Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fostering of TC

Hi guys

Today we fostered little TC from Celia & Jimmy and we plan to have her over the Xmas/New Year period.

This gives TC a little Xmas break away from the kennels and as we have her "I need a home" jacket there is also the chance someone spots us on a walk and offers her her 'forever home'. At the very least we will be able to let J & C know how she is in the home environment, living with other dogs and how she reacts to other dogs on walks.

I'm going to try and get on here every day/2 days to update you all on how the little girl is getting on; so here goes

Day 1.

So far TC has been a little gem! Around our 3 (Forth, Jack & Minnie) she has been very very submissive and has not shown even the slightest bit of aggression towards them. She respects this is their home and although she does interact with them she is not being intrusive in anyway.

Forth did bark at her a little bit but she simply ignored him (as Jack & Minnie usually do!!) and he got bored and decided it would be easier to accept the fact she is here!

So far there has been no accidents in the house, she has peed and pooped in the garden/on walk without any bother.

We nipped out to Asda in the evening and decided she would come with us and not be left with the other 3 (just in case). We left her in the car and I checked on her every 5-10 mins and every time I went back she was patiently sitting waiting for us, no barking, whinging or anything.

In the house she has been inquisitive without ever looking likely to chew or destroy anything (I am hoping Minnie is taking notes but its unlikely!!) and when we tell her she simply goes to her bed.

On the walk she was a bit pully but as this is all new to her I wouldn't expect anything else in the 1st few days. We passed a dog on the walk and she didnt flinch a muscle, again its early days but this is certainly positive.

So far she is looking like the ideal pet for someone. Low energy but gets excited if you speak/pat her, but not over excited.

Lets hope she continues in the same vain in the next week or two

Re: Fostering of TC

Forgot to mention that after an initial 'Bambi on ice' impression she has now mastered the Laminated floor! Clever little girl, took her less than 5 minutes. Also has not tried to jump on the sofa (something the other 3 did within 30 seconds of entering the house for the first time!!)

Day 2

Started well. No accidents in the house, all toilet activities have been outside, this is looking very good for whoever takes this little one into their home.

She was still a bit pully on her first walk of the day but on the 2nd she was much more settled, I guess she is getting used to the big wide world she has never seen before. Children on sledges seem to confuse her; she has no idea what on earth these kids are up to and stood looking very puzzled at them! She has now seen plenty of dogs on her walks (including a crazy little fluffy thing!) and so far there has been zero interest from little TC, so far so good on this score. Even when Jack gets upset at anything that is not a greyhound TC does not react.

She discovered some of Minnie's toys today (they are really for all 3 of our lot but the boys prefer sleeping to playing!) and took great pleasure in biting and pulling them apart. She only did this when I gave toy to her, so far she has not gone and looked for something to destroy on her own, again I would be confident she is not another Minnie in disguise (i.e. anything that can be moved has the potential to be destroyed!!).

She has been an absolute angel so far in the house and I'm pleased to say she appears to be settling into the home environment excellently and looks to have the makings of a lovely pet greyhound. She loves getting attention from us but is equally happy to lie on her bed on her own, she is certainly not a needy dog who constantly strives for attention (unlike Jack & Minnie!)

Just need to find her a forever home.....

Well done guys. Your input will well nigh rehome the little girl. On her behalf, we thank you for taking the time to help her into a good home.
Celia and Jimmy.

Aw this is so lovely to hear. These gorgeous, lovable, fabulous dogs all deserve their forever homes. Great to read the updates as to how TC is adjusting to a home enviroment & I bet each day she'll blossom just that wee bit more

Our pleasure.

Lyndsey just gave her a brush, teeth clean & ear clean. Once again she was more than happy to sit there and take it. Very placid little girl and she thoroughly enjoyed getting brushed.

Everything has looked great so far! It is nice to hear she has been doing so well! Has she seen any cats yet? If yes, what was her reaction to them like?

Hi Stan

Surprisingly no cats yet! I guess the little blighters must be keeping warm inside in this cold snap! It will be a good test for her as our 3 HATE cats so will be interesting to see how TC reacts. We did take her up to pets at home and she payed little to no attention to the rabbits in their cages.

Gut feeling is she will be interested by a cat but I would be surprised if she went crazy at a cat. I'm sure we will find out soon enough....

