Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Coco

Hello folks,
We're very happy to be a part of the Fife Greyhound Family with our new girl Coco settling in with our other girl, Lulu, very well (we'll post pics very soon). We welcomed her to her forever home on Saturday 26th May, many thanks to Celia and Jimmy for their help and advice.

Re: Coco

Coco is settling in beautifully! She is affectionate and gentle with Lulu, her new sister. She is learning the rules very quickly - no accidents in the house, and no chewing. She was a little nervous on her first night and needed company, but had a perfect night last night. She loves the local woods and is friendly and calm with strangers, both human and canine. She is cheeky, sweet and enormous fun. An absolute delight! We'll let you know how she's getting on!

That's good to hear. It would be nice to see some pictures of them together

Thank you Steve! Sent a photo along today - raining though, so I'll take more when the sun comes out :-) Coco is currently upside down in classic greyhound fashion, fast asleep after her tea. Gorgeous wee thing.

It's great to hear Catherine. Thank you for letting us know. Give her a cuddle from us.
Celia and Jimmy.

She enjoyed her cuddle, thanks Celia and Jimmy! She's very sharp - already learned not to shout when she hears dogs barking, and not to beg for food. Some tussles over heads in the bin might take a little longer!

Hi Catherine,

Congratulations on getting little coco. She is a gorgeous wee thing just like lulu. Would be lovely to see some pictures of them both together. Here's to many happy years with them both.

Take Care
Karen

Thank you so much Karen! She is just lovely, and is settling in beautifully. We'll try to get some better photos tomorrow and send them along. We couldn't stop thinking about her when we left on Thursday, just had to go and get her!

Big hugs to Quincy - you never know, we could have them all racing in the runs when you visit Jimmy and Celia next! Bye for now, Catherine

thanks for taking the chance on rehoming wee coco, she has a lovely nature and the most gorgeous eyes it was a pleasure to own her and i would have loved to bring her home with my old boys but it wasnt to be.

she loves her walks but occasionally used to let her stubborn streak come out and she would just stop and refuse to move until you tickled her ears and told her she was a good girl.

she loves chicken slices and never showed any sign of aggression towards the other dogs when we took them for a walk, she was very excitable when a rabbit would run out from the side of the grass though

Hello Liz,

Many thanks for writing, it's great to hear from you! Coco, now Stevie,is a credit to you. We've rehomed several ex-racing greyhounds, and most have had psychological problems of one kind or another; not so Stevie! She's such a happy, confident, well-balanced wee soul, and has obviously been very lucky to have had you and Jimmy and Celia looking after her.

We're learning all the time about her. She loves the beach, the woods, turkey, her sister, and cuddles. She's getting better about putting the brakes on while walking; a quick chirrup and she comes along. She's quite a vocal girl, surprisingly, and would make a good guard dog, although we're trying to dial it down a few decibels! She's brilliant about having her nails clipped, and puts up admirably with tooth brushing. She's a terrible thief, shameless, and then looks at you with those eyes... can't possibly get cross with her.

We're really loving having her around, she's such fun, and so affectionate. Thank you for taking such very good care of her.

We'll keep updating and let you know how she's getting on!

With all best wishes, Catherine

Hi everyone,
A wee 2nd week update on little Stevie's (Coco's) progress.
We've been getting the sleeping arrangements sorted out, she needs to know she's not alone at night! A bit of a struggle keeping her off the bed, shutting her in the hall didn't work as she would jump up at any sound from outside and start barking. The only one of the five greys we've had who actually barks! She's getting used to keeping quiet and staying in her own bed now though.
We've been out with our dog walking friends, she's met Soda, a Ridgeback, Maya and Charlie, Ridgeback/Lab cross and Lab, a few collies, and has responded well to meeting little terriers and spaniels. Just this morning at Kinross Boot Sale she had a Bedlington pup climbing all over her neck and was as good as gold! We also took the opportunity to go back to see Celia and Jimmy and let Stevie off the lead in the runs, she had a blast!
Basically, she's settling in really well and feels like she's been with us for ages already! Upside down most of the time, just your typical Greyhound!

she was always fine when we walked her with other greys never tried her with small things though

glad she's settling in she was a little star and i loved my visits to the kennels to see her just wished i had a bigger garden and sofa for her i think my old boys would have liked her but i'm happy to know that she's being looked after and someone else can see how great she is

Liz, she's amazing! She is so chilled and sociable around dogs, adults, children, everyone. She does get a little grumpy when males pay too much attention to her rear, but that's understandable and she's never snappy.

