Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I've heard...

That GRF are longer home checking, I just heard of someone who came for a visit and walked out with a dog, no homecheck or anything, please please don't cut corners its not worth it, god I'm only praying that the dog was neutered/spayed, totally crap at racing and no longer in any danger of the folk who will do anything to get a dog on the cheap :(7

Re: I've heard...

Och I've just been informed it was a pup, god I hope they are safe and aren't used to breed from :(

please home cheak have you read the papers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-12099765

Hi- you may be referring to us who collected Gypsy today. We didn't have a home check but did show photos of where we live and had a big discussion with Celia and the foster parent of the pup. We have no intention of breeding and are wanting a house pet only. She is already much loved and has been settling in well. We look forward to our follow-up visit in a month where doubtless we will have lots of questions and happy stories.

Hope that helps to smooth your concerns.

Best wishes

Hi " concerned " - since you do not know the circumstances involved, how dare you criticise the work of another rescue? We go to extreme pains to ensure that our dogs are safely rehomed. If you read our adoption process you will see our requirements.
It is always nice to know who is sniping at you. My name is Jimmy and everyone knows who I am. I do not hide behind a pseudonym. We are sorry that you missed your Tuesday appointment. We had a puppy, fostered with cats and therefore suitable to be rehomed with cats.
We wish that the very nice family and their children have a long and happy life with their new family member that they were cuddling. We look forward to meeting them again with our forthcoming follow up visit.

Concerned, I am more than 100% sure that Celia and Jimmy perfectly know what they do and are aware of any dangers connected with rehoming dogs. On the other hand it is easy to make your house look spotless when expecting a homecheck. That is not at all a guarantee that dogs are going to the right homes. Sometimes long talks leading to getting to know the real personality of the future owners give you more information than making a homecheck. I am convinced that Jimmy and Celia exactly know the way how to talk with people expressing their willingness to adopt a dog.

So all you need is a photograph of where you live? Well where I live is totally unsuitable for a greyhound to live, but I'm sure I can get a photograph of somewhere suitable

A spotless house doesn't mean a happy house, but a house that is obviously a loving home will shine through from the minute you walk through the door at a homecheck

also concerned...I think you overrate your psychological skills how to differentiate between the right and wrong home atmosphere. People might be better actors than you are a psychologist... Please, do not critisise if you do know nothing (and probably have no experience) about rehoming dogs.

Stan, never ever assume

Well, if you are really as good as you are saying, please do not waste your talent and start cooperating with the GRF. You would be a great help to them. That would be really appreciated by Jimmy and Celia.

I already co-operate fully in the rehoming of ex racing greyhounds but alas time only allows me to do so much. I am very proud of what I do and would never ever be associated with a rescue that doesn't do homechecks before a hound is handed over

Firstly we would like to wish Molly and her family very happy times ahead with their new and loved family member. Thank you for taking her into your lives and your home. Sorry that you have got into a war of words over a missed re-homing by another rescue organisation.

Unfortunately this is an open forum and it gets abused sometimes, you can see for yourself it is usually a friendly bunch on here.
We will look forward to seeing your family and Gypsy (Ivy) back at Baltree for a visit.

Jimmy and Celia You do a great and wonderful job with the resources that you have and with over 430ish happily re-homed hounds speaks for its self.

"Concerned" If you behave like this on your own website would the administrators not bar you from the forum? Or are you an administrator? It must be sour grapes on missing out on a possible re-homing!

Well said Jimmy how dare someone accuse you and GRF without knowing the true facts.

also concerned...Your comments sound very detrimental to what the GRF does. I am sure you have no evidence to confirm that the rescue you cooperate with is any better than the GRF. Instead of critisising you should be happy that another greyhound has found a loving home. That is going to be checked anyway by the GRF. It is over my head that instead of cooperating for the good of retired greyhounds there are bodies that want to compete in this field. I find it very sad. This proves that people put their personal ambitions over the good of the dogs, which seems to be totally out of place in this case. Anyway if you keep critisising that would be nice to know the name of the adversary. Not mentioning that it is out of good manner to keep yourself anonymous.

Everything GRF does is in the best interests of the dogs. Everything. To our anonymous posters, hiding behind pseudonyms and random hotmail email addresses - "concerned" and "also concerned" need not be concerned, and if they took the time to see the work that GRF do they would know this.

