Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Muzzling a non greyhound

Hi folks!
Met a lady today when I was out walking Bambi who had been looking for me as my Bambi happily wears her muzzle (not sure where she heard about us like!!lol) Her problem is that she took on an 8 year old rescued looks like a jack russell crossed with something bigger and he doesnt like people touching him and so therefore she wants to muzzle him when he is out for his own safety as he has snapped and bitten. However, he is not so keen!! He apparently will let her put the muzzle on him but objects to keeping it on - anyone got any ideas of what she could do to help? She really is worried about it all she only got him in September and it sounds like she is making good progress with him but other people he just wont tolerate them touching him. Really felt for her as she is determined to stick by him and try let him enjoy his older years.

Re: Muzzling a non greyhound

Poor lady - what a dilemma. Good for her perservering too - It's all to easy to give up & pass the problem onto someone else. She must be making progress, albeit slowly if her dog even lets her put the muzzle on in the first place. Sorry I can't offer any advice tho. My 2 are muzzled when they are out but tolerate them no problem at all & I've never had any trouble with them keeping muzzles on

There is another type of muzzle. Sounds like a Baskerville muzzle we think. Perhaps it would be tolerable.
Celia and Jimmy.

I think the key here is perserverance. Any dog not used to a muzzle will try to remove it by rubbing it against your leg, or the ground, or the wall, or pretty much anything! That applies to both the solid muzzles and the elasticated fabric ones.

Puppies are the same with collars. First time a puppy has a collar on they hate it, but they soon realise that with the collar comes the walk and they end up happy with it. The muzzle is slightly different - I've never seen a dog wagging their tail desperately to have a muzzle put on, but given time they will tolerate it.

Maybe keeping him muzzled for short periods of time when at home would help. With time he should get used to it.