Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rehoming Susie

Good Evening All,

We have been looking at getting a dog for quite a while and really wanted to go down the right path in terms off adoption / rehoming as we have never had a dog before and knew it would be the best thing for us and the dog. We had heard a few stories about how good Greyhounds were so I eventually got down to some research and came across the Greyhound Rescue Fife.

I was really impressed, not only with the way this was run by Celia and Jimmy ( and all the volunteers) but also by the amount of support given by everyone involved to propspective dog owners. I contacted Celia and Jimmy about rehoming, and although we do have a cat they were more than happy to allow us to come up and have a look around and answer any questions we may have. So last weekend we took a trip up to have a look around.

They advised that Susie may be a good match for our home. Everyone was so welcoming and we took her out for a walk with Jimmy who was a fountain of knowledge. Susie was brilliant with the kids and we all fell in love with her. After having a chat with Celia back at the centre we agreed that as long as the home visit went well we would come back up the next weekend.

We arranged with Pamela to come over on Friday to do the home check and I set about making all the fences the correct height etc in the garden and closing off all escape routes. Pamela and her family came over last night for the home visit, along with her 2 hounds Sandy and Sparkle. It was great to see them and all went well, so it was a green light to head back up to the rescue centre the next day. Pamela even brought a dog warming gift in the shape of a raised feeding stand which was gratefully received.

So today we headed back up to see Susie and take her out for a walk etc. We cannot take her home until 27th Feb as we still have a few things to get for her, but we are so pleased and excited about having her in our home.

We know we've made the correct choice coming to GRF and the help and support it provides. We are looking forward to going back with her to let her run off her lead in the enclosed areas.

Thanks to Celia, Jimmy and everyone at GRF.

Evan

Re: Rehoming Susie

Great news. And welcome to the world of owning a greyhound. You wont regret it and with Celia, Jimmy and the volunteers at the kennels and us all on here, any problems you may have we can all help with.

We got our boy from GRF in July 09 and he is fantastic. We would love to take more but just dont have the room.

Good luck for 27th and hope you all have a great life together.

Kaz, Pat and Ace

Morning all,

Well we picked up Suzie yesterday from GRF at around noon and headed back to Falkirk. SHe was brilliant in the car, even with the 1hr delay before the Forth Road bridge due to an accident.
When we got back we took her out for a quick walk just in case she needed to to her business. After a number 1 we were back in the house and let her settle for a bit. She had a nosey all round and out to the garden and then we gave her a quick bath. She was really good a stood really still for most of it, only once trying to escape. She seemed to enjoy being towelled down and was revelling in all the attention.

After some relaxation and a chance to calm down and be herself she ate all her dinner with no issues and had a wee walk in the garden. Still no number 2.

In the evening we put her in her crate and introduced her to the cat. She had a good look but as she was in her crate she didn't seem to be too fussed. The cat was of course making it clear the she owned the house!!

Took Suzie out in the evening for a walk and still no rear end action so we were wondering how she would be overnight.

We left her in the living room overnight (so we can leave the upstairs free for the cat) and after 30 mins she started to whine and howl. I took a trip down to see her and assure her that we were still here. she was very jumpy and excited so it took a bit of time to calm her down. I headed back up to bed but again after 30 mins she was crying again.

So i bit the bullet (to keep the peace) and spent the night on the sofa, with Suzie now very content fast asleep on her bed. She slept well, me on the other hand not so great.

Morning came and with it the pleasant surprise of no accidents in her bed. Molly took her out for her morning walk and she did all her business in the park. What a relief. long may it continue.

i hope i haven't given her the impression that i'll be on the sofa every night and she'll soon be ok on her own in the evening. She has settled in really well and is great with the family. Fingers crossed we can make the walk on Sunday.

All the best

Evan

Great news evan. I will be in work most of the week if you want to ask any questions.

Thanks Pamela,

Came in to the store with her yesterday to try and get a coat. None fitted unfortunately so will come by again later.

yeah, sorry about that we used to do greyhound coats but not anymore. I get mine from greyhound megastore with their names on the side, They look cracking.

Superb Pamela. Will give it a look. She's settled in really well. Bit more whining and howling last night but we just left her to it for a bit and she eventually settled and went to sleep. Dog walker came today and took her out today and all was good. No accidents in the house either. She's been really patient with Niamh who is really excited she is here, and Suzie and the cat Tasha are still giving each other a good look up and down but we'll get there.

HI GLAD YOU HAVE DECIDED TO REHOME
A GREYHOUND YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT.

I HAVE TWO NOW FROM GRWE AND THEY GET
ON GREAT MALE AND FEMALE

DO YOU THINK YOU WILL GET ANOTHER ONE?

IF YOU WANT ANY ADVICE JUST SENT ME AN EMAIL OR
GO ON THE FORUM

Hi Janice,

Thanks. Yeah she's really great and we're loving having her. I would like to have 2 but one is definetily enough at the moment, especially with a cat in the house.