Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Is it possible to adopt a dog when having a full time job?

I am just wondering how to manage having a dog when working full time. I think it is easier for a family consisting of a few members. Is it possible for a single person to manage this? Any remarks and tips are welcome. It might be useful for future dog owners if you share your own views and experience. Thanks.

Re: Is it possible to adopt a dog when having a full time job?

Stan, I am on my own and had a dog when I was working. I was able to do this because I lived near my place of work and walked the dog every lunchtime. I also always had a mature or older dog (from rescue centres), not a puppy! Another essential was a kind, dog-loving neighbour who took the dog out if I couldn't get home in the middle of the day. However, families where both adults work probably have just the same issues as a single person.

I work 3 days a week and have one other day working from home. I have a dog walker who comes in mid morning and walks Ash. My neighbour comes in the afternoon and lets Ash out to sunbathe or to just have a bit of a run in the garden.

When we originally got Ash (from another rescue centre, before I'd heard of GRF, but Jimmy has forgiven me) I explained my situation and they picked a dog for me which they thought would be settled and happy sleeping while I was at work. In fact, even on my work at home days, Ash spends the whole day in her bed in another room. So I think it all depends on the dog.

I would love to get another dog (specifically Sophie), but I have to pay around £25 per week for the dog walker, and with insurance costs on top, I'm not sure we can afford it right now. The other dog would also have to fit into our situation - a lot of dogs would not be able to do this.

I have owned a greyhound for over 2 years now and previous to that had other rescue dogs for 15+ years and have worked full time all of that time. The secret is a)getting the right dog and b) taking the time to allow that dog to adjust to the routine that they will have. Dogs like routine and Bambi especially likes to know what is going to happen when! At times when I am at home when Im not supposed to be I sometimes almost feel I am putting Bambi out by being there!!lol Obviously consideration has to be given to the dog in terms of if you have a job that may mean you have to work late at times or has very long hours but I feel that if you give the time and commitment to the dog at the times when you are not at work and in the initial stages of settling a new dog in it can work very well. I took time off to settle Bambi in which was great but a word of caution as spending all the time with the dog initially will set that precident so leaving the dog for a bit allows it to get used to being alone (I spent a good few tense hours wandering around supermarkets to see how Bambi got on!!lol) If you have 2 dogs it may be easier as they then have each other for company...

I've had greyhounds for about 8 years now, numbering anywhere from one to seven, I live alone, currently wih four hounds of my own, and a long term foster. (The house is a large old farmhouse so they have plenty space). I have worked full-time all that time, done volunteer work regularly, and almost completed an open university degree. My hounds are very happy and well-behaved and I find they are happiest when they have other hounds as company than being a single dog. I have a wonderful dogwalker who takes them out every lunchtime and gives them all a cuddle - I have a sizeable exercise paddock where they can have a midday run. I also get up at 5am so I have time to give the younger dogs an hours walking each morning and the older ones a 30 minutes wander. They also get a good run if they feel like it. Then they get up to an hour walking at night. I agree it depends on the dogs and your particular circumstances, but for anyone who really wants a dog, a greyhound is ideal if you work as they are so lazy and undemanding, but I do beleive most hounds prefer company so would do better in twos if you are out a lot. I do get to work at home sometimes which is best of all as I hate to be away from my dogs, but I also find they have their routine and almost seem to find me in the way when I work at home.