Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dog off his food

I wondered if anyone could give any advice re the link on the help and tips section on the website, 'is your dog off his food'. What kind of anti histamine is it you give and what dose? My parents viszla is a terrible eater ever since they lost their oldest dog over a year ago. They are willing to try anything.

Karen

Re: Dog off his food

From time to time Lucy goes off her food and we think it's through boredom of having the same thing. We've found adding chopped sausage, sardines, grated cheese or gravy helps.

You say the dog has gone off his/her food since the other dog passed away. Maybe he/she is feeling lonely and depressed - have your parents considered getting another dog for company?

Well since John and I rehomed Quincy just under a year ago Ghillie has been alot happier. They are in contact pretty much every day and I think in time my parents will rehome also. My brother also has an irish setter so he is contact alot with him also. They change what he has quite often and add different things to keep his interest up because he does go through stages of eating something for a little while then gets bored and so it goes on.

Karen

Ace is the same. He will happily eat on brand for a while, then suddenly decide he doesnt like it anymore. We now buy a variety and mix them up so he never knows what he's getting LOL!!

He also loves his veg and sardines and we bought doggie gravy granules (low salt) in pets at home (only £1) and if he is really reluctant to eat his dinner. a quick dosing of warm gravy usually does the trick!!

Karen, Pat and Ace

Aahh thankyou for this tip. My mum had said tonight about trying some gravy in his dinner and I had said not too because of the high salt content in most gravies. I was not aware you could get one specifically for dogs. I shall let her know about this.

Thankyou

Karen

The drug i believe would be periactin, commonly known to increase appetite in cats & used fairly commonly for that in the veterinary world. However my vets have recently advised me to try this in my greyhound when he was off his food, cant remember the dosage so perhaps phone the vet and ask.

Just a little update on Ghillie. My dad took him to the vet today as he just would not eat anything last few days and just was not his usual bouncy self. The vet thinks he may have a respitory infection or an infection in his gut so he has been treated with a course of antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory injection. We have to keep Quincy away at the moment so he doesnt catch anything but hopefully he will be on the mend soon. My mum made him mince which he ate which is a good sign. Hopefully they wont be apart for too long.

Karen

Ahh!! Poor lad. Hope he is better soon.

Give him a hug from us

Karen & Pat Brundell and Ace

Oh, I hope he gets better soon.

I make my own 'wet' food for my 2 and they love it - they go off their food when I have ran out of mince and give them tins instead!

I just cook mince, mixed veg & tinned tomatoes together and sometimes add the Wagg doggy gravy granules.

They then get a spoonfull mixed in with the dry mix and they scoff it!

I normally make huge quantities and freeze it. Its really cheap to do as well.

Laura

Wow Laura, that sounds amazing I think I would scoff my dinner to if I was getting that lol. He is feeling quite a bit better I think as he has started eating his dinner again which is really nice to see.

Thanks
Karen