Hi,
I am sure that TC is a real lady! Anyway as far as cats are concerned once I saw a cat sorting out a big aggressive dog... I was so surprised at how he did it! He became twofold bigger( he was very big anyway) and attacked the dog wacking him straightaway in the nose. The dog had no chance to even attack him first and seemed to be shocked! I am not saying it is a good way of introducing dogs to cats as the scratches may cause infection. Anyway there are brave cats who can cope with dogs.
So far TC has been an angel I think the future owner will have a beautiful, good mannered, loyal and loving pet friend.

Hi everyone

Just a quick post to say TC has had a great Christmas Day

She is starting to show her playful side a bit now that she is more familiar with the home environment but still remaining on her best behaviour; amazingly we have not had to discipline her once!

She is yet to master the stairs although she is getting braver, today she managed 5 before deciding it best to turn back. We have 5 steps in the back garden that she has no problem with so hopefully it won't be long before she masters the inside stairs.

We'll be back again tomorrow with a proper update.

Hope you all had a great Xmas day

Sounds like you're doing a great job with her. I've got a tenner that says this 'fostering' ends up with you keeping her!

So far (still) so good from young TC.

We took her with us when we went to drop presents off at our friends house on Xmas Eve and she was no problem at all in the unfamiliar surroundings. No accidents, no causing trouble and no whinging. She had a little sniff about and did at one point pick up a toy monkey that belonged to the couples 2yo but as soon as we said 'drop it' she did. She loved the attention she was getting and settled down so quickly she even had a 10 minute snooze in the living room. It was only a short 10 minute drive from our house but she was no problem in the car (she seems to enjoy all car trips).

She has settled down very well on the walks and is yet to show any aggression towards other dogs. She does get a bit 'bouncy' when there is another dog around if it happens to be running about or appearing to be unsettled but I would say that's something that would pass the more she gets used to her walks.

She is really starting to show her fun/lively side and is starting to come over to us more and more to gets hugs. Again this is not in the Minnie 'ME ME ME ME, you MUST pay attention to ME' style but more of a 'hello how are you' tail wagging sort of manner.

She does suffer a little from separation anxiety as she whinges a little when we leave her in the room to either go out or go upstairs but all our previous 4 have done this at the start so I don't see this as a problem, just something to work on and naturally, over time, she will improve and settle.

We left her in the house for an hour and a half today (TC n Forth downstairs, Jack and Minnie upstairs) and this was the longest we had been away since we had her. When we came back she had ripped the TV magazine a little but apart from that everything was A.O.K (it could be she just doesnt like the new Dr WHO who was on front of the magazine?!?) This is the first time she has really done anything wrong but I would be confident in saying it's linked to her separation anxiety and again this is something that could easily be resolved over time.

So far she had not had a toilet accident in the house and I would say she is pretty much house trained. She seems to naturally know her boundaries after an initial little smell around and also responds well to our commands. I have to admit I was expecting a couple of toilet accidents but I am very pleased to say there has been nothing.

She is also now a dab hand on the laminated flooring, not a problem in the slightest.

She is still submissive around the other 3 although she does not let them walk all over her. Today she was sleeping in a corner of the sofa and Forth decided he wanted the same spot. When this happens Forth generally tries to force/bully his way in (usually with little to no success as Minnie n Jack have sussed him!) and this time he decided to simply sit on TC; she barked at him, he left with tail between legs and problem was solved. No aggression from the little girl just a short sharp 'get away' bark and Forth loses another mini battle! Lovely little girl but one who stands up for herself without being aggressive

Remember and contact Jimmy & Celia if you think you could offer little TC her forever home

Steve

I won't lie it's going to be very difficult letting her go but we would hope to fosters other in the future to help J & C so gotta remain strong and find a home for little TC...

p.s. Minnie's little tartan jacket still lives on despite numerous attempts from her to bite through it!!

Not much to report on the TC front.

She is still being an excellent little Greyhound, still no house accidents, still no dog aggression and is settling into her walks just fine. She is starting to respond well to our commands around the house and although she has started picking up objects in a inquisitive manner she soon drops them when we tell her.

Not quite mastered the inside stairs yet but she wants to and I'm confident she will get them in time.

Still has a bit of separation anxiety but that’s not something that disappears overnight so its a case of working on it over time.

