Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
limping

Arden has been having terrible trouble in the snow with one pad being rubbed raw and another going the same way. Although not limping he has made it clear that snow is not his favourite thing. Still a very kind lady with a fox terrier has loaned us some natty silver dog booties so am hoping these will help. Have given one a trial run in the house Arden not impressed (we nearly died trying not to laugh, think ministry of silly walks) but I think he will manage so hopefully his paws will improve.

Cilla as ever seems to be taking it all in her stride I think she is made of sterner stuff!!

Hope Bambi can think of more tricks to keep those walks short!

Re: limping

OOps meant to put this with the other posts. This is why I rarely do this!

Quincy absolutely hates the snow. We literally had to lift him out the door this morning and quickly close the door behind him. He goes between limping sitting down in it or lying down. He also hates putting his bum anywhere near the snow to do his business. Hes had a dickie tummy since last night so its been ten times worse. Im glad its not just quincy that hates it.

Karen

Although Im sorry to hear that others are also struggling in the snow it is nice to know that im not the only one!! Thankfully Bambi doesnt seem to have any raw areas on her paws and more than likely is just fed up of it like the rest of us!!If I had to move to having booties on her as well as her coat and snood it would start to take longer to get her ready to go out than I could actually get her to stay out and walk for!!lol Poor Arden and his funny walks tho bless his wee soul!!
After slagging off my pal for getting a wee bichon fris it has been a bit embarrassing to have to admit that my "proper dog" won't walk in the snow while hers is happily jumping about up to his nose in it!!lol

Hi Guys,
The problem is possibly a combination of uncomfortably cold temperature and salt. The salt can irritate a greyhounds pad.
Mind you, you are probably correct - the wimps are just having you on.
Celia and Jimmy.

Celia and Jimmy.
Hi Guys,
The problem is possibly a combination of uncomfortably cold temperature and salt. The salt can irritate a greyhounds pad.
Mind you, you are probably correct - the wimps are just having you on.
Celia and Jimmy.

Agreed - seen a few dogs struggling with salt in their paws, then seemingly right as rain when they walk on fresh snow and clear it out.

Yeah I have taken to bathing his paws in warm water when we get in hehe I think he has me wrapped round his little finger. He is one pampered pooch .

Karen

Arden has been out in his lovely silver booties this morning and after a variety of wonderful silly walks in the house which had me worried that he would never be able to stand upright on the snow he managed perfectly. Almost as though he had been trying it on!

I have sent a pic to post your pics of Arden trying and failing to look dignified in booties.

I think Celia and Jimmy are probably right about the salt, as my 3 are all fine but don't walk on roads. Another caveat for those who can let their greyhounds off lead - Bryn was having a rare gallop down the farm track and tried putting his 'brakes' on as normal before he got to us but skidded right into my wee blind lurcher, Dylan. No damage done fortunately but potentially dangerous, and poor Dilly got such a fright!

Well Bambi was fine last nights walk (did a good impression of a mountain goat climbing on piles of snow!lol) and was fine on this afternoons walk. Now I did take a different route on these walks where there may indeed have been less salt (neighbours up the other end of my street seem to have done something to their snow thich I now suspect involved salt so we didnt go along there!)...however, the altered route was also shorter so it may have been a combination of the two that Bambi was happier with!!

Hope Arden is getting on well with his bootees! I fell in love with him ages ago but our Shandy is such a big Alpha Male they'd never get on so we adopted another girlie for Shandy to boss about instead!

A woman after my own heart Sally as I too fell in love with Arden!! When I met him he seemed huge but nowadays he dont seem so big!!lol Maybe we should set up an Arden fan club for him (and his little booties!!)lol x

Hey Joan - nice idea. I can't resist a tall dark handsome man! (I hope Shandy doesn't read this though as he's my big baby boy)

Ha ha absolutely!! Im ok Ive only got Bambi to worry about and she certainly wouldnt worry about being overshadowed by a boy!!lol

Well, to be honest, Nell rules the roost but she lets Shandy think he does (I wish I could learn that trick....)

I have had labradors and beagles and they all did this limping in snowy weather and it turned out to be because they got grit/salt caught in their pads where people had put this on pavements to avoid slipping. Our beagle ended up with severe eczema on his front paws because of it and a hefty vet's bill ensued. Our greyhound Ruby limps too, following snowy/icy walks and I do what I did with the other dogs - get a warm, damp cloth and clean in-between her pads after every walk and then dry thoroughly.
Hope this helps.