Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
dog rocks

Hiya,

Just wondered if anyone had used dog rocks to stop lawn burn? They seem to get quite good reports, but I'm slightly wary of using them. Anybody heard anything - good or bad - about them?

Lisa

Re: dog rocks

My friend uses them for her chocolate lab and seems to like them ok.If you mean the ones you put in their water bowl?

Sorry to show my ignorance - but what is lawn burn?

Lawn burn happens when a bitch urinates on the one spot on the lawn like a yellow ring on the grass-the rocks change the urine ph so no burn.

Does it concern only bitches? I think it may concern male dogs as well...

I got green crystal things to sprinkle on the lawn as a deterrent - rubbish, Annie pee'd on top of them. Got the sulphur rocks for putting in the drinking water at one point but that wasn't very successful either. Now, got "stay green" tablets from the pet shop which seem to be OK but not for long-term use - winter is ideal time to stop use. Bitches are the main problem but no doubt dogs have an effect too (as I am now aware having Mikey in addition to Annie). Only fool-proof method is to chase them off but that's not always possible. There is also a spray called "lawn rescue remedy" if you can get to the area quickly enough or simply keep a watering can or hose nearby to dilute right away.