We introduced her to the full length mirrored cupboard doors and she was just a tad confused! Her reaction when she saw herself/other dog in the mirror was to wag her tail in joy but when that other dog KEPT staring back at her right in the eye (as mirrors do!!) she gave a tiny little growl. She then spun around looked in mirror again and started wagging her tail!! Very confusing for the little one but quite funny for us

Thanks for your excellent updates guys.
Celia and Jimmy.

I am just wondering if anyone asked about TC when she was being walked? I know she wears a coat saying "give me a home" when she is walked. This is one of the ways of finding a new home. Does it work in practice? I can not imagine that people are so indifferent...I am convinced TC is a great ambassador of all retired greyhounds, showing good manners, balanced behaviour, good looks, etc.

Stan

A few people have stopped to speak to us but I guess you really need the right people at the right time for her to get a home that way. People generally stop and speak to the dogs when we are out walking, Minnie’s cuteness and friendliness is usually the talking point (and then she jumps up and licks their face and they fall more in love with her, she knows all the tricks!!). We are making sure that people are aware that TC is our foster dog and we always wangle the conversation round to her. Even if people only see the 'I need a home' jacket in passing it will hopefully plant the seed in their mind, if not for TC for another Grey.

On a side note TC is turning into a brilliant walker. The pulling has gone and she now settles straight into her walk. Still loves looking up peoples garden paths but maybe she's just a nosy female

She looks and sounds a real sweetie. I am looking for a companion for my very lazy boxer. He lost his mate a couple of years ago. Please read my post on her looking to adopt.
Sue

Hi Sue

Obviously the final decision would rest with Jimmy & Celia and TC has never been tested in a home with other non-greyhound dogs (as far as I'm aware) but my gut feeling is that if your own dog didn't show any aggression towards TC then she wouldn't show any aggression towards him.

Now that she has been with us for a week she is coming out of her shell more and more every day and she will certainly give back all your love and more, she is a very loveable little girl.

On our walks she has been 'interested' in other dogs but as yet no aggression. If the other dog is running about then she will get a little bouncy but that’s about it.

The best thing to do would be to contact Jimmy & Celia and talk to them in more detail but what I can say is TC would take very little house training; she walks very well when she knows her routine and she picks up commands very well. ..and of course she is fun, loving and loves company

She may react different when put in close company to another breed of dog but we wouldn't know that until we tried. (again my gut feeling is she would be fine )

**TC Update**

She just climbed the stairs!!

I have to say she made it look very very easy!

Had to carry her back down again but at least she can now go up them

Next stage is to get up them in less than a second - Minnie style!!!

**TC Update II**

She just climbed DOWN the stairs!!

Superb from the little one. Not a second thought this time. Jack went down first then me and TC followed, no panic at all from the girl.

She is getting good

Hi everyone

TC update - She is still doing great.

Her seperation anxiety is 'slowly' getting better but she does still whinge. Where before she was whinging after 2 or 3 mins of us leaving the room she is now taking up 30 mins to an hour before she starts to whinge. We have been 'testing' her by leaving her downstairs with the other 3 whilst we go upstairs and there has been times we have not come down for well over an hour an there hasnt been a peep from the little one. She is getting there

She does have a huge fear of fireworks however. We took her for a walk on Sunday evening and for some reason there were a bunch of fireworks going off in someones garden. She really did panic and the poor little thing was trembling terribly. She basically pulled us all the way home.

Obviously this is something her new family will have to be aware of. It may indeed be the first time she has ever heard such a noise so possibly she may get used to it in time.

Forgot to mention she has now also mastered the 'jumping into boot of car' skill!!

Yay! No more lifting her into the car! As usual she makes it look easy

Hi everyone

Just to let you know we will be returning little TC to the kennels on Sunday so please please please if you are thinking of getting a grey to add to your family then please make her your first stop.

She settles into the family home very well and with a little direction from you she is no bother at all.

She does still follow us around the house but I think it's because she is still super intrigued with everything that is going on. She even loves watching us do the dishes, she seems amazed by it!

Her separation anxiety gets better by the day which is a good sign for the future, these things take time but it’s all about her settling into the environment and learning your routine.

If you visit the kennels please check in on little TC, she has a wonderful temperament and all the love in the world to give you

TC now happily rehomed, thanks to the good work of Ben and Lynsey.
You've got a wonderful home for the little girl.
Tremendous work, thank you.
Celia and Jimmy and TC.

Brilliant Brilliant news!!

I hope the little one is very happy in her new home.

Great news!