have never suggested adoption but it could also be possible in the future. Working with animals is very rewarding and increasing self-esteem because animals do not prejudge. They accept people as they are, showing love and affection.
PS.
This morning when driving to work I saw a guy, walking 4 greyhounds at a time. The dogs were behaving extremely well! It was a wonderful view!

I think thats what I was trying to say, Stan, agreeing that greyhounds would be the very best at helping people. I think that having the focus in life of helping and caring for animals who have often suffered badly, and trying to save more is part of the whole thing of taking the focus off your own perceived problems and looking outward instead of inward. Also the contact with hound and with other greyhound people, and add to that the softness, the laughs, the love, its all part of the helping process. Of course not everyone would benefit, and some would not be suitable but I think you have a sound idea in providing volunteer opportunities for many people who would benefit. It just needs some care that the wrong people werent involved, or were adequatley supervised, for the hounds sake. Some people can in fact look after animals perfectly well while being poor at coping with other aspects of life, and I have known folk with depression who have had a greyhound and probably been helped by the relationship with their hound, and for whom these have probably been the ideal pet. I think it depends very much on the person, and on the nature and degree of ill-health, depression or otherwise. Well worht looking into.

Thank you for your comment fn. I think your post includes everything I wanted to say. I think we should have more wise psychologists to be aware of such possibilities. I do have a few friends who are psychologists in Poland and sometimes I think the range of instruments they use when working with (on) their patients are very limited and convenient for themselves. I do not intend to say that all psychologists are like that but maybe some of them need some encouragement to make an effort and to take their patients somewhere outside to show them the possibilities of solving their problems through work and social inclusion, not limiting their job only to their consulting rooms. They should mainly work for the good of their patients, not only to fill up their pockets with money. Hopefully the good psychologists will not take it as an offence.
As I have mentioned before I work with autistic people and often support them to the doctors or psychologists. I often have the impression they just want to get rid of them because they can not stand up for themselves. That is why I find my role to advocate the vulnerable even if it might be difficult at times as English is not my first language.
I personally experienced a nasty treatment from a doctor in the hospital when I went for advice having a temperature of 40C. At first I was told off for coming there and then I had to tell the doctor off straightaway making her aware that she was paid well enough at least not to be rude to the patients. It worked! Then I got a proper check-up in a nice atmosphere Well, that is life...

No offense meant by this post to any decent doctors out there....but...I think that psychiatrists rather than psychologists are probably the biggest offenders when it comes to not being open to ideas that look holistically at an individual's mental wellbeing rather than simply focussing on the illness. Recent research have indicated that a lot of the things previously mentioned here are actively positive in terms of recovery such as reducing social isolation and green space (getting outdoors) and so it makes logical sense that greyhound ownership has great potential in improving mental wellbeing. It can be difficult to get long held medical views to change but thankfully there are some good doctors out there who will take notice of any potential help and support for their patients and put these into practice - as I am famous for repeatedly saying - Its not rocket science!!