And if you do not wish to be associated with GRF that is your choice - keep off our forum spilling your poison. It does nothing for the dogs, and they matter more than your egos.

Im not posting under any false name or under any false pretense and im not posting because of 'sour grapes' as has been previously accused, as a vetted home is a good home for a hound not matter where the source or the outcome.
I am posting as I am deeply concerned about a greyhound puppy being homed without a homecheck.
Im not into politics of what rescue says what or whos trying to get one over on another, at the end of the day we are supposed to be all in it for the same aim, rescuing and 'responsibly' rehoming these gentle and loving animals.
The repsonsible part , for me anyway, is at minumum having a home visit with the potential owner and not just having a conversation with someone and taking their word for it over their lifestyle and home location and security of gardens etc.
as has been said before, photos can be taken of anywhere, even downloaded from the internetand passed off as your own house.
I would have thought better of celia and Jimmy who, by all intense and purposes, are generally very strict as to where they home to even at the loss of a homing, so this particluar way of homing is very confusing for me and doesnt make any sense.
I really hope that your standards arent slipping in the wrong places and i genuinely hope that this isnt the start of panic homing on GRFs part as its only putting the hounds at risk.

I can understand people on this forun defendng Jimmy and Celia, i can, but if you all think about it seriously, are you comfortable with a puppy being homed to someone, who only turned up one day, with a 'photo' of where they lived and not have a homecheck? I doubt anyones conscious would be happy with that.

I have found out the "concerned"...Hopefully I will be allowed to express my opinion on their website as well... This website is open for all, therefore the concerned might start this thread straightaway...To reply on the other I need permission from the administrator... So I am patiently awaiting it...I am not going to be anonymous and will introduce myself in my first post.

Yvonne,
In my opinion Jimmy and Celia are very meticulous at re-homing dogs. You do not know all the circumstances that have determined this adoption. Not knowing facts it is better to refrain oneself from any harmful comments, especially in public. You should know that both Jimmy and Celia are mature people and do not make adoptions without the proper consideration. There must have been some factors telling them to do so. On top of that they have taken full responsibility for it. So far we have no right to question it.
Jimmy and Celia, I am so proud of you that you have devoted your retirement life to the hounds, renouncing lots of pleasures you might have experienced if you had not become the "slaves" of beautiful, innocent retired greyhounds.

Madam,
I believe you owe Celia and Jimmy, Sev (Ivy's foster-mum) and the Pages (Ivy's new family) a sincere and humble apology, and the forum would be a good place to record it.

Aw do u know what reading this kind of thread first thing in the new year just gets me so mad!! I don't know or indeed care about any of the politics or whatever behind this but see if someone has an issue with what a rescue or a person or whatever is doing just gonna pick up the phone and ask?? It is that simple!!
Could now go into a rant about the pros and cons of judging a home purely on a home check and how a "suitable" house doesnt necessarily mean a good home but I really can't be doing with it. Basically if anyone has any gripes or queries then have the bottle to directly approach the rescue or person in question.
To the new family of the puppy hope you all have a long and happy life together and dont take any notice of this stuff x

I just wanted to say i've never dealt with nicer people when it came to Celia & Jimmy. Its just funny how these people have to hide behind false identities to talk crap.

If Celia & Jimmy had any concerns they certainly wouldn't have rehomed the dog. Im just happy their hard work is paying off and another lovely dog is away to its forever home.

Celia & Jimmy keep up the great work, and as they say don't let doubters get you down!!

