Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
foreign volunteers unwelcomed?

A week ago I emailed one of the Greyhounds Trust in North Yorkshire expressing my willingness of help in my spare time. On their website they were looking for volunteers...So far I have not received any response from them. I would at least expect them to say "yes" or "no". Maybe it is all about my being a foreigner but good manners usually tell people to email back even if they do not want someone. I can understand that some people do not like foreigners but anyway I am a bit disappointed and disgusted... They should have answered me even saying "no". I would have understood it.

Re: foreign volunteers unwelcomed?

Ye your right there Manners dont cost you a thing a YES or a NO would have been the least they could have done, maybe theyre very busy or some reasonable explanation will be sent to you xxx

Hi, Stan, Sorry to hear you feel let down like this. I dont think nationality would come into things with most rescues who would all love more volunteers. GRWE would welcome you with open arms if they have a branch near enough to you. I suspect the rescue you have contacted is manned solely by volunteers who are giving their spare time to administer things and probably also have their own hounds and fosters to look after, and families and jobs as well. Like all volunteers they will probably be very busy at present as this is a major fundraising time, and is busy for everyone anyway with festive arrangements. Sometimes it can take time before someone can reply to a contact. When I am asked to do a homecheck, it can often be several days before I have time to make contact with the prospective adopters, and then another week or two before I can go to see them. Please dont feel put off, your help will be invaluable to the rescue and more importantly to the hounds who need every bit of help they can get. Good luck.

Hi Stan,
Purely and simply you would be extremely welcome as a volunteer at GRF. You are most welcome anytime.
Celia and Jimmy.

Thanks to all of you. I can promise that if I am in Scotland I will appear in Celia's and Jimmy's kennels to do some volunteering. I am still impressed by all your dedication to greyhounds.

Stan,
Even if you don't come to volunteer you must arrange a visit to our kennels. Indeed why not come up for our dog show at the beginning of May. Watch the forum for updates in the new year.
We hope that you hear form the other rescue centre soon about volunteering but be patient as it could even be down to the bad weather that you have not heard anything yet.
We must say that your English is very good and we always enjoy reading your posts on the forum.
Regards
George & Morag
and the Royal Hounds, Billy & Lassie

George & Morag
and the Royal Hounds, Billy & Lassie,
Thank you very much for your good word on my English and the invitation to visit the kennels. I would anyway be happy to do some work over there as well. Any work I like makes me relaxed and sometimes when on holiday I prefer doing something useful to relaxing and doing nothing. Physical exercise is always good

Well, well...I have not received any email from the rescue. No worries, such things simply happen