Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
dogs and cheese

My neighbour has just told me that I shouldn't give Ash cheese. She says dogs can't digest it. I know that chocolate is a problem for dogs, but I've never heard about cheese. Is this correct? Ash always appears when I'm cutting cheese for my two boys and always manages to get a little bit. She would be very unhappy if I have to stop giving her these treats.

Re: dogs and cheese

I think that a bit of cheese does not make any harm to her. If she does not tuck lots of cheese in and it is only a bit of the treat she likes why not give it to her...

If Breeze didn't get her cheesy treat at bedtime we would have a very serious Lurcher sulk! Cheese is her absolute favourite treat. Breeze has no after effects from cheese so we use it as the ultimate treat and a chunk of cheese always makes the worm tablet disappear.

Ace is the same. My lovely hubby makes my sandwiches for me in the mornings and Ace gets a little bit of cheese.
And when there are pills to take (as there was recently with his corn on his foot) cheese is the easiest way to get them into him.

No after effects noticed. Its not like you are giving them a whole block, just a titbit now and again cannot harm

Kaz, Pat and Ace xx

A small piece of cheese is fine after all its just dairy food but I must tell you all about Archie and his escapade the other night with half a box of dark chocolate Brandy liquers!you can all guess-we went upstairs to look at some clothes for a wedding and I stupidly left the box open on the couch-on returning his bed wad covered in chocolate and Archie was sound asleep!Sweetie was looking v sheepish but I dont think she had any-we kept an eye on him most of the night but he suffered no ill effects-just shows he is now well at home!!

Thanks everyone. I really couldn't believe that a little bit of cheese could be a problem. I also use it as a great place to hide Ash's worm tablet.

I cant believe this about cheese, my parents always give the dogs a bit of cheese as a treat for as long as i can remember and now Quincy loves when the block of cheese comes out too. Just a thought about the worming tablets. Our vet has prescribed Quincy for Advocate, its like a solution that comes in a little tube and is used once a month - a box lasts three months. You apply it in four areas along their back and it covers for everything pretty much, worms, mites the list goes on. My parents viszla has always been very sick with worming tablets so they use this as well now. Just a thought.

Karen