We left the two girls alone for an hour this afternoon to see how they did (it was ten minutes max until now), and came back to two sleeping dogs. No damage, no fuss; perfect. She's spent the whole evening upside down next to her (also upside-down) sister, fast asleep and dreaming. She'll be out for a last-thing constitutional, and then bed. Caddam Wood tomorrow!

I'm sure your old boys would have loved her, everyone does, but yes, rest assured she's doing fine and is really settling in beautifully. Will keep you updated!

Bye for now, Catherine

Hi Catherine

How's the cheeky wee monkey getting on, has she taken over the house yet

liz

Hello Liz! Stevie is doing really well, thank you! She IS a cheeky wee soul, definitely tries it on, but I think we have a handle on it :-) She is still stealing when we forget to baby-proof, but we have managed to get her not to throw herself around the house quite so much. She's so sociable; she loves to walk with our friends and their dogs, and to meet both people and dogs alike. We've decided she's actually a staffy/collie cross, as she makes a good noisy guard dog, and *never* gets tired! After a two hour walk, she still leaps up ready to go again! She's such fun, a really lovely dog.

We took her along to Jimmy and Celia's runs on Saturday and she tore up and down for a bit (to the bemusement of Lulu, her sister, who is a 'normal' greyhound and lazy!). We're still amazed by just how fast she is.

There are three new pictures of her on page 48 of the Post Your Pics page, by the way!

Thanks for your message Liz - hope you're keeping well. All best wishes, Catherine

Hi Catherine,

Its great to hear Stevie is doing so well. Its so rewarding seeing their little personalities coming out eh. The pictures are fabulous and Stevie looks wonderful in them. Hope you are all well.

Karen

Hi Catherine. Thanks for the lovely pics. Those pics of Stevie in the runs are some of the most striking we have ever had. Beautiful.
Celia and Jimmy.

Hello Karen, many thanks for the message! Yes, she's coming on a treat. How's your lovely boy Quincy? I'd love to see him at full stretch! Hopefully we'll be at the runs together some day. Have a great week! Catherine x

Very glad you like the photos, C & J! There will be more - you'll have to tell me to stop boring you :-) Have a great week, happy rehoming, Catherine x

Quincy is doing great. He has been at his grans today with his best bud ghillie, think they had a ball. Yea it would be good to meet Stevie too, quincy likes the ladies hehe.

Karen

Of course, Karen, I was forgetting we didn't have Stevie yet when we met you... well if you're ever planning to be in Kinross with Quincy on a Saturday, do let us know, we might be able to join you. We're usually there in the early afternoon. Would be great! C x

Fabulous photos of Stevie in the Baltree runs - thank you for sharing them. Someone has a real talent for catching the moment and pure joy of greyhound running. Stevie also helped by being hugely photogenic, of course. She looks so happy.

Thank you Marion! Stevie's a gift to photograph, she's a beautiful girl - and yes, she's happy! We're completely delighted with her. But the speed she goes, it's a matter of complete luck what pictures you finish up with :-)

hi Catherine,

Hope Stevie's still getting on well, i completely understand the craziness they can cause and the need for baby proofing as i have 3 greys and a lurcher here in the house, the boys, banjo (10), fiddle (11) and samson (nearly 9) are all angelic, well most of the time, but my wee girl belle (4) should be renamed fruitloop, she was next door to stevie when they were racing so i'm not sure which one caused the other to be as lively, i wouldn't swap her for anything though cos she's my girl, although i'm sure the boys wouldn't mind seeing the back of her for a while just to get some sleep without being pounced on to play

give stevie a big hug for me

liz

Hello Liz,

Very good to hear from you! Coco - Stevie - is doing so well. We're actually on our way home from our first holiday since taking her home; we've been away for three nights, and she's been staying with our friends, who also have two greyhounds. She did cry the first night, but settled down really well and has behaved impeccably - I'm so proud of her! Will probably be stories of stolen biscuits when we get back home in a few hours...

She loves Lulu, her greyhound sister, and is such a sweet and loving wee soul. She's fitted into the family perfectly. I must say it sounds as though your little girl may well have had an influence on her; she's always up for a good hurtle about. Can't wait to see her in four hours!

Hope you and your four (!) are all well!

All best wishes, Catherine