Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fostering of MAJ: Presenting her MAJesty the grey!

Jazz went back to kennels yesterday and back with us came MAJ.

Very different to both TC and JAZZ and quite a quiet, nervous dog but not overly nervous, maybe cautious would be a better word.

Quite submissive to our own 3 and amazingly Forth actually seems to really like this one! She must be something special!

Minnie has barked at her a couple of times but this is just what Minnie does on the first couple of days, I guess it's her way of letting the new dog know who is the 'dog' boss in the house! MAJ slots into her role quite well though, she has not come in and tried to take over, this usually is a good sign.

She seems to like the living room as her safe place as she is often seen peering round the door to see what we are up to instead of charging through JAZZ/MINNIE style to see if she can join in the fun!

She is a bit nervous on the walks but not too bad. She is interested but oh so cautious of everything that is around her.

I think our job will be to settle her and make her more comfortable with home life and the outside world.

So far there has been zero toilet accidents.

She has picked up a couple of nicknames already - MAJdonna, MAJy, MAJita and Her MAJesty.

Quite like MAJdonna myself.....

Re: Fostering of MAJ: Presenting her MAJesty the grey!

She looks like a fawn to me (a small black fawn ).
Since (from-don't know which is correct ) the very start she has been one of my favourites. She is a bit different than the rest of hounds (at least in the picture). I have never seen her whole figure but I suppose she is a very smart girl.

Stan

She is a beautiful looking girl. Fairly big for a female (not too far off the size of Forth n Jack) but she isn't one of the muscle bound females and she certainly does not use her size (as in you would think she is quite small the way she walks on the lead and trots around the house).

She has an amazing nature. I would be surprised if we have to discipline her much at all. Lyndsey has even managed to clean her teeth the past 2 nights without any bother at all.

Big change from the bouncy bouncy nature of Jazz who we just had.

Hi everyone
Sorry we have not been on much recently but Ben has loads of work on at the moment and Lyndsey has a cold. Anyway excuses over onto Maj.

Maj has come out of her shell in the last few days. She is far more interested in coming out of the living room and has managed up and down the stairs a number of times. Also she has started finishing most of her food now after leaving most of it in the first few days.

I have been cleaning her teeth which proved to be my biggest challenge yet! I’m guessing because she was a bit of a racer her diet was "interesting" as she had quite a build-up of plaque. Her teeth look great now and I can't say I didn't have fun picking away!

We have had a couple of accidents due to too much time between toilet visits but generally knows to keep it in and will go out (with the other two blacks) when prompted. She will learn a way of communicating her need when she gets her forever home.

She is quite shy on the walk and quite fearful of noise but completely unconcerned about other dogs. She does need to be coaxed to go for a walk though as she has found out how comfy the sofa is!

We had a bit of a panic today as we saw some red blobs on the floor (the last two females we fostered went into heat with us). It was fine though we soon realised it was just ketchup from our bacon roll! Phew....for now!!!

She has settled into home life really well and is a loving friendly beautiful black. Update you soon x

We are definitely seeing the more excitable side of Maj now. She can take the stairs with ease but isn’t that keen on coming back down. She enjoys going upstairs so much she is jumping up at the living room door to try and get up there. Trying to put a stop to that now as she responds quite well to correction.

She is not great at finishing her meals and would need attention during feeding with other dogs in case her food got stolen and she went hungry. Think she might be a bit of a grazer but does take it all at the second attempt.

She is still quite unsure on her walks although much less fearful. She does have a tendency to cross in front of you and nearly trip you up but she is very gentle on the lead with no aggression noted as yet towards any size of dog.

She had a wee bark at Forth the other day, the first time we heard her bark. Forth was determined to sit on the sofa it just happened that Maj was underneath him. Not happy. Either of them.

There is a possibility she may have had some accidents but with Minnie still struggling with accidents it hard to say who it is. She does have the capacity to hold it in for a while and has massive pees when taken outside. She is not quite looking for the door yet but goes out with the others.

Overall settling in well to home life and with some set rules would make a great addition to the family.

Poor Forth must have been surprised that Maj dared to tell him off He seems to be the King of the dog pack

Hey guys

Had a really good weekend with Maj. We went to Dunfermline for a wee spot of shopping down the high street with her "I need a home jacket" on and people were loving her. She was selling herself really well being the loving affectionate dog we know she is. We met some lovely people. Although she was quite fearful of the noise I think she coped well with her adoring fans. She also met quite a few other breeds of dogs and she didn't bat and eyelid at them. We think she has the potential to live with other dogs (dog dependent) as she is quite submissive and non-aggressive.

She has been in the car by herself the last few days and has started jumping in with ease. By the way she jumps up to the window frames outside we knew she had the ability but not the confidence. She is taking to the car like a pro now.

She is quite jumpy at times and the sound of children seems to frighten/intrigue her. She is not difficult to control at these times just requires reassurance and comfort. I think after time this problem will ease as she becomes accustom to her environment.

Cleaned her ears today and OMG she had the biggest load of mud/ear wax I have ever seen come out. Dirty job but someone’s gotta do it. Going for a long car journey soon so will update you guys on how she does.

There were plenty of adoring fans in this household for her Maj, she is gorgeous. Thank you so much Ben and Lyndsey for your visit, your doing a great job

Maj was quite taken by u guys aswell. Thanks for your kind comments.

Hey guys

We have been at the other end of Scotland cut off from civilisation so long time no post!

We took Maj up the road when we visited out parents in Morayshire and she was great on the long journey. She settled in the car well and did her business when prompted at stops.

When in others houses she was quite frightened and hid behind things alot but was easily reassured. She really has quite a fear of children making loud noises but not of children themselves. She would try to escape if left in the garden with loud noises about so it is imperative her house has a secure large fence.

She is taking her food really well now and is actually quicker than Forth!! Why she hasn't had indigestion at that rate is beyond me!?! She has also taken to trying to snap at food in your hand but won't climb on the counter to get it.

She sleeps well during the night and doesn't wake until you do. She is incredibly affectionate and would love to be around her adopted parents all day. She is a very beautiful greyhound with the most gorgeous smile. We will be sad to see her go when she goes back to the kennels for permanent rehoming in the next few days.