Hi Guys,
I'm getting a wee bit fed up with all the criticism GRF are receiving on another forum.
First I must point out that "concerned" is in fact Katie Sibbald the Chairperson, that is the leader of the Scottish Greyhound Sanctuary. Shame on you Katie for criticising another rescue on an open forum. A better person would have phoned privately to discuss their point. Shame on you Katie for going nameless so that SGS would not appear to be involved. Shame on you Katie for saying your second post was withdrawn with your name on it. I removed your ID after your first post so no second post could have been made.
We are being criticised as not conforming as a registered charity. We are not a registered charity so we don't need to.
You are however a registered charity openly criticising a like body. Principle 5 states that a registered charity will always act to high ethical standards -like criticising someone else?
You raise £31,489 in 2009 have several hundred members and around 17 dogs, most of which are in care.
We depend on friends' donations , have a few good friends and over 40 dogs in kennels. Only one is in care.
365 days a year we clean out, walk and feed approximately 40 dogs. The kennels and ground we use took our life savings and we do all we can to help unwanted dogs. Not bad for two old age pensioners. Any of you critics match that? If so, well done.
We have found good homes for 450 dogs. None were hung from bridges. Do you honestly beleve that we would jeapordise a puppies life?
We rescued the puppies from a trainer in case he sold them as Christmas presents. Would we then simply give them away?
We had two small children cuddling the pup saying please could we take her home? The mother and father were extremely nice people. We are doing a follow up check in a month. Would you tell the children forget it for a month. Sometimes a leap of Christian faith is required. We certainly don't feel that we are reducing our standards. We certainly do not feel that we are "getting desperate to rehome". We are doing quite nicely, thank you.
Your postings are simply making GRF sound a very irresponsible rescue and sorry to say, making SGS sound a rather nasty one. Neither way are you making greyhound rescues sound nice places. I have no intention of invading your site. I simply want to look after as many greyhounds as possible. You'd be well advised to simply do the same.
Before you post anything you should be aware of all that transpired.
I will give you all time to read this thread, look into a mirror and then I shall remove it all.
Small note - it is not long ago that your founder members invaded our forum.
I still keep copies of their comments.
Jimmy.

Jimmy,
Hope you got my message of support; for some reason im having difficulty posting on the forum.

Chin up!

Stewart and Elaine.

Quite sad to see SGS stoop to this vile attack on another rescue.
GRF has an open forum we have nothing to hide.
GRFs record in rehoming dogs speaks for itself.
GRF are dedicated to rehoming ex racing greyhounds and lurchers.
GRF are dedicated and passionate about the welfare of all our dogs in the kennels
GRF is a small band of volunteers committed to looking after these wonderful dogs.
WE ARE 100% BEHIND JIMMY &CELIA KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. BERT&IRENE McCURDY

Very sad that people have to stoop to this level. I wasn't aware rehoming and rescuing Greyhounds/animals was a competition and one had to try and outshine and belittle the other. How anyone can criticize the work Jimmy & Celia do is beyond me!? Two kinder, hardworking, dedicated..(I could go on all day) people I am yet to meet but a select few still need to act like school kids and try and destroy the amazing job these 2 people work tirelessly to achieve. LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND GROW UP! We are not at school any more, we are all adults and we should ALL be trying to achieve the same goal; to help these wonderful animals enjoy a long and happy retirement in a loving home. Bitchy and snidey remarks on an open forum are nothing but a puerile and vile attempt to undermine the huge effort everyone at GRF puts in and do nothing for anyone and least of all it can only effect the greyhounds in the long term. Anyone who attempts to harm an amazing set-up like GRF should really look at their own love of the dog, the time spent trying to belittle GRF should be spent trying to improve their own organisation (we can all improve no matter how perfect we think we are!).

It's not about individuals organisations it's about the greyhounds and as soon as you forget about that there is only one loser (and it's not us humans....)

As Bert & Irene mentioned in the previous post WE ARE 100% BEHIND JIMMY & CELIA.

We would like to pledge our support to Celia and Jimmy from us and Booker and Tula. As a result of their fantastic work and tireless efforts we have two beautiful and loving siblings.

There is many ways to determine someones suitability and we do not think we should be criticising each other like this.

As far as we are concerned, the sooner this thread comes off, the better. No one needs this!

Happy new year.

This whole episode greatly saddens me and the people I feel for are the family that adopted wee Ivy. All that was in their heart was to give a home to a rescued dog that would fit their family. A dog has found a home and surely that is what matters.

The following are very hurtful comments
"in any danger of the folk who will do anything to get a dog on the cheap"
"I've just been informed it was a pup, god I hope they are safe and aren't used to breed from :("
seemingly aimed at the adopters and I totally agree with Marion that the family is owed an apology by the poster of these comments.

Michele

All classy people would apologise to the family... Now all we can do is to wait for it...
I personally feel sorry for the family to have become a victim of all the fuss...
The people who started it seem not to know any diplomatic means how to deal with this kind of situation, making it public without considering the future results of such actions...First think, then act...never otherwise!

On advice I've locked this thread at the moment.
There will be no more postings.
Thanks to all the kind people who have supported us.
Let's all simply get on and save endangered greyhounds.
Jimmy